Alex Lifeson and Kim Mitchell - 1978 JUNO Awards footage

RushFanForever

Yesterday, I viewed a new interview with Canadian singer-songwriter Dan Hill.

Hill won numerous JUNO awards in 1978 for his song 'Sometimes When We Touch' and RUSH was nominated and won for Group of the Year.

When RUSH accepted their award, Alex Lifeson made the funny comment of "We'd like to thank Dan Hill for not being a group".

There's brief archive footage of Lifeson and Kim Mitchell at the 0:46 mark for about 15 seconds referencing the above mentioned JUNO awards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHT68Nng75Y

I hope there isn't geographical restrictions for fans outside of Canada to see the footage.

• Like 5

They don't show it in that clip...but you can find the whole award clip, in really bad shape, on Youtube. When they're reading the nominees, Kim Mitchell makes a joke out of Dan Hill's song... something like "sometimes when we brunch, they eggs cost too much by Dan Hill", and they cut to Hill...and he is not laughing.

I'm not a huge Dan Hill fan...but I'm sure to get nominated for a Juno and then have that Go-For-Soda dickhead make a stupid joke like that right then must have been super annoying. I hope Hill whispered a little F**k You to him as he took the award from him.

They don't show it in that clip...but you can find the whole award clip, in really bad shape, on Youtube. When they're reading the nominees, Kim Mitchell makes a joke out of Dan Hill's song... something like "sometimes when we brunch, they eggs cost too much by Dan Hill", and they cut to Hill...and he is not laughing.

I'm not a huge Dan Hill fan...but I'm sure to get nominated for a Juno and then have that Go-For-Soda dickhead make a stupid joke like that right then must have been super annoying. I hope Hill whispered a little F**k You to him as he took the award from him.

This is probably the clip below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=789_466Ldvs

• Like 1

"Go-for-a-Soda dickhead"?

First off "Sometimes When We Brunch" is pure schmaltz, and second, KM is a f***in' rock legend - show some god damn respect.

Dan Hill is a one hit wonder with apparently, no sense of humour

• Like 1

I appreciate RUSH, Kim Mitchell, and Dan Hill.

'Can't We Try' was another hit for Hill in the late 80's that he did as a duet with Vonda Shepherd.

I managed to figure out how to play Hill's other 80's hit 'Carmelia' recently on acoustic guitar.

Edited by RushFanForever

"Go-for-a-Soda dickhead"?

First off "Sometimes When We Brunch" is pure schmaltz, and second, KM is a f***in' rock legend - show some god damn respect.

Dan Hill is a one hit wonder with apparently, no sense of humour

I would think that if you're chastising people to show some "god damn respect" that the original clip would upset you as well. Lifeson, an actual rock legend, is of course too classy to say something that stupid.

• Like 1

I would think that if you're chastising people to show some "god damn respect" that the original clip would upset you as well. Lifeson, an actual rock legend, is of course too classy to say something that stupid.

Kim Mitchell has a dry sense of humour.

Anytime a song is huge, there's going to be satire involved.

In the late 90's, SNL parodied 'My Heart Will Go On' by Celine Dion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVkgBXs5UDs

Dion apparently had a good attitude and sense of humour about the parody.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

In the late 90's, SNL parodied 'My Heart Will Go On' by Celine Dion

Yeah, I get what you're saying... but doing a parody of one of the biggest pop songs in history after it had ruled the airwaves and won an Oscar is not the same as taking a shot at someone's song right in the moment that is supposed to belong to them - and also as their career is just starting. It pulls focus, and I think it's a dick move on Mitchell's part, given that this is Hill likely being nominated for the first time, which is a big deal.

Honestly, I think if it was Dan Hill presenting and he was like "Best album nominees...Rush - A Farewell To Songwriting..." we'd be calling Dan Hill an idiot. But I imagine Dan Hill would have more class than to take a shot like that at fellow musicians just trying to make their way - especially in a televised moment that is about them being nominated for an award.

I find Sometimes When We Touch a totally cloying, schmaltzy piece of songwriting... but it is an enduring, arguably timeless hit, loved the world over. Kim Mitchell will never know what it is to write a song like that, and so in retrospect watching the guy who wrote I Am A Wild Party, Ra Ra Olé be a smart ass about someone else's songwriting really sticks out as a shithead thing to do.

Yeah, I get what you're saying... but doing a parody of one of the biggest pop songs in history after it had ruled the airwaves and won an Oscar is not the same as taking a shot at someone's song right in the moment that is supposed to belong to them - and also as their career is just starting. It pulls focus, and I think it's a dick move on Mitchell's part, given that this is Hill likely being nominated for the first time, which is a big deal.

Honestly, I think if it was Dan Hill presenting and he was like "Best album nominees...Rush - A Farewell To Songwriting..." we'd be calling Dan Hill an idiot. But I imagine Dan Hill would have more class than to take a shot like that at fellow musicians just trying to make their way - especially in a televised moment that is about them being nominated for an award.

I find Sometimes When We Touch a totally cloying, schmaltzy piece of songwriting... but it is an enduring, arguably timeless hit, loved the world over. Kim Mitchell will never know what it is to write a song like that, and so in retrospect watching the guy who wrote I Am A Wild Party, Ra Ra Olé be a smart ass about someone else's songwriting really sticks out as a shithead thing to do.

Kim Mitchell has a good idea of what it's like to write a sentimental song but maybe he does hold the shmaltz a bit. All We Are and Patio Lanterns fits the bill quite nicely, but sorry Dan Hill's son - I have no issue with your Dad, I just think if he was really bent out of shape about this (as much as you are apparently) he shouldn't take himself so seriously. If you prefer his music to KM/MW, that's fine, it's just personal tastes - no arguing that, no right or wrong. If you're arguing chart position of a single as some sort of trump card, well since I don't get any points off of record sales - I don't use that as any sort of metric to judge music quality.

Peace

Kim Mitchell has a good idea of what it's like to write a sentimental song but maybe he does hold the shmaltz a bit. All We Are and Patio Lanterns fits the bill quite nicely, but sorry Dan Hill's son - I have no issue with your Dad, I just think if he was really bent out of shape about this (as much as you are apparently) he shouldn't take himself so seriously. If you prefer his music to KM/MW, that's fine, it's just personal tastes - no arguing that, no right or wrong. If you're arguing chart position of a single as some sort of trump card, well since I don't get any points off of record sales - I don't use that as any sort of metric to judge music quality.

Peace

I'm not sure which is sillier... underlining your argument by accusing me of an absurd, Kim-Mitchell-level-of-humour type conflict of interest...or sighting goddamn Patio Lanterns in a discussion about good songwriting.

Peace right back