Classical composer reacts to La Villa

treeduck

I play La Villa on guitar, and you may not realize this, but that guy IDed the chords in a matter of **seconds**.

Unless he had a keyboard or guitar out of frame, he's gifted with perfect pitch.

He must be a professional or something. ;-)

Also, it was nice to see that classical composers make stankface too.

• Like 3

I play La Villa on guitar, and you may not realize this, but that guy IDed the chords in a matter of **seconds**.

Unless he had a keyboard or guitar out of frame, he's gifted with perfect pitch.

I watched a few of his other videos, he always picks out the chords and chord progressions and key changes etc.

• Like 2

I watched a few of his other videos, he always picks out the chords and chord progressions and key changes etc.

This guy is like a kind of wizard..... the chord wizard
  • Like 2

A trained classical musician extolling the virtues of Ged, Al and Neil verifying what we knew for years, at least on a subconscious gut level even if most of us aren't trained like he is. Welcome aboard the Rush train my man. Once you're on, you never want to get back off.
  • Like 5

That was fun to watch!

Interesting that he didn't recognize the nod to Raymond Scott's "Powerhouse" during the Monsters section (he likened it something from the Aladdin). It's a pretty well-known piece from it's use in cartoons (classic and later, like Animaniacs), and by allusions to it from other bands over the years. Here it is...at 1:34 the most familiar bits from Strangiato:

http://youtu.be/YfDqR4fqIWE?t=94

Edited by goose
  • Like 6

He does have excellent pitch. If i'm not mistaken, the last chord played on the classical is an F, which he seems to have heard as a C, but I think his ear may have been tricked by the C9 chord that comes in on the electric.

Tbh I think that most of the chord progressions of La Villa are fairly obvious, it's the execution that's amazing.

Yep.

Yeah, it's not the chords, which are standard.

It's Alex's amazing playing over those chords.

It's also the 20+ time signature changes packed into ten minutes.

• Like 1

Tbh I think that most of the chord progressions of La Villa are fairly obvious, it's the execution that's amazing.

Yep.

Yeah, it's not the chords, which are standard.

It's Alex's amazing playing over those chords.

His use of arpeggios is pretty much unrivaled, imo.
  • Like 2

That was fun to watch!

Interesting that he didn't recognize the nod to Raymond Scott's "Powerhouse" during the Monsters section (he likened it something from the Aladdin). It's a pretty well-known piece from it's use in cartoons (classic and later, like Animaniacs), and by allusions to it from other bands over the years. Here it is...at 1:34 the most familiar bits from Strangiato:

http://youtu.be/YfDqR4fqIWE?t=94

I wondered about that as well. Maybe he wasn't allowed to watch cartoons when he was a kid. Get back to that piano, young man!

Isn't the sad thing that this and Book Two (I think) killed off this way of playing. Or rather, apparently learning to play these wore them out so much that they swore not to do this kind of thing again. Well sort of.

But then again, many would say that it wouldn't have paved the way for Permanent and Moving Ps...

On another note, it makes me wonder if they'd played it safe after Caress of Steel, and had some minor hits to keep the record company happy, whether they would have ever gone down this 'Yes'-inspired route.

More blues based hard rocking, less prog and probably petered out after a few albums. Maybe.

On another note, it makes me wonder if they'd played it safe after Caress of Steel, and had some minor hits to keep the record company happy, whether they would have ever gone down this 'Yes'-inspired route.

More blues based hard rocking, less prog and probably petered out after a few albums. Maybe.

I was just watching a video on YouTube where Paul Stanley talked about Rush as an opening band. It was clear that he considered the debut album to be the high point of Rush's career.

SMH

I don't even know what to say except ... he really does have dumb ears. Which shouldn't surprise me, but it does.

• Like 1

I was just watching a video on YouTube where Paul Stanley talked about Rush as an opening band. It was clear that he considered the debut album to be the high point of Rush's career.

SMH

I don't even know what to say except ... he really does have dumb ears. Which shouldn't surprise me, but it does.

It's telling that the guys in KISS not named Ace never did much jamming/improvising offstage

• Like 1

SMH

It's telling that the guys in KISS not named Ace never did much jamming/improvising offstage

Whatever one thinks about KISS, they did give Rush a bit of help by taking them out on the road. From the Rush doc, it seems that the 'Canadian Zeppelin' thing that they enjoyed (Gene Simmons imitating Geddy on the film was slightly amusing) from the Toronto trio seemed to be dissipating from Caress onwards which confused them a bit.

As Geddy said, when they played it for Paul Stanley, he just 'didn't get it'....

Would they have still made it without that support slot? Who knows but they were supporting lots of other bands I believe at the time.

I think that the popular craze of "reaction" videos ( some of which I really, really enjoy) has morphed into, or at least created a subset of "expert" reactions...and a lot of times I can't help but feel I'm being grifted while I watch. There are a few "drum experts" or "drum teachers" reacting to Neil Peart solos on youtube...and a lot of it is just someone saying "this guy's insane!" It's like all they want is someone like me, a fan of Neil's, to "like" their video and say "totally, dude - he's the greatest ever!" But Peart was not "insane", and any real expert on the instrument would understand everything he is doing - while also being aware that he is doing it at a high level of skill.

I watched classical composer guy's reaction to Xanadu, and found it, relative to him being a composer, really short on insight and expertise. As stated elsewhere in this thread, I don't think Rush's chord progressions are what make them a unique band at all. Having some guy comment on a verse being in E (like, THE most standard chord in rock music) and then moving to D for a chorus just has very little value, in my opinion. And, I wouldn't knock a non-musician for this whatsoever, but when he was saying there was a section of Xanadu that was in 7 because he got confused by the "push" in that riff... well, that really made it hard for me to listen to anything else he had to say...

• Like 2

I think that the popular craze of "reaction" videos ( some of which I really, really enjoy) has morphed into, or at least created a subset of "expert" reactions...and a lot of times I can't help but feel I'm being grifted while I watch. There are a few "drum experts" or "drum teachers" reacting to Neil Peart solos on youtube...and a lot of it is just someone saying "this guy's insane!" It's like all they want is someone like me, a fan of Neil's, to "like" their video and say "totally, dude - he's the greatest ever!" But Peart was not "insane", and any real expert on the instrument would understand everything he is doing - while also being aware that he is doing it at a high level of skill.

I watched classical composer guy's reaction to Xanadu, and found it, relative to him being a composer, really short on insight and expertise. As stated elsewhere in this thread, I don't think Rush's chord progressions are what make them a unique band at all. Having some guy comment on a verse being in E (like, THE most standard chord in rock music) and then moving to D for a chorus just has very little value, in my opinion. And, I wouldn't knock a non-musician for this whatsoever, but when he was saying there was a section of Xanadu that was in 7 because he got confused by the "push" in that riff... well, that really made it hard for me to listen to anything else he had to say...

A cynic might say the whole trend is simply making a profit off pretending to like people's favorite songs. And he wouldn't be far off.
  • Like 3

A cynic might say the whole trend is simply making a profit off pretending to like people's favorite songs. And he wouldn't be far off.

He'd be spot-on in most cases. Reaction channels are frequently about building up a big enough subscriber base to monetize the channel.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

He'd be spot-on in most cases. This is frequently all about building up a big enough subscriber base to monetize one's channel.

Well, his political videos have very few views and seem to garner equal hate and praise. His reaction views are much more popular, and they seem to revolve around a specific type of music and a few artists.