RIP Screech 44, dead from lung cancer

laughedatbytime

Thank you Laughed at by Time....i had to look it up......

Dustin Diamond, the actor known for his role on the 90s sitcom "Saved by the Bell," died Monday after being diagnosed with cancer.

"[Dustin] was diagnosed with this brutal, relentless form of malignant cancer only three weeks ago," his representative said in a statement. "In that time, it managed to spread rapidly throughout his system; the only mercy it exhibited was its sharp and swift execution. Dustin did not suffer. He did not have to lie submerged in pain. For that, we are grateful."

Advertisement

TMZ, who broke the story, reports Diamond's condition had deteriorated in the last week. The actor had been hospitalized last month after feeling ill.

Diamond was best known for his role as Samuel "Screech" Powers on "Saved by the Bell." He played the role of the kind-hearted and geeky best friend to the show’s main character, Zack Morris, played by Mark-Paul Gosselaar.

• Like 1

Ah man, at the time the original Saved By The Bell aired I was the exact age that show was aiming towards. I followed them all the way through the College Years too. The show just wouldn't have been the same without Screech. I believe he was the only one to be in every version of the show.

RIP

• Like 1

I thought he was in his early 50s. Turns out he's 4 years older than me. Had no idea he was dying.

He was only a year older than me. Except for Elizabeth Berkley, everyone else was around the same age as the characters they played on the show. I think the rest are only around 46 or 47 years old. They have been in the public eye for so long but are still young.

Wasn't it skin cancer though? Or basal cell carcinoma anyway.

I saw an article that it was a malignant melanoma, but I'm not sure where they got their information. Another place said it was small cell lung cancer?

RIP, Dustin. :rose: Like some other child stars, it seems like the breaks were against him in later life. I hope he found some consolation in the fact he created such a memorable beloved character.

• Like 3

I saw an article that it was a malignant melanoma, but I'm not sure where they got their information. Another place said it was small cell lung cancer?

RIP, Dustin. :rose: Like some other child stars, it seems like the breaks were against him in later life. I hope he found some consolation in the fact he created such a memorable beloved character.

Yeah it seems like a lot of those former child stars are cursed, like Gary Coleman, Corey Haim etc.

The child star who did the best of all is probably Kurt Russell. Most people have forgotten he was ever a child star at all.

• Like 3

Dustin Diamond, the actor known for his role on the 90s sitcom "Saved by the Bell," died Monday after being diagnosed with cancer.

It's good to see that someone knows the actual name of the person who died and is considerate enough to post it.

Yeah it seems like a lot of those former child stars are cursed, like Gary Coleman, Corey Haim etc.

The child star who did the best of all is probably Kurt Russell. Most people have forgotten he was ever a child star at all.

Ron Howard's turned out pretty well, too.

I never watched SbtB, but I know it must have been popular, so RIP, sir.

• Like 2

I didn't forget. He is a favorite of mine. :heart: :heart: :heart: Going back to The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes!

• Like 2

I didn't forget. He is a favorite of mine. :heart: :heart: :heart: Going back to The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes!

img_3172.jpg?w=840

He was in stuff going as far back as Guns of Diablo in 1965 with Charles Bronson in films and the Dick Powell Show and Dennis the Menace in 1962 on TV.

• Like 2

Dustin had a bit of a rough life it seemed after being a child star. I know he did standup for a while as he got older but it didn't seem like it took off for him. He had his demons. I wonder if any substance abuse brought on the fast moving cancer.

Mark Paul Gosselaar who played Zack on the show transitioned pretty well out of being a teenage star and into an adult one. He's landed some decent roles on tv shows over the years. Mario Lopez has done ok for himself too.

• Like 3

Dustin had a bit of a rough life it seemed after being a child star. I know he did standup for a while as he got older but it didn't seem like it took off for him. He had his demons. I wonder if any substance abuse brought on the fast moving cancer.

Mark Paul Gosselaar who played Zack on the show transitioned pretty well out of being a teenage star and into an adult one. He's landed some decent roles on tv shows over the years. Mario Lopez has done ok for himself too.

There's another actor who's around the same age who's had similar problems. That guy who used to be in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Brendan something.

There's another actor who's around the same age who's had similar problems. That guy who used to be in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Brendan something.

Nicolas Brendan. But he was already in his 20s when he started on Buffy. I think Sarah Michelle Gellar was the only kid on the show who was around the same age as her character. Still Brendan has had a pretty rough go of it since that show ended.

Nicolas Brendan. But he was already in his 20s when he started on Buffy. I think Sarah Michelle Gellar was the only kid on the show who was around the same age as her character. Still Brendan has had a pretty rough go of it since that show ended.

Yeah these child actors or young actors must get too used to the attention and sense of importance of being on a popular TV show. Then when it goes away and they go back to a relatively normal situation, they feel like there's a hole in their life and they try to fill it with booze or drugs or stupid shit. They miss the good times and the high life and unless they get another top show or learn to cope and handle the situation better they hit a downward spiral.

That's really sad, sounds like an aggressive case since he only found out 3 weeks ago. Lung cancer is nasty stuff, my Dad died from it. I didn't watch the show but he had a lot of fans. RIP :rose:
  • Like 2

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this. I wasn't a regular, and daily watcher of "Saved By the Bell", but I did know, and sometimes, watched the t.v. show. He will be missed. My condolences, to his family, and friends. R.I.P., Dustin.
  • Like 1

Yeah these child actors or young actors must get too used to the attention and sense of importance of being on a popular TV show. Then when it goes away and they go back to a relatively normal situation, they feel like there's a hole in their life and they try to fill it with booze or drugs or stupid shit. They miss the good times and the high life and unless they get another top show or learn to cope and handle the situation better they hit a downward spiral.

Leif Garrett. I also remember a comedy skit "interview" with a character playing Butch Patrick ( Eddie Munster), smoking a cigarette, downing a drink, and lamenting about the "hard times". Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

Jodie Foster's done really well for herself too.

Based on what I've seen on other boards, this man's death was like the anti-Neil response. I haven't seen one negative comment about Neil, and conversely, very few positive ones about this man. Okay, I don't think I ever saw "Saved By The Bell" and never heard of him until he died, but c'mon. Show some respect.

Save the negative dead-celebrity comments for OJ Simpson, or better yet, just forget about him.

Edited by anagramformongo