Rush Limbaugh Dead at 70.

grep

In all honesty, I only know of Rush Limbaugh from that episode of Family Guy where it turns out that both Rush Limbaugh and Michael Moore are actually Fred Savage in disguise

Wouldn't be the first time he was someone else. It's no Big but it's way better than that Kirk Cameron/Dudley Moore POS.

0B0Wb7g.jpg

Edited by invisible airwave

Actual quotes from this POS to remind folks of who he actually was:

• He began airing “Barack, the Magic Negro,” a racist parody song about then-Sen. Barack Obama’s popularity with many white voters, in 2007
  • When a gay person turns his back on you, it is anything but an insult; it's an invitation
  • Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women access to the mainstream of society
  • Women should not be allowed on juries where the accused is a stud
  • (in 2004) I think it's time to get rid of this whole National Basketball Association. Call it the TBA, the Thug Basketball Association, and stop calling them teams. Call 'em gangs.
  • (As a young broadcaster in the 1970s) Limbaugh once told a Black caller: “Take that bone out of your nose and call me back
  • Limbaugh called Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke a “slut” and a “prostitute” after she publicly advocated for universal contraception coverage,
  • If any race of people should not have guilt about slavery, it's Caucasians. The white race has probably had fewer slaves and for a briefer period of time than any other in the history of the world

• Like 1

It’s somewhat ironic. A lot of people hated him for saying what they thought were unkind or insensitive things. So after his death they take to social media and say what could be perceived as unkind or insensitive things.

As I have heard some say "you have a right to free speech but that speech has consequences". He practiced the cancel culture that so many are whining about now. What goes around comes around.

• Like 3

It’s somewhat ironic. A lot of people hated him for saying what they thought were unkind or insensitive things. So after his death they take to social media and say what could be perceived as unkind or insensitive things.

As I have heard some say "you have a right to free speech but that speech has consequences". He practiced the cancel culture that so many are whining about now. What goes around comes around.

It’s not a question of free speech. It’s about engaging in the very behavior for which he’s reviled. Seems kind of odd to me.

• Like 4

It’s not a question of free speech. It’s about engaging in the very behavior for which he’s reviled. Seems kind of odd to me.

Me too.

To tell you the truth, after reading this thread, I wonder why I'm even here. I really don't belong here because I don't fit in.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 4

Even in death people seem a need to tap their negative personal feelings or the political cesspool with their comments ........yeah he was polarizing..... but when death comes close to you I'm sure you would not appreciate it.

I've seen death. Real close. More than once.

Which is why I don't have anything nice to say about a man who's celebrated the death of others.

• Like 2

The difference is, he said the things he did based on his opinion which showed him to be a terrible person. For those who then say similar things about him, are doing so because he proved himself to be a terrible person.

It's kind of similar to how some here say it's okay to berate and denigrate other posters if they post something they don't agree with they think is ignorant.

• Like 3

So he gets to say whatever vile things he wants but others are supposed to remain silent? Limbaugh sent this country down a path that has spawned incivility and hate, culminating in a riot where the participants wanted to kill those who did not agree with their worldview. Yet we are to turn the other cheek and say nothing at his passing. Sadly many have tried to not respond to the hateful rhetoric over the years and got attacked anyway.

I have to disagree, it is about free speech. Over the years Limbaugh said so many horrible things, yet those very statements were defended by his 1st Amendment right to say them. Given who he was it was predictable that some would lash out after his death. His critics are exercising their right to say what they feel under that same 1st Amendment protection. Limbaugh was unwilling to live and let live so now the chickens come home to roost. It is who the man was that makes it hard to show compassion for him. As I said before he is no longer in pain, that is the best thing I can say about him and feel relief that he is gone.

• Like 2

The difference is, he said the things he did based on his opinion which showed him to be a terrible person. For those who then say similar things about him, are doing so because he proved himself to be a terrible person.

It's kind of similar to how some here say it's okay to berate and denigrate other posters if they post something they don't agree with they think is ignorant.

You might be confusing “fact” and “opinion” here.

• Like 2

1613907650[/url'>' post='4891355']
1613876697' post='4891283']
1613873676[/url'>' post='4891265']
1613866437' post='4891208']

So he gets to say whatever vile things he wants but others are supposed to remain silent? Limbaugh sent this country down a path that has spawned incivility and hate, culminating in a riot where the participants wanted to kill those who did not agree with their worldview. Yet we are to turn the other cheek and say nothing at his passing. Sadly many have tried to not respond to the hateful rhetoric over the years and got attacked anyway.

I have to disagree, it is about free speech. Over the years Limbaugh said so many horrible things, yet those very statements were defended by his 1st Amendment right to say them. Given who he was it was predictable that some would lash out after his death. His critics are exercising their right to say what they feel under that same 1st Amendment protection. Limbaugh was unwilling to live and let live so now the chickens come home to roost. It is who the man was that makes it hard to show compassion for him. As I said before he is no longer in pain, that is the best thing I can say about him and feel relief that he is gone.

