Worst Song on Grace Under Pressure?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Worst Song on Grace Under Pressure? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Worst song on P/G?

1. Distant Early Warning (1 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

2. Afterimage (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

3. Red Sector A (1 votes [3.03%])

4. The Enemy Within (1 votes [3.03%])

5. The Body Electric (8 votes [24.24%])

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

6. Kid Gloves (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

7. Red Lenses (15 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

8. Between The Wheels (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Rhyta

Rhyta

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1998 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:10 AM

View Postzepphead, on 24 March 2021 - 10:05 AM, said:

Red Lenses - A duff song on a pretty mediocre album.
Mediocre?  Can't agree with you there. I didn't take the poll because I love GUP, it was one of the albums that hooked me.  I came along late in their career so I didn't know as much about the older albums.  I played GUP over and over and I don't think there is one song I don't like.  As for Red Lenses, the line "The national midnight star, it's true!!'  it cracks me up everytime.  Putting the tabloids in their place :laughing guy:

Sponsored Post

#22 Flavia2112

Flavia2112

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Music, writing, politics, and art

Posted 25 March 2021 - 01:57 AM

View PostRhyta, on 25 March 2021 - 12:10 AM, said:

Mediocre?  Can't agree with you there. I didn't take the poll because I love GUP, it was one of the albums that hooked me.  I came along late in their career so I didn't know as much about the older albums.  I played GUP over and over and I don't think there is one song I don't like.  As for Red Lenses, the line "The national midnight star, it's true!!'  it cracks me up everytime.  Putting the tabloids in their place :laughing guy:
I may be dense, but I don't get the National Midnight Star thing.

#23 zepphead

zepphead

The Professor

• Members
  • 4222 posts
  • Interests:Music .. Collecting music, listening, attending concerts, gym, horse racing, travelling, food & drink.

Posted 25 March 2021 - 03:04 AM

That's the wonderful thing about Rush, over such a long career they have produced albums that have appealed to everybody. Whilst some find certain albums mediocre, others absolutely adore them ...... but we are still united under the banner of the family of Rush fans. I think that's what make the band so great and indeed this forum also!

#24 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

The Professor

• Members
  • 3547 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 25 March 2021 - 06:56 AM

View PostFlavia2112, on 25 March 2021 - 01:57 AM, said:

Some of the older heads may need to correct me, but I think there was a Rush fanzine in the early '80s called the National Midnight Star -- but the gag of using the title there is the similarity with tabloid names, like the Sun or the Star, with their blaring alarmist headlines. It's a knock on tabloid breathlessness and an inside joke, all rolled into one!

Still my least favorite song on one of my favorite albums.

#25 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6900 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 25 March 2021 - 10:49 AM

It's an SCTV thing - a comedy sketch about a tabloid.  I think Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson went to school with one or two of the cast members.

Edited by toymaker, 25 March 2021 - 10:49 AM.

#26 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1840 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:20 PM

1 00 1 00 1

SOS (Save Our Song)

#27 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4212 posts
  • Interests:Very few interests, but many passions

Posted 25 March 2021 - 03:09 PM

After some consideration, voted for Afterimage. It`s a strong album alright, with three tracks that I don`t think are quite as strong as the others - Afterimage, Red Lenses, The Body Electric.

#28 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 79331 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 25 March 2021 - 08:40 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 25 March 2021 - 10:49 AM, said:

It's an SCTV thing - a comedy sketch about a tabloid.  I think Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson went to school with one or two of the cast members.

@2:05, the proof of life after death bit!  :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

#29 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridgeâ„¢

• Members *
  • 11368 posts
  • Interests:Living things

Objects

Posted 27 March 2021 - 09:44 AM

1-00-1....whatever

#30 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 97334 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 10:25 PM

The Body Electric followed by The Enemy Within and Red Lenses.

#31 Dude111

Dude111

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 10:27 PM

It was hard for me to vote as I love every song on that record!!

I have the record and cassette.......

#32 Rhyta

Rhyta

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1998 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 30 March 2021 - 05:40 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 25 March 2021 - 10:49 AM, said:

I thought it was a Canadian tabloid like our National Enquirer but it was in a skit on SCTV, thanks for finding this.  Still fun, throwing shade at the infotainment industry.

#33 78jazz

78jazz

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 03:52 PM

View PostNova Carmina, on 25 March 2021 - 06:56 AM, said:

Some of the older heads may need to correct me, but I think there was a Rush fanzine in the early '80s called the National Midnight Star -- but the gag of using the title there is the similarity with tabloid names, like the Sun or the Star, with their blaring alarmist headlines. It's a knock on tabloid breathlessness and an inside joke, all rolled into one!

I guess I am in trouble for picking Kid Gloves then...

#34 Flavia2112

Flavia2112

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Music, writing, politics, and art

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:02 PM

View Post78jazz, on 04 April 2021 - 03:52 PM, said:

View PostNova Carmina, on 25 March 2021 - 06:56 AM, said:

I guess I am in trouble for picking Kid Gloves then...
Kid Gloves? You picked Kid Gloves? Come on!!

#35 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21979 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 05 April 2021 - 10:59 PM

Red Sector A is my least favorite song from the album. Two reasons I think. The intro guitar just really jangles my nerves and the second reason is just the subject matter. It brings up such horrifying images of the Holocaust.

#36 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 11241 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:49 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 05 April 2021 - 10:59 PM, said:

Red Sector A is my least favorite song from the album. Two reasons I think. The intro guitar just really jangles my nerves and the second reason is just the subject matter. It brings up such horrifying images of the Holocaust.

:hi: Hi there, Eagle!

#37 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

I've got a link for that!

• Members
  • 3494 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 08:20 PM

Some information on 'Red Lenses' here that's worth a read, along with a blogger commentary here.

'Red Lenses' in a way was probably like pulling teeth for the band when it came to writing the song.

'Wish Them Well' was also rewritten many times from interviews read.

Edited by RushFanForever, 06 April 2021 - 08:25 PM.

#38 jnoble

jnoble

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1561 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:54 PM

Kid Gloves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users