Should A Farewell To Kings + Hemispheres be 1 album?

_hi_water._

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres be 1 album?

• Yes, it should be a double album.
    • No, they should be separate albums.

Voted No.

To me there is a group of albums, namely Caress Of Steel, 2112, AFTK, Hemispheres and Permanent Waves that are so experimental and at times long-winded (in a good way) that one could ask if they should all be one long album, or a multi-fold out, Yes style. Yet they are very different. Knowing how the band would finish a project, tour, start a new one, repeat - there should always be a distinction between those early albums. Just my opinion :)

Plus the whole development of the keyboards really becoming a full-on part of their sound, each album needs to be looked at differently to maybe realize how it came to be that the instrument would become divisive among the guys. Neil's kit grew by leaps and bounds during these albums and it seems to me each album demonstrates the growth of the band.

• Like 1

Much as AFTK and Hems are cut from the same creative cloth, they're almost diametrically opposed in terms of sound and production. The acoustics on AFTK, CTTH, Cinderella Man, and Madrigal all sound very earthy and direct. The acoustics in The Trees and The Sphere on the other hand sound very polished and gleaming to me. Similarly, the electric rhythm guitars on Hems are much more streamlined and focused to attack in a very particular register, whereas the electrics on AFTK are much crunchier and more overwhelming at times. Not to mention I think Geddy has I think a more balanced blend of his lower and upper registers throughout AFTK whereas Hems is much more focused on his upper range with a couple key excursions into his lower register. Also, the bass and drums sound subtly different between the two records, especially the twanginess of the bass on Hems vs. a more Chris Squire ish Rickenbacker sound on AFTK.

I think they work much better as separate albums.

• Like 4

Cygnus Books aside, I struggle to find a thread linking them other than chronology. If songs I adore, such as Circumstances and La Villa, were followed or preceded with Madrigal or Cinderella Man, it would result in a record that delights and disappoints. Edited by IbanezJem

Cygnus Books aside, I struggle to find a thread linking them other than chronology. If songs I adore, such as Circumstances and La Villa, were followed or preceded with Madrigal or Cinderella Man, it would result in a record that delights and disappoints.

:goodone: