The 2021 MLB Season Thread! Tatis Jr. Is A Stud! A's Padres World Series! Place Your Betts! LOL!

RUSHHEAD666

Brewers relief pitcher Devin Williams, after the joyous celebration of winning the NL Central, got mad about something and punched a wall.

He broke his pitching hand. :facepalm:

• Like 1

Baseball has got to do something to stop the damage analytics have caused. I'm so sick of watching shifts, and batters not moving runners over because they're just swinging from their asses.

Aren't you just glad Heaney's optioned? He sucked for my team and he still sucked for yours. Angels even gave him a no decision recently. Good riddance.

OA1vYNW.jpg

Baseball has got to do something to stop the damage analytics have caused. I'm so sick of watching shifts, and batters not moving runners over because they're just swinging from their asses.

I have a feeling I'm in the distinct minority here but I enjoy and appreciate the strategic elements that analytics have brought to the game, while recognizing from an action standpoint there have been some deleterious effects.

It's certainly better than just having the team with the most monetary resources (or one of the top 3) win every year. And I'm a fan of a team whose resources are in the upper third of teams.

I have a feeling I'm in the distinct minority here but I enjoy and appreciate the strategic elements that analytics have brought to the game, while recognizing from an action standpoint there have been some deleterious effects.

Major League Baseball players are supposed to be the best in the world.

If the defense shifts against them, then they should hit the other way. Once they keep doing that, the shifts will quickly disappear.

• Like 1

If the defense shifts against them, then they should hit the other way. Once they keep doing that, the shifts will quickly disappear.

I used to think that way too. But the analytics have destroyed that as well, because players are told it's better to hit home run or strike out than actually just get a base hit. There is no craft of pitching anymore because players are told just throw it 99. It costs Tampa the World Series last year because some dumb f**k upstairs told the manager to pull the pitcher who was dealing a one hitter at the time.

Last night the Yanks had 1st and 2nd and no one out down 2 runs in the 8th inning. Gio Urshela at the plate. He didn't even make an attempt to bunt, just swung out of his ass and struck out. The next battle was Luke Voit who is a power hitter, But was pinch hitting and not warmed up. He struck out as well but the yankees got bailed out because the 3rd strike was a wild pitch and the 2 runners moved up and were able to score on a single. And Voit reinjured his leg running to 1st.

The game is nothing more than a computer simulation now. The Red Sox didn't even sell out their series with the Yankees the past weekend. Toronto was half empty last night. Geddy couldn't even be bothered to go.

I used to think that way too. But the analytics have destroyed that as well, because players are told it's better to hit home run or strike out than actually just get a base hit. There is no craft of pitching anymore because players are told just throw it 99. It costs Tampa the World Series last year because some dumb f**k upstairs told the manager to pull the pitcher who was dealing a one hitter at the time.

Last night the Yanks had 1st and 2nd and no one out down 2 runs in the 8th inning. Gio Urshela at the plate. He didn't even make an attempt to bunt, just swung out of his ass and struck out. The next battle was Luke Voit who is a power hitter, But was pinch hitting and not warmed up. He struck out as well but the yankees got bailed out because the 3rd strike was a wild pitch and the 2 runners moved up and were able to score on a single. And Voit reinjured his leg running to 1st.

The game is nothing more than a computer simulation now. The Red Sox didn't even sell out their series with the Yankees the past weekend. Toronto was half empty last night. Geddy couldn't even be bothered to go.

Yeah I haven't seen him in his seat since the Jays went back home from Buffalo. Granted there haven't been a lot Jays gaes broadcast here but when they were on MLBN I'd check to see if he was there.

Would love to have a chat with him about the state of the game at present.

What a nice night. Yanks up 2 on Boston and Seattle for the first wild card spot and 3 over Toronto. Now they go to Tampa who has nothing to play for except setting up their pitching rotation. As long as they take one game Boston and Seattle would need to sweep their final series to force a tie. Toronto's best hope is for the second slot.

There is no craft of pitching anymore because players are told just throw it 99.

:eh:

IMO the pitch selection, placement, and movement seems as complex as ever. Straight heat won't get you too far.

There is no craft of pitching anymore because players are told just throw it 99.

:eh:

IMO the pitch selection, placement, and movement seems as complex as ever. Straight heat won't get you too far.

The Brewers' Brandon Woodruff is no longer the Ace of the pitching staff. His fast ball (upper 90's) and his other pitches have become hittable. Not as much movement as he would like.

Corbin Burnes is now the Ace. The movement he gets on his pitches is amazing. His cutter is lethal.

Damn you guys. I really blew that 2021 Baseball Header right? I was kidding though.

A's and Padres World Series.

Both teams shit the bed.

If the San Francisco Giants win another RING, I'm going to swan dive off the Golden Gate Bridge.

JK

The Chicago Cubs starting battery tonight was Cory Abbott and Erick Castillo. It was not immediately clear who the starting first baseman was.
  • Like 2

And here's your answer:

https://www.mlb.com/...akers-explained

FOUR-WAY TIE FOR TWO WILD CARD SPOTS

Example: Yankees go 0-1; Red Sox go 0-1, Mariners go 1-0, Blue Jays go 1-0

What happens next: The above scenario is the only possible four-way tie, and it means all four teams finish with 91 wins (which is the win ceiling for Toronto and Seattle). Each team would choose or receive an A, B, C or D designation. The club with the highest winning percentage in games among the tied clubs chooses first, second-highest chooses second, etc. In this scenario, the Red Sox (24-21 against the others) get first choice, the Blue Jays (22-22) choose second, the Yankees (22-23) choose third and the Mariners (9-11) get the leftover spot.

On Monday, Club A (likely the Red Sox) would host Club B, and Club C (likely the Blue Jays) would host Club D. So for the Yankees, it would come down to a choice of traveling to either Boston or Toronto.

The winners of those two games on Monday would face each other Tuesday in the AL Wild Card Game.

What happens if the Red Sox and Yankees lose, and the Mariners and Jays win today?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/american-league-wild-card-tiebreakers-explained.html

What happens next: The above scenario is the only possible four-way tie, and it means all four teams finish with 91 wins (which is the win ceiling for Toronto and Seattle). Each team would choose or receive an A, B, C or D designation. The club with the highest winning percentage in games among the tied clubs chooses first, second-highest chooses second, etc. In this scenario, the Red Sox (24-21 against the others) get first choice, the Blue Jays (22-22) choose second, the Yankees (22-23) choose third and the Mariners (9-11) get the leftover spot.

On Monday, Club A (likely the Red Sox) would host Club B, and Club C (likely the Blue Jays) would host Club D. So for the Yankees, it would come down to a choice of traveling to either Boston or Toronto.

The winners of those two games on Monday would face each other Tuesday in the AL Wild Card Game.

What happens if the Red Sox and Yankees lose, and the Mariners and Jays win today?

https://www.google.c...-explained.html

Copycat.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/team-entropy-2021-six-ways-to-sunday/

All the possible scenarios including 3 way ties for the 2 spots and a2 way tie for the second spot.

In three of the first four days of this week, six of the most odious teams play (one game in the NFL, two in MLB). The good news is that in MLB, two of the teams won't be heard from again till 2022. The bad news is that two of them will darken the next round.

https://www.google.c...-explained.html

Copycat.

:lol: