ASIA - Alpha (1983) - Is this album the most underrated to have ever been recorded at Le Studio (Morin Heights), Quebec?

treeduck

ASIA - Alpha - THE POLL  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is Asia's 1983 sophomore LP the most underrated album ever to have been recorded at Le Studio (Morin Heights)

• Yes, I can quite unequivocally declare that it is THE most underrated slab of pop rock prog to ever be recorded at Le Studio
    • No
    • There's a chance
    • It's impossible to say without more information
    • All I know is I hate the album, and the band!
    • Well I love the album, so there's that
    • Never bothered with Asia
    • Frankly my dear I don't give a FOCK
    • I do think ALPHA is underrated but the debut ASIA album is definitely superior
    • Anything featuring the legendary guitar maestro STEVE HOWE is worth owning
    • Steve Howe was better in GTR
    • John Wetton was better in UK
    • Geoff Downes was better in YES
    • Carl Palmer is still hanging around Love Beach with Earl Ramer
    • I prefer 90125 to the ASIA (1982) and Alpha (1983) albums
    • Believe it or not Alpha is in my top 50 albums of all time
    • The Artwork is amazing
    • Steve Howe was better in the Syndicats
    • Geoff Downes was better in the Buggles
    • Carl Palmer was better in Quango
    • John Wetton was better in Uriah Heep
    • Earl Ramer is the 5th Beatle and the 10th Stone, KEEF is his middle name
    • This album is Paul Northfield's second most notorious fiasco after the mixing job on Vapor Trails
    • Anything with the drumming genius Carl Palmer is worth getting your hands on
    • Roger Dean wants his artwork back!

I listened to half of Alpha today and really enjoyed it. I’ll revisit the “b-side” tomorrow.

The b-side is pretty much forgettable filler. I'll revisit the debut album now.

Honestly Asia is only worth that first album for me.

Yikes what a down turn after.

Mick

I have a friend who STILL loves them. I just don't get it. I owned the first album on vinyl when it came out, as did pretty much everyone around my age I'd guess. Can't tell you the last time I felt the urge to listen to Asia though.

• Like 1

I listened to half of Alpha today and really enjoyed it. I’ll revisit the “b-side” tomorrow.

The b-side is pretty much forgettable filler. I'll revisit the debut album now.

Okay, the debut album is pretty much great. Alpha is a decent album with about 48% filler material.

Mick

I'm that one weirdo who just thinks the debut is *okay*

it's not my fav AOR album.......BUT it's the only worthwhile thing Asia did IMO.

Mick

• Like 1

I love this album, but then I love all of the studio and live albums that have at least 3 of the 4 original members in the band (1991 through 2005 was essentaily an Asia black hole for me. No interest in those years at all.)
  • Like 1

Mick

I have a friend who STILL loves them. I just don't get it. I owned the first album on vinyl when it came out, as did pretty much everyone around my age I'd guess. Can't tell you the last time I felt the urge to listen to Asia though.

Two decent tracks both on the first album and then a career of utter shite wimphen.

• Like 1

Mick

Two decent tracks both on the first album and then a career of utter shite wimphen.

I have to agree. In all honesty the debut isn't that great either. It barely scrapes average at best.

• Like 3

Mick

I have to agree. In all honesty the debut isn't that great either. It barely scrapes average at best.

The irony of the second album is that it's called Alpha, while being not very alpha at all. They should have called it Beta!

Mick

The irony of the second album is that it's called Alpha, while being not very alpha at all. They should have called it Beta!

Double Gamma

• Like 1

Mick

Double Gamma

Give me GAMMA GAMMA 2 and GAMMA 3!

I LOVE "ASTRA" more than "ALPHA."

Mick

Double Gamma

Earl I did about 8 EARL threads in this very sub-forum a couple of weeks ago, each with a poll, check them out!

• Like 1

Mick

Double Gamma

Earl I did about 8 EARL threads in this very sub-forum a couple of weeks ago, each with a poll, check them out!

Wow! Thanks buddy! I am totally flattered!! Ok!

• Like 1

Mick

Double Gamma

Aye!! The Earl themed threads came thick and fast for a while there! One is Journey vs Accept!

• Like 1

Mick

Double Gamma

Aye!! The Earl themed threads came thick and fast for a while there! One is Journey vs Accept!

Dang! "Too Fast For Love!" I've been traveling and having the time of my life with Lisa.

I do have some bad news. Zoe my oldest daughter has COVID! She fuckking lives with me! She has no symptoms and Lisa and her two girls tested NEGATIVE.

I got my test yesterday and I am still waiting for the results. So annoying.

Zoe is in her room for ten days. She's on day three. I feel great but I am also playing safe and waiting to get back my results.

Be careful whoever reads this post. COVID IS REAL AND IT IS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!

I have Clorox Spray by the gallon and am constantly spraying down my house. I'm wearing a fuckking mask of course inside my house.

SUCKS ASS! But it's life!

And is this album an under the radar heavy metal smorgasbord?

I bought this album in 1983 and I was a bit disappointed with it after the smash hit pop/prog debut. I really like the artwork though.

asia-alpha-2.jpg?w=1200

In a major ASIA obsession this week! The debut, "ALPHA" and "ASTRA" are all masterpieces!! When I was a kid I used to put the first album cassette on my Sony Walkman and play too it.

"Wildest Dreams" just played. The drum fill section is so fun to play. Muscle memory is real. It's still fresh in my brain.

ASIA RULES!

I love JOHN WETTON! RIP!!

• Like 2

I love the GTR album too! I know the lead singer is a pussy Pat.

His name is Francis Bacon, he's the bastard child of Porky Pig and Kevin Bacon!

Hahaha! I get the pun. I love the movie "Porky's."

Also the skit that Trey Parker and Matt Stone did called.... "Makin' Bacon With Macon." They fried up some bacon with a pig and then feed Macon the pig the bacon. Classic.

• Like 1

Hey at least I voted back in Feb!

That Bacon guy's career went into the toilet after GTR disbanded. He ended up going on a talent show around 2000 singing The Hunter and When the Heart Rules the Mind. It was like he was living in the past trying to milk those old songs like it was the only thing he had.