3. Only Fools and Horses

4. Only When I Laugh

5. Fawlty Towers

6. Dad's Army

7. Red Dwarf

8. Steptoe and Son

9. Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads

10. Open All Hours

How strict are we being on sit-coms? Literally situation comedies, or can I have other British comedy stuff that was in 30 min episodes but more sketch-based?

This my top 10 list:

1. Rising Damp

2. Porridge

3. Only Fools and Horses

4. Only When I Laugh

5. Fawlty Towers

6. Dad's Army

7. Red Dwarf

8. Steptoe and Son

9. Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads

10. Open All Hours

How strict are we being on sit-coms? Literally situation comedies, or can I have other British comedy stuff that was in 30 min episodes but more sketch-based?

It's got to be a proper situation comedy with the same characters, not a sketch based thing with different characters etc.

Fawlty Towers

Blackadder III

I`m Alan Partridge

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin

Drop The Dead Donkey

One Foot In The Grave

The Office

Bottom

Yes, Minister

Porridge

Blackadder could possibly make my top 10 over one of the other choices.

Fawlty Towers

Blackadder III

I`m Alan Partridge

Drop The Dead Donkey

One Foot In The Grave

The Office

Bottom

Yes, Minister

Porridge

Playing by the rules, I thought I should pick one of the eras - a lot of people like IV most, but I prefer III. Hmmm, I`m the same with Zeppelin.

Fawlty Towers

Blackadder III

I`m Alan Partridge

Drop The Dead Donkey

One Foot In The Grave

The Office

Bottom

Yes, Minister

Porridge

Playing by the rules, I thought I should pick one of the eras - a lot of people like IV most, but I prefer III. Hmmm, I`m the same with Zeppelin.

I think I like the WWI version best, is that IV?

Fawlty Towers

Red Dwarf

The League Of Gentlemen

Steptoe & Son

Dads Army

Porridge

Blackadder

The IT Crowd

Only Fools & Horses

Rising Damp

I had this conversation with Treeduck a while back - I have gone with Rising Damp over Reginald Perrin as it is probably on reflection a better show.

• Like 1

Fawlty Towers

Blackadder III

I`m Alan Partridge

Drop The Dead Donkey

One Foot In The Grave

The Office

Bottom

Yes, Minister

Porridge

Yes, that`s the one my mates always preferred too. I prefer Blackadder as butler to the Prince Regent/George IV.

Fawlty Towers

Red Dwarf

The League Of Gentlemen

Steptoe & Son

Dads Army

Porridge

Blackadder

The IT Crowd

Only Fools & Horses

Rising Damp

I had this conversation with Treeduck a while back - I have gone with Rising Damp over Reginald Perrin as it is probably on reflection a better show.

I don`t really watch sitcoms these days. Peter Cook is my ultimate, all-time hero and Monty Python my favourite comedy troupe, so I went with some that I liked from teenage years - or younger! Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

Fawlty Towers

Blackadder III

I`m Alan Partridge

Drop The Dead Donkey

One Foot In The Grave

The Office

Bottom

Yes, Minister

Porridge

Yes, that`s the one my mates always preferred too. I prefer Blackadder as butler to the Prince Regent/George IV.

I just thought the WWI one was a bit funnier.

Do you not like Rising Damp and Only When I Laugh?

Fawlty Towers

Blackadder III

I`m Alan Partridge

Drop The Dead Donkey

One Foot In The Grave

The Office

Bottom

Yes, Minister

Porridge

I just thought the WWI one was a bit funnier.

Do you not like Rising Damp and Only When I Laugh?

I reckon Stephen Fry as The Duke of Wellington hitting Hugh Laurie over the head is extremely funny. Not particularly high-brow though.

I haven`t seen Rising Damp enough to say I prefer it to Reggie Perrin. I did see OWIL as a kid but not since. I struggled to get to 10!

• Like 1

Fawlty Towers

Red Dwarf

The League Of Gentlemen

Steptoe & Son

Dads Army

Porridge

Blackadder

The IT Crowd

Only Fools & Horses

Rising Damp

I don`t really watch sitcoms these days. Peter Cook is my ultimate, all-time hero and Monty Python my favourite comedy troupe, so I went with some that I liked from teenage years - or younger!

Yeah, my choices are all oldies. I don't bother much with any of the newer shows.
  • Like 2

Fawlty Towers

Red Dwarf

The League Of Gentlemen

Steptoe & Son

Dads Army

Porridge

Blackadder

The IT Crowd

Only Fools & Horses

Rising Damp

I don`t really watch sitcoms these days. Peter Cook is my ultimate, all-time hero and Monty Python my favourite comedy troupe, so I went with some that I liked from teenage years - or younger!

Yeah, my choices are all oldies. I don't bother much with any of the newer shows.

I hardly watch any new stuff now, whether it's films or TV shows, I just watch the old stuff.

• Like 2

The lack of love for Are You Being Served is a travesty!

I thought that was a bit weak. After Dad's Army those writers got progressively weaker, starting with Are you Being Served, then It Ain't Half Hot Mum, and Hi Di Hi, Allo Allo, You Rang M'Lord, each one worse than the last.

• Like 2

I thought that was a bit weak. After Dad's Army those writers got progressively weaker, starting with Are you Being Served, then It Ain't Half Hot Mum, and Hi Di Hi, Allo Allo, You Rang M'Lord, each one worse than the last.

A lot of these shows would never be broadcast now in our politically correct utopia!
  • Like 1

A lot of these shows would never be broadcast now in our politically correct utopia!

Yeah they didn't even like GUPTE the nurse in Only When I Laugh even back in 1982. He didn't appear in the final episodes at all. They didn't like that an Indian man was portrayed as bumbling and stupid.

• Like 2

Yeah they didn't even like GUPTE the nurse in Only When I Laugh even back in 1982. He didn't appear in the final episodes at all. They didn't like that an Indian man was portrayed as bumbling and stupid.

I think the BBC censors had a go at Fawlty Towers a few years ago with The Germans episode.
  • Like 2

I think the BBC censors had a go at Fawlty Towers a few years ago with The Germans episode.

Yeah I heard about that.

With Gupte it wouldn't have mattered to me if he was Welsh, Irish or French-Moroccan, he was just a funny character.

• Like 1

Yeah I heard about that.

With Gupte it wouldn't have mattered to me if he was Welsh, Irish or French-Moroccan, he was just a funny character.

Yeah but the PC brigade can't see that! They've all had humour bypass surgery!
  • Like 1