Favorite Rush Song you heard live

TheGhostRider

What was your favorite song you saw live at any one of their shows? Mine was probably Jacob's Ladder. 35 years passed before it was finally played live again and they killed it. It's my Dad's favorite Rush song and he was so happy they played it.
  • Like 4

Cygnus X-1. Xanadu a close second since my dad was there and that’s his favorite, and then of course 2112 after that.

Any easy choice this one for me.

I never got to see them play Jacob's Ladder live as I missed the two tours they played it on otherwise it would have given my choice a run for its money.

But Xanadu was, and still is my favourite Rush song so gets my pick.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 2

Many, many for me, but honestly hearing Far Cry live on the R40 the way Alex would raise the bars in his solo, slowly, a bit more, a little more again, and always keeping a precise ear on the notes - awesome!
  • Like 3

The Analog Kid, way back on the RTB tour in 1991/2.

I STILL remember how good it sounded, that halftime feel in the chorus, the keyboards, Ged's voice in peak form.

It really was a hot and windy August evening that night too. I hadn't known they would play it. They only added it to a few shows at the end of the tour.

A close second would be Dreamline on that same tour.

• Like 2

What was your favorite song you saw live at any one of their shows? Mine was probably Jacob's Ladder. 35 years passed before it was finally played live again and they killed it. It's my Dad's favorite Rush song and he was so happy they played it.

I remember reading Geddy saying that he didn't really want to resurrect it, but Alex insisted.

Red Barchetta at Madison Square Garden. Every time they played it.

Because 20,000 people singing Red Barchetta just can't be wrong.

Second place for me, TCE and Jacobs Ladder. They waited long enough to bring them back, and they were spectacular.

• Like 1

Xanadu, natch, but Vital Signs was always a favorite that hadn't appeared on any of the live albums -- in fact, it is an example of one of the reasons I like bootleg shows.

I think there's a live Vital Signs on side B of one of the singles from the MP / SIG era.

Xanadu, natch, but Vital Signs was always a favorite that hadn't appeared on any of the live albums -- in fact, it is an example of one of the reasons I like bootleg shows.

I think there's a live Vital Signs on side B of one of the singles from the MP / SIG era.

I think you're right, but I was never really aware of the singles -- too young to really buy 45s, and by the time the "cassingles" came out in the late '80s, they were something different. I can't remember ever seeing a MP/SIG single in the record shops I haunted in the mid-80s.

Yes, an Exit...Stage Left outtake is the B side of New World Man.

Vital Signs is also a bonus track on Rush In Rio.

• Like 2

Bytor & The Snowdog on the Vapor Trails tour. I hadn't read anything about the tour, had no idea what they were playing...and when they pulled that out, I was honestly shocked. I never, ever, ever thought that was a tune they would resurrect. It's not even a particular fave of mine....but it was one of those moments where I really realized this is the same band that is on All The World's A Stage, you know? They've done so much reinventing of themselves, and left lots of things behind...but that was really a moment of connecting to the past for me, in a way that hearing them crank out In The Mood or Working Man didn't really for me.

A close runner up would be Natural Science on the Test For Echo tour. A total fave that they killed on that first tour they brought it back.

• Like 3

Nice to see Jacob's Ladder getting love here.

It's really challenging to play on guitar, even if the song has lost some of its luster over the last couple decades. I classify it, in my head, as "more fun to play than listen to".

Anyways, if Neil could be resurrected and Rush could magically reform, I would be on pins and needles hoping for The Weapon. I'd forgotten about that song (and most of Signals) until last year. That drum pattern is absolutely sick, the solo (when it kicks in) has got real feeling, and the lyrics really speak to me as a 45-yr-old man.

Goddamnit why do humans have to die...

• Like 1

"Between the Wheels" on the Snakes and Arrows tour. I was elated when they started playing that one! Also, it was cool seeing them perform "The Camera Eye" on the Time Machine Tour, considering it was rarely (perhaps never?) performed live before then.
  • Like 3

"Between the Wheels" on the Snakes and Arrows tour. I was elated when they started playing that one! Also, it was cool seeing them perform "The Camera Eye" on the Time Machine Tour, considering it was rarely (perhaps never?) performed live before then.

It had been played live before, but it had been a very long time...decades.

• Like 2