Ben Mink

Rod in Toronto

Maybe this topic belongs in Music of the Spheres and not here, but let's be honest, the biggest interest of this forum in Ben Mink is his collaboration with Rush. I will interview him this week, and would love it if you could suggest some questions. I have about 18 questions already, and would need a few more.
  • Like 3

How'd everything go about with breaking out Losing It for the first time in 2015? Ben's idea, one of the other guys's? How'd they put it together and decide on debuting it in Toronto with the increased risk of putting its debut on the filmed show?
  • Like 2

I'd like to know how Ben came up with the idea of creating his own customized electric violin and mandolin that have been used with FM, RUSH, and k.d. lang?

The photo gallery of his gear can be viewed here.

This clip shows both the mandolin and violin being played below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXklM_TQIxA

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3

How was he notified and what was the rehearsal process like?. Did he feel they pulled it off? What was the reaction afterward?

What were the differences between his version and Dinklage's? It was the highlight of the tour for this Rush fan.

• Like 2

How was he notified and what was the rehearsal process like?. Did he feel they pulled it off? What was the reaction afterward?

What were the differences between his version and Dinklage's? It was the highlight of the tour for this Rush fan.

In relation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Eye8gLiVM

Ben and Jonathan met on the Clockwork Angels Tour as noted by the photo here.

Left to right: Geddy, Jonathan Dinklage, Entcho Todorov, and Ben.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 4

Saw this earlier today and have been thinking about it. Thank you Rod in Toronto - hoping to see a link after the interview!

The whole idea of being inspired by Rush as a young adult, probably covered by enough questions.

The look of his bow toward the end of the song - obviously because it is a crazy wild solo, but also because it's over-tight to give the extra high notes? If the song was any longer, would his bow have exploded?!!

My question would be:

For Signals, he was said to have recorded a sort of "string ensemble" or played multiple parts with the violin. With Dinklage playing during the tour but then Mink playing in Toronto, was there a chance the two could have played together?

I kind of remember perhaps there was a schedule issue, hope I am getting that right, but I looked at some footage and I don't think they played together on the R40? If it had worked out, was there a chance they could have?

Cheers, good luck with the interview!

• Like 1

Saw this earlier today and have been thinking about it. Thank you Rod in Toronto - hoping to see a link after the interview!

The whole idea of being inspired by Rush as a young adult, probably covered by enough questions.

The look of his bow toward the end of the song - obviously because it is a crazy wild solo, but also because it's over-tight to give the extra high notes? If the song was any longer, would his bow have exploded?!!

My question would be:

For Signals, he was said to have recorded a sort of "string ensemble" or played multiple parts with the violin. With Dinklage playing during the tour but then Mink playing in Toronto, was there a chance the two could have played together?

I kind of remember perhaps there was a schedule issue, hope I am getting that right, but I looked at some footage and I don't think they played together on the R40? If it had worked out, was there a chance they could have?

Cheers, good luck with the interview!

Geddy mentioned in an interview that Ben performed on the Canadian dates in Toronto and Vancouver and Jonathan did the American dates in New York, New Jersey, and California.

Two violinists onstage taking turns at the violin parts on 'Losing It' would've been great.

It would've been like Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page trading guitar solos in The Yardbirds.

Neil mentioned the funny story about Ben performing 'Losing It' on Signals as noted here and here.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3

I should mention that in Canada there's a French prog-rock group called CANO, who are great.

Ben is featured on the band's last album Visible (1984), before they disbanded.

They had a single from the album titled 'Mets Tes Gants'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRT5J8Tqc_o

CANO performed at Expo 85 in Japan, where k.d. lang was also on the bill.

This is how Ben and k.d. lang met for the first time as noted by CANO co-founder David Burt here.

In June 2012 a CBC documentary on CANO titled CANO à contre-courant aired.

Also, Ben Mink appears in the documentary briefly

, which I've marked to view. Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

Here's another electric violin solo by Ben Mink that's a favourite of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOyiFCCbfbA

Lisa Dal Bello (stage name is Dalbello) is known to RUSH fans as the vocalist on 'Start Today' from Victor.

I'll also throw in the electric violin solo on 'I'm Fussy' by Mendelson Joe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MNsM2J4su4

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

Sadly, Ben cancelled on us...and by the tone of his email, there doesn't seem to be a chance to reschedule. Sorry everyone, and thank you for the great suggestions!!! I had a great time immersing myself in all his output during the weekend, and had 25 great questions for him. Oh well...
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear it!

TRF are probably a tiny drop in the Rush-Mink universe, but I sure hope it was not a lack of enthusiasm, here, that contributed to the cancellation.

And I always thought of the musicianship between them all but reading Wandering The Face Of The Earth, Ben was tasked with re-creating the Three Stooges opener for "The New World Tour", 1982. Wearing a more producer, theatrical hat.

Lots of trust there, and creative genius as it turned out fantastic!

Hoping for something in the future. These are such odd times, so many interruptions and barriers to collaborating with other artists.

Hoping that is the reason :)

I hate to judge, and maybe he's going through some tough times personally, but boy, was that a bummer!!!

Bummer indeed. Well, at least he got a lot of free promotion in the thread.

Last night I stumbled upon a 45 minute documentary uploaded of the first Festival of Friends three day music event in August 1976.

This event took place at Gage Park in Hamilton, Ontario with Ben Mink and Elliott Feldman on the bill as a duo.

They co-wrote 'Sofa Back' from the FM album Surveillance and 'Manish Tuna' from Ben's solo album Foreign Exchange.

Ben and Elliott first appear at the 3:58 mark with being interviewed, along with backing Canadian country and folk singer Colleen Peterson at the 5:20 and 11:32 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGojzxro7sE

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

The interview with Ben Mink that Rod did is finally available to listen to here.

There will be a YouTube version available soon from what Rod has told me.

As well, it's been posted on Canada Day.

Thanks for sharing, and for the help with the research material for this interview, man. Ben just sent me the pictures for the YouTube upload, and I'll post it here once it's ready.