Left turns early 80s: McCartney II vs. Queen Hot Space

Choose one  

13 members have voted

1. 1. album

• Paul McCartney - McCartney II
    • Queen - Hot Space

I'll say McCartney II is a thoroughly interesting album and it has many moments of brilliance. If it weren't for the fact that I'm such a die hard Queen fan I'd probably vote McCartney here.
  • Like 2

I'll say McCartney II is a thoroughly interesting album and it has many moments of brilliance. If it weren't for the fact that I'm such a die hard Queen fan I'd probably vote McCartney here.

I think because I'm NOT a die hard fan, I don't really get the dislike for this album. It's era-appropriate, and it's not like Queen was AC/DC in terms of having a characteristic sound. I like it.

• Like 1

I like Hot Space, but I gotta go with McCartney II.

Hot Space has five major songwriters contributing, McCartney II is one guy.

That's a good point!

I think because I'm NOT a die hard fan, I don't really get the dislike for this album. It's era-appropriate, and it's not like Queen was AC/DC in terms of having a characteristic sound. I like it.

I think part of what makes a lot of die hard fans cross is that for years Queen albums proudly boasted "no synthesizers" somewhere on the sleeve. That changed with The Game, but the synth use on The Game was so light and often primitive that it didn't really made a huge impact (aside from the cool spacey sound effects in Another One Bites The Dust and Play the Game). Also The Game is more or less an objectively better album than Hot Space and had two absolutely massive hit singles, so die hards couldn't really complain about the new synth use yet. However, when Hot Space came out and didn't do nearly as well on the charts or critically (aside from Under Pressure which was released prior and really has very little to do with the rest of the album), and especially when the first four tracks were all heavily synth focused, die hard fans found their voices and started complaining about it. That's my theory anyway. There's also just the fact that a number of the songs aren't up to Queen's usual quality level.