Sub-Genre Poll - update?

treeduck

Which is your favourite music sub-genre  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite music sub-genre from this list?

• Hard Rock
    • Prog
    • Heavy Metal
    • Pop
    • Blues Rock
    • Rock n Roll

If you had to be pigeonholed into being described, for the most part, as a fan of your favourite sub-genre of music, what would it be? I think I did this before but I included too many options. This time we'll keep it simple and concise, relatively speaking. So ae you mostly a hard rock fan? A prog rock fan? A pop fan? etc

I'm a hard rock guy*.

*Those two clowns will make some Presto, HYF type crap remark before sundown.

• Like 1

In my day I would have been a heavy metal guy. Now, I understand that heavy metal means Cookie Monster singing about the joys of killing your mother while the musicians in the band have a race to see who can get through the song fastest.. So I guess it's now just hard rock I like.

LOL at Jackie saying he's a hard rock guy. Anyone who worships Presto and HYF the way he does is obviously a show tunes fan, but I don't see that option listed.

Hmm? What? Oh, didn't even see that. ;)

• Like 1

In my day I would have been a heavy metal guy. Now, I understand that heavy metal means Cookie Monster singing about the joys of killing your mother while the musicians in the band have a race to see who can get through the song fastest.. So I guess it's now just hard rock I like.

LOL at Jackie saying he's a hard rock guy. Anyone who worships Presto and HYF the way he does is obviously a show tunes fan, but I don't see that option listed.

You're only describing death metal there. That is not the genre as a whole these days.

You're only describing death metal there. That is not the genre as a whole these days.

Periodically I mention that I think of, say, Back in Black or Pyromania as metal, and I'm told they're not. So I'm thinking maybe I don't know what the genre means anymore.

• Like 1

I'm a hard rock guy*.

*Those two clowns will make some Presto, HYF type crap remark before sundown.

I guess if you misidentify pizza it's no big deal to misclassify your taste as well. Never heard of a hard rock guy say he didn't like Sabbath before.

Prog.

Thanks, I'll show myself out.

I had you down as metal or blues rock.

Prog first - Yes and Rush

Blues Rock (I think Classic Rock fits in here.)

Metal

What about hard rock then?

After metal, but before rock-and-roll.

Eh, I don't think I can say. My favorite band is Queen and they hit all of these categories at some point of another pretty equally. I'm a fan of rock ion general. That's my gig. If it rocks, I'm into it.

Eh, I don't think I can say. My favorite band is Queen and they hit all of these categories at some point of another pretty equally. I'm a fan of rock ion general. That's my gig. If it rocks, I'm into it.

I'm much more into Queen today over the hair metal shit I used to listen to. I dig ELO now too. CATS in SPACE!

• Like 1

I picked hard rock. Which is true, it is my favorite; but what I grew up with in the 70's as hard rock was really blues based rock anyway, so maybe both? (treeduck has confused me again! :lol: :lol: ). I guess I am thinking of groups like Cream, Mountain, Led Zeppelin, and ZZ Top; go figure. But I know what I like when I hear it! :P

The only genres I'm interested in are good music vs. bad music. And it's all subjective.

Ultimate answer.

The only genres I'm interested in are good music vs. bad music. And it's all subjective.

Ultimate answer.

Punk and hip hop aren't there yet both genres have had some greatness. Most of both genres in the past decade are crap now, though. Cardi B and Fallout Boy have nothing on Public Enemy and The Clash.

Edited by invisible airwave

Ultimate answer.

Punk and hip hop aren't there yet both genres have had some greatness.

Along with Jam, New Wave, Ska Revival, Post Modern...

RR nailed it with good music. What I like I really enjoy, and the rest I don't have much time for.

• Like 1

Ultimate answer.

Punk and hip hop aren't there yet both genres have had some greatness. Most of both genres in the past decade are crap now, though. Cardi B and Fallout Boy have nothing on Public Enemy and The Clash.

Well, I'm a big fan of Fall Out Boy, but to me they're just not punk. Sure the guitars have a punk sort of style in their excessive power chords and the drums are pretty heavy and speedy, but the underlying music is as purely pop as MJ. Cardi B on the other hand, a big meh from me. Give me Kendrick every day of the week.

Of these, probably metal.

Generally speaking probably punk.

Realistically I am a big fan of most genre from rap to bluegrass to reggae to death metal to electronic.

But if I must be pigeonholed- punk

Been listening to a lot of Motorhead at work lately, so I guess I still qualify as metal. Hard rock is a definite yes, some prog and some blues rock.