Signals Custom 5.1 Mix

TheGhostRider

Here's a Custom version of the 5.1 Version of Signals on YouTube. This is the way Signals was meant to be enjoyed in my opinion.

This guy has also done mixes of other Rush albums, and they're very good. Please give his channel some love and attention.

• Like 4

I think that Signals should've initially had the same balanced clear sonic sound quality as Avalon by Roxy Music.

I wonder how 'Subdivisions' would've initially turned out if the guitar and keyboards were on equal par like 'More Than This'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF_cmdxCCg4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwXtPu-iA4Q

I only listened to 'Losing It' and I can hear better sonic quality in Ben Mink's violin playing in particular that I couldn't hear on the original mix.

Edited by RushFanForever

Analog Kid is all I’ve listened to so far. I appreciate the attempt but it sounds very mid/high. Drums sound awful. Sounds like they’re missing some reverb

I’ll check out the other tracks.

Edited by chemistry1973

I like what I heard, mostly. Kind of feel like the songs are suffering from the HYF effect - almost no bottom end. Also - the way the NASA recordings were handled - I am not a fan. I think they're an important part of the song... reduce their prominence - fine I get it. But almost eliminate? Nope. That one needs a re-do.

Love the clarity though. The separation of sounds. Little nuances that you can't hear in any other mix... like the guitar amp sound in Analog. You can sort of hear the room. Geddy's vocal performance too. Wow.

Listened to Subs, Analog, Countdown and part of Chemistry,

• Like 1

Subdivisions- Prefer original

Analog Kid- About a tie. I like aspects of both better.

Chemistry- New version a bit better

Digital Man- New version a lot better-- I really liked this one a lot.

The Weapon- Prefer original, but some things were a bit better

New World Man- New version better

Countdown- New version better-- CAVEAT (I am very much opposed to losing NASA.)

Losing It- Blocked in Canada (why only this one?)

I'll add that every new version loses something I like for something new. Even on the tracks I like more I'd still listen to the old ones as well.

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 1

At the outset of "Subdivisions" I appreciated a stronger guitar mix that didn't in my opinion take away from the keys. Geddy's vocal is so clear. On the one hand I like it, on the other, it has a slightly creepy quality that makes me afraid to like it, as if I'm being duped.

I'll return to this just to have an excuse to listen to more of what moved me (it moved me) back in '82. But to be fair, short of having it played on a hifi of the quality I listened to it on back then, there's no way I can really compare the versions.

• Like 1