I’m sorry, but it’s not a free speech issue. “Free speech” refers to whether you can or cannot say something. Limbaugh had the right to say what some believe are “horrible” things on his show. People are free now to say what some may say are “horrible” things about him. No one seriously questions whether either side CAN (or could in Limbaugh’s case) say those “horrible” things. Like I said, IMO, it’s a little odd to claim you (the corporate you, not you personally) don’t like someone because of what he or she says, and respond to their death by acting basically the way you complained they did. No one is asking anyone to show compassion for him. No one has to say anything about him at all. But saying “I’m glad that scumbag is dead and hope he rots in Hell because he said Michael J. Fox is exaggerating his Parkinson’s symptoms,” strikes me as hypocrisy.

• Like 3

1613881738[/url'>' post='4891310']
1613876697' post='4891283']
1613873676[/url'>' post='4891265']
1613866437' post='4891208']

Me too.

To tell you the truth, after reading this thread, I wonder why I'm even here. I really don't belong here because I don't fit in.

I enjoy your posts Lorraine. I’m glad you’re here.

• Like 4

Not in the least, when he said Cobain was "a worthless shred of human debris", or "Jerry Garcia is just another dead doper", or "feminism was established to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream", or when talking to a black caller, "take that bone out of your nose and call me back" and many, many other things, he was both expressing an opinion and making it very easy to determine what kind of a person he is.

For those defending him, that puts them in the same category.

• Like 1

I’m sorry, but it’s not a free speech issue. “Free speech” refers to whether you can or cannot say something. Limbaugh had the right to say what some believe are “horrible” things on his show. People are free now to say what some may say are “horrible” things about him. No one seriously questions whether either side CAN (or could in Limbaugh’s case) say those “horrible” things. Like I said, IMO, it’s a little odd to claim you (the corporate you, not you personally) don’t like someone because of what he or she says, and respond to their death by acting basically the way you complained they did. No one is asking anyone to show compassion for him. No one has to say anything about him at all. But saying “I’m glad that scumbag is dead and hope he rots in Hell because he said Michael J. Fox is exaggerating his Parkinson’s symptoms,” strikes me as hypocrisy.

It's okay to be wrong, but I doubt you can understand why.

Not in the least, when he said Cobain was "a worthless shred of human debris", or "Jerry Garcia is just another dead doper", or "feminism was established to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream", or when talking to a black caller, "take that bone out of your nose and call me back" and many, many other things, he was both expressing an opinion and making it very easy to determine what kind of a person he is.

Are you certain that's the metric you want to apply to a person's character?

Because some might say using a Nazi figure as an avatar on a message board or using the phrase, "touchy Jews, touchy blacks, and touchy gays," shows you what type of person someone is.

http://www.therushfo...20#entry4161256

And some could also say that people who suggest they do such things "just to see how people react," and then criticize the words of others said for the pretty clear purpose of getting a reaction are just being "touchy." Or hypocrites.

• Like 2

It's okay to be wrong, but I doubt you can understand why.

Perhaps, but I'm pretty sure I understand you fairly well. You're not quite as good at hiding things as you perceive yourself to be.

• Like 1

Because some might say using a Nazi figure as an avatar on a message board or using the phrase, "touchy Jews, touchy blacks, and touchy gays," shows you what type of person someone is.

And some could also say that people who suggest they do such things "just to see how people react," and then criticize the words of others said for the pretty clear purpose of getting a reaction are just being "touchy." Or hypocrites.

I've explained all of that, but it seems some folks can't grasp the explanations. Or, and this is more likely, you don't believe me, which is your issue, not mine.

But, you're trying to deflect from the subject at hand, which is that Rush Limbaugh was a terrible person, and there are many examples of that. If you or anyone else refuses to believe it, or worse, still supports him, that's a bad reflection on them.

I've explained all of that, but it seems some folks can't grasp the explanations. Or, and this is more likely, you don't believe me, which is your issue, not mine.

But, you're trying to deflect from the subject at hand, which is that Rush Limbaugh was a terrible person, and there are many examples of that. If you or anyone else refuses to believe it, or worse, still supports him, that's a bad reflection on them.

Actually, and this is an old story, you've missed the point. We're discussing the irony of saying unkind things about someone after they die because you thought they said unkind things in life. It's especially ironic when there's a history of doing things at least as bad as the person you're calling "terrible."

Remind me of that joke with the guy from The Office?

• Like 2

Actually, and this is an old story, you've missed the point. We're discussing the irony of saying unkind things about someone after they die because you thought they said unkind things in life. It's especially ironic when there's a history of doing things at least as bad as the person you're calling "terrible."

Remind me of that joke with the guy from The Office?

That's a matter of opinion or are you going to assert something you don't seem to understand/accept as a fact?

Also, the explanation of why saying unkind things about Limbaugh is quite different than him saying unkind things, but you don't seem to grasp that either. Or, you don't like people pointing out how terrible of a person he was because you liked what he had to say.

Me too.

Neither do I but I come back due to nice people like you being here.

• Like 3

I think in general it's bad form to speak I'll of the dead, but I understand people doing so in the wake of Limbaugh's passing. I don't think he'd be surprised by it, either, as it's well-earned.
  • Like 2

I think in general it's bad form to speak ill of the dead, but I understand people doing so in the wake of Limbaugh's passing. I don't think he'd be surprised by it, either, as it's well-earned.

He would love the attention and publicity. He may have passed hoping that people would talk about him forever.