Caress Of Steel (1975): Songs Elimination (Round 3)

_hi_water._

18 members have voted

1. 1. Eliminate:

• Bastille Day
    • The Necromancer
    • The Fountain Of Lamneth

I chose to eliminate Bastille Day. Whilst it was one of the first Rush songs I ever heard, I suppose I have just grown too familiar with it.

As I get older (but not necessarily wiser!!) I tend to gravitate towards the more complex songs.

• Like 2

The eternal music question (sort of) - adopting thinking pose - do you choose the songs you liked originally or on 1st hearing or do you choose the growers? How do you determine which is objectively the 'best'? Is there no such thing and is it just the relationship between time taken to fully appreciate the nuances of some pieces. Maybe as time flows, everything has it's moment as one of the favored songs or it's moment in the sun, if you will.

No bugger it. Some songs are just cr*p but luckily all the ones on COS, for me, are not in that category!

It's weird. Only ever having heard CoS on CD (and not on vinyl, when you'd have to get up and change sides between Necromancer and Fountain)... I've always perceived Necromancer and Fountain as being the same song.

They're both multi part epics, but the gap between the songs doesn't sound any different than the gaps between any of the sections within the songs. Without having to physically change the album sides, it took me a while before I noticed where Necromancer stopped and Fountain started.

So, in closing, I've always considered "The Necromancer of Lamneth" to be one 32 minute epic that crushes Bastille Day

That's just how I've always heard it :huh:

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 2

It's weird. Only ever having heard CoS on CD (and not on vinyl, when you'd have to get up and change sides between Necromancer and Fountain)... I've always perceived Necromancer and Fountain as being the same song.

They're both multi part epics, but the gap between the songs doesn't sound any different than the gaps between any of the sections within the songs. Without having to physically change the album sides, it took me a while before I noticed where Necromancer stopped and Fountain started.

So, in closing, I've always considered "The Necromancer of Lamneth" to be one 32 minute epic that crushes Bastille Day

Same -- except for the crushing "Bastille Day." Isn't the sameyness of the Necromancer of Lamneth an argument against it? BD, though, is a heavy metal burst of controlled aggression wrapped in history, delivered with panache.

• Like 4

Same -- except for the crushing "Bastille Day." Isn't the sameyness of the Necromancer of Lamneth an argument against it? BD, though, is a heavy metal burst of controlled aggression wrapped in history, delivered with panache.

I think it's more the vibe of Necromancer/Lamneth that just speaks to me more. I kind of get lost in that world.

Plus, those lengthy guitar solos hit me right where I like it

Necrometh is about 2-3 minutes of great instrumentation surrounded by half an hour of embarrassment.
  • Like 2

I chose to eliminate Bastille Day. Whilst it was one of the first Rush songs I ever heard, I suppose I have just grown too familiar with it.

As I get older (but not necessarily wiser!!) I tend to gravitate towards the more complex songs.

It was one of the first songs I ever heard too, the ATWAS version. ATWAS was the second RUSH album I ever heard after Permanent Waves back in 1980, and I thought it was two different bands at first!

• Like 2

It was one of the first songs I ever heard too, the ATWAS version. ATWAS was the second RUSH album I ever heard after Permanent Waves back in 1980, and I thought it was two different bands at first!

Yeah, it shows how their sound was changing even within that short space of time......... and would change even more into the '80s!!
  • Like 2

Yeah, it shows how their sound was changing even within that short space of time......... and would change even more into the '80s!!

Aye!

• Like 1

I think it's more the vibe of Necromancer/Lamneth that just speaks to me more. I kind of get lost in that world.

Do you like the TV show from the 80's featuring crooked wheeler dealer Arthur Daley and his hapless ex-boxer cohort Terry McCann?

Do you like the TV show from the 80's featuring crooked wheeler dealer Arthur Daley and his hapless ex-boxer cohort Terry McCann?

Your reference went over my head , so clearly not :D
  • Like 1

Bastille day is great, but it's really those two long songs (or one long song, like I argued in my earlier post) that make CoS a top 5 Rush album for me.
  • Like 2

You've never seen it?? :o

:o

:o :o

How are you surprised by that? The only show that Lion watches is Dr Who.

• Like 1

:lol:

:lol:

Oh well you need to watch it!