A Thought-Provoking Question

Lorraine

senior-horse-with-dental-problems.jpg

This is what happens if they live long enough. I believe that the old adage "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" is an allusion to checking its age, as a horse's teeth continue to grow, then decay as they age.

senior-horse-with-dental-problems.jpg

This is what happens if they live long enough. I believe that the old adage "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" is an allusion to checking its age, as a horse's teeth continue to grow, then decay as they age.

That's what happens to humans too if they don't take care of their teeth, but it still doesn't answer the question as to why their teeth are so perfectly aligned and straight.

• Like 1

Why do donkeys and horses have such perfect teeth?

Hershey_-_Web.jpg

horse-teeth-682x1024.jpg

:huh:

People spend thousands on braces and implants to get teeth as straight and even.

An equine's survival depends on good teeth, well that and being able to run like the wind. Ours on our big brains and opposing thumbs. Bad teeth don't necessarily remove us from the gene pool.

I HATED braces btw. Horrible. Barbaric. I would rather have crooked teeth.

The front teeth look decent because the molars in the back get the work, grinding oats and grasses into something digestible. And since they continually grow, they can cause problems. One of the veternarians from my ACO days was predominant as an equine vet, told me some interesting memories of horse dentistry.