• Finding My Way
    • Need Some Love
    • Take A Friend
    • Here Again
    • What You're Doing
    • In The Mood
    • Before And After
    • Working Man

Ged's lyricist skills hadn't really settled in all too well until he was enlightened by Neil (when he wrote Cinderella Man and Different Strings, plus Chemistry), but they aren't the worst.

Was thinking about including Best I Can since that was written around the same time. I know they performed it live with Rutsey.

Honestly, I think these are all degrees of not great. I'll pick "Working Man" because it's a stone-cold jam, but I still can't get over the "take myself out a nice cold beer."

"In the Mood" is middle-schoolish, and I remember reading the lyrics of "Finding My Way" with some disbelief.

"Here Again" for introspective honorable mention.

• Like 1

Lyrics are why this is by far their worst album in my opinion.

The lyrics frankly are there just to 'finish' the songs.

They'd all be better as instrumentals.

Edited by Mosher

I honestly think lyrics weren't important to them at all. They could play, and they could play very well. They wrote simple lyrics with simple sentiments that would allow people to just relax and enjoy.

Geddy obviously can write, when he wrote on later albums and for his own album he did fine.

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 1

"Ooh, yeah"?

"Ooh, yeah, yeah"?

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah"?

From three different songs! Ok, ooh yeah baby was popular with early rock, across lots of groups.

I would say either Here Again or What You're Doing. What You're Doing sounds simple and reads primary, but it seems he definitely had something to say. Perhaps the early rock scene in Toronto, bullies and wannabees?

Working Man had great lines, was obviously their power tune at the time, but it gets so much attention so I looked at other songs. Finding My Way is one of my favs, though. I love the whole first album.

• Like 2