Jethro Tull are three-quarters of the way through recording their first official album since 2003, called THE ZEALOT GENE!

treeduck

Ian Anderson announced plans for a new Jethro Tull album, The Zealot Gene — the first under the band's name since its 2003 Christmas LP.

The bandleader broke the news to Rolling Stone while detailing another new project: a book, Silent Singing, that compiles all his lyrics from Jethro Tull's 1968 debut, This Was, through the upcoming record.

Silent Singing, out in June, is available to pre-order. However, he's yet to announce a release date for The Zealot Gene; the band began work on the album in 2017 and is reportedly three-quarters of the way through the recording.

"There's some photographs I took to illustrate particular songs, and there's even a foreword from that young Gerald Bostock," Anderson says in a video teaser, referencing the fictional character from the packaging of Jethro Tull's 1972 LP, Thick as a Brick. "If you pre-order, you'll get an early bird discount on your choice of three different editions of Silent Singing and the chance to have your name printed in it too."

The songwriter told Rolling Stone he began work on Silent Singing during the COVID-19 pandemic, realizing he wanted to have his "correct, accurately transcribed" lyrics in one place.

Anderson also previewed the title track from The Zealot Gene, referencing the line, "‘Bee buzzing in your bonnet / and a wasp right up the bum / a V8 under hood / a cocked hammer under thumb.'"

He added, “It’s about getting your knickers in a twist, we would say. Getting hot and bothered and agitated. I’m not a Twitter guy at all, but ‘we know who’ is the arch Twitterer of recent years, which was both a success and ultimately his downfall. It’s that kind of vehemence or zealotry, which comes with a point of view and wanting to indoctrinate people with a very polarized and divisive view."

Though The Zealot Gene will be the first official Jethro Tull album in nearly two decades, Anderson has released multiple albums in the interim, including 2012's Thick as a Brick 2, 2014's Homo Erraticus and 2017's Jethro Tull — The String Quartets (with John O'Hara and the Carducci String Quartet).

• Like 1

1.) It's not Tull without Martin Barre

2.) Anyone who has seen Ian Anderson's "Jethro Tull" in the past several years knows that "silent singing" would be a vast improvement.

• Like 6

2.) Anyone who has seen Ian Anderson's "Jethro Tull" in the past several years knows that "silent singing" would be a vast improvement.

Which is absolutely NOT true of Jeff Lynne's ELO.

Edited by driventotheedge

ouch - but I can't say these observations are not without merit.

But I still have the 40th Anniversary Edition of "A" on pre-order and will continue to buy those 40th Anniversary Editions up to Crest (2 more to go). Not likely to get the lyric book or the new album though.

• Like 1

ouch - but I can't say these observations are not without merit.

But I still have the 40th Anniversary Edition of "A" on pre-order and will continue to buy those 40th Anniversary Editions up to Crest (2 more to go). Not likely to get the lyric book or the new album though.

Well the old stuff will still be great no matter what the new band is up to.

• Like 1

I would concur on both points.

He would be better just calling this an Ian Anderson solo album ..... Tull finally disappeared when Anderson 'did the dirty' on Martin Barre.

• Like 3

I thought TAAB2 was pretty horrendous.

It would be great to get that lineup of Barre, Evan, Hammond, Anderson and Barlow back together. And Palmer.

• Like 1

Which is absolutely NOT true of Jeff Lynne's ELO.

Last Train to London is playing right now...

:cheerleader:

I need to do a serious deep dive into the Tull catalog. I know Aqualung pretty well and I have heard Thick As A Brick and a few others. I have always liked what I heard but never went all in on them.

I recommend it. I'd start chronologically because I like those early R&B-influenced albums where they were doing things like "Cat's Squirrel." For the later 70s, Songs From the Wood is good. What's your tolerance for live albums? Bursting Out is good, Isle of Wight is good.

Other than Aqualung, I don't know if any one of their albums is 100% gold from beginning to end, so there will be clunkers, but there will also be moments of genius.

• Like 2

I need to do a serious deep dive into the Tull catalog. I know Aqualung pretty well and I have heard Thick As A Brick and a few others. I have always liked what I heard but never went all in on them.

You can't go wrong with Tull.

• Like 4

I have always had a soft spot for the so called 'folk trilogy' -

220px-Jethro_Tull_Songs_from_the_Wood.jpg

220px-JethroTull-albums-heavyhorses.jpg

220px-Stormwatch_%28album_cover%29.jpg

I think this was Tull at their zenith. In my view the decline set in after Stormwatch.

Sure, there were still some good things, but the great days were behind them.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 6

I think this was Tull at their zenith. In my view the decline set in after Stormwatch.

The thing about the folk trilogy for me is, well they always sounded a little bit folky anyway. In fact Minstrel in the Gallery is way more folky-sounding than Stormwatch to my ears.

• Like 4

The thing about the folk trilogy for me is, well they always sounded a little bit folky anyway. In fact Minstrel in the Gallery is way more folky-sounding than Stormwatch to my ears.

Yeah, I don't know why these three were given the folk trilogy tag as there have been folk elements through their other albums.

But without doubt Songs From The Wood is their most out and out folky album.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

Yeah, I don't know why these three were given the folk trilogy tag as there have been folk elements through their other albums.

But without doubt Songs From The Wood is their most out and out folky album.

Yeah I'll agree on that.

• Like 1

I recommend it. I'd start chronologically because I like those early R&B-influenced albums where they were doing things like "Cat's Squirrel." For the later 70s, Songs From the Wood is good. What's your tolerance for live albums? Bursting Out is good, Isle of Wight is good.

Other than Aqualung, I don't know if any one of their albums is 100% gold from beginning to end, so there will be clunkers, but there will also be moments of genius.

I listened to JT from This Was through A Passion Play, and then dropped out. Lots of good material in that period, and saw them perform at Cobo in the mid-80s, preceded by Robin Trower and Co.
  • Like 1

I like Ian's writing, but I have to agree that this to me isn't Tull.

Martin's sound mattered too much.

That doesn't mean I won't check it out, but ditching Barre was just wrong.

• Like 2

I'll pop down the road and ask Martin if he's heard anything. He comes from King's Heath in Birmingham - I've no idea where he lives these days but I like to think he's there still somewhere.

You should have heard JTull (with Martin) at the Mosley Folk Festival a decade or so ago. Blew all the folkies eardrums out with the volume!! I Ian did it on purpose to show he's his own man, or something.

I was going to say the same things. We drummers are connected. I wouldn't waste a second on this album or Ian anymore. Tull without Barre is like a missing engine under the hood of a Cobra Mustang.

I saw Ian Anderson few years ago do both "Thick" albums. I was totally bored and then he stopped to show to promote prostate cancer. Good cause but I didn't pay money to listen to that shit. Common sense.

These fuckking arrogant musicians laying their own agendas on their paid customers. "It's A Plain Shame."

I remember seeing Don Henley at the Concord Pavilion. He stopped the show to talk about saving the redwoods for 20 minutes. What a fuckking joke. I left.

• Like 1