Happy 60th birthday, Wayne Gretzky

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 89620 posts
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:43 PM

The first premier athlete that was close to my age.  Now he's 60.   :(

Sponsored Post

#2 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

The Professor

• Members
  • 3421 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:53 PM

The Great One! Still seems weird he never one another Cup after being traded from Edmonton (I hoped he'd bring one to St. Louis! -- That was surreal, seeing Gretzky in a Blues jersey).

Happy Birthday!

#3 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 28292 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:04 PM

He's the reason the Hawks have six Cups and not nine.  :moon:

#4 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

I've got a link for that!

• Members
  • 3385 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 06:54 PM

This recent interview Gretzky did in 2016 was informative.

#5 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 11112 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:42 PM

Happy Birthday, Great One!

I saw him play the Colorado Rockies when we lived in Colorado (lol).  It was a great game, Lanny McDonald played for the Rockies back then as well and was always fun to watch.

Edited by blueschica, 26 January 2021 - 10:43 PM.

#6 Derek19

Derek19

The Professor

• Members
  • 3625 posts
  • Interests:I like listening to music, watch movies I think look, and are really good, exercise, read, and computers including learning more about them, and what to do.

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:25 AM

"Happy 60th Birthday, Wayne".  During his playing hockey years, he is, and or was the best, or one of them.  Hopefully, he is keeping really well.

#7 Syrinx

Syrinx

The Professor

• Members
  • 3047 posts
  • Interests:Dallas Cowboys!

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:17 AM

Wow that is old!  How did that happen???  Wait a minute...I turn 60 this year also....

#8 driventotheedge

driventotheedge

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5016 posts
  • Interests:Riding my Harley (2006 Road King)
    Razor clamming
    The Seattle Seahawks

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:23 AM

I am by no means a knowledgeable person when it comes to hockey and I don't watch that much of it. However, I do remember watching him at his peak in Edmonton several times and thinking to myself "geez, he looks like a man playing against boys". It was just so obvious that he was that much better than everybody else on the ice.

#9 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

The Professor

• Members
  • 3421 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:46 PM

View Postdriventotheedge, on 27 January 2021 - 10:23 AM, said:

I am by no means a knowledgeable person when it comes to hockey and I don't watch that much of it. However, I do remember watching him at his peak in Edmonton several times and thinking to myself "geez, he looks like a man playing against boys". It was just so obvious that he was that much better than everybody else on the ice.

I realize the comparison is maybe not useful, but in his last full season of pee-wee hockey he scored 378 goals. He was always a man among boys, even when he was a boy!

#10 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 89620 posts
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:32 PM

View PostNova Carmina, on 27 January 2021 - 12:46 PM, said:

View Postdriventotheedge, on 27 January 2021 - 10:23 AM, said:

I realize the comparison is maybe not useful, but in his last full season of pee-wee hockey he scored 378 goals. He was always a man among boys, even when he was a boy!
Who was he playing against, the Long John Silver Impersonators?

#11 Rhyta

Rhyta

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1926 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:32 AM

Loved the video the NHL posted for him.
Even if he never had scored any goals, he still will hold the record for assists for a long time.  In 1982, 50 goals in 39 games, that's just unbelievable.

I was so sad that Montreal stole the Cup in 1993, I so wanted him to get another Cup.  I got to see him when he became the coach for Phoenix, our local team was their farm club in  2004. He was here along with the Stanley Cup, that was a great day. :D

Edited by Rhyta, 28 January 2021 - 05:34 AM.

#12 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 28292 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:38 AM

View PostRhyta, on 28 January 2021 - 05:32 AM, said:

Even if he never had scored any goals, he still will hold the record for assists for a long time.  In 1982, 50 goals in 39 games, that's just unbelievable.

I was so sad that Montreal stole the Cup in 1993, I so wanted him to get another Cup.  I got to see him when he became the coach for Phoenix, our local team was their farm club in  2004. He was here along with the Stanley Cup, that was a great day. :D
You're getting a demerit, Rhyta. :tsk:  Savard finally got his Cup in 1993.

#13 Rhyta

Rhyta

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1926 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:39 AM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 28 January 2021 - 09:38 AM, said:

View PostRhyta, on 28 January 2021 - 05:32 AM, said:

You're getting a demerit, Rhyta. :tsk:  Savard finally got his Cup in 1993.

That's a consolation perhaps, Mr. Spin-a-rama was a good player, afraid Chicago wasn't on my radar then.  Just thought the Montreal coach was a jerk but at least the Habs haven't been Cup contenders since then :P.  It was Marty McSorehead that really lost the Cup for them :16ton:

#14 Chicken hawk

Chicken hawk

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9365 posts
  • Interests:The Ocean . concerts, ball games, bicycling.

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:53 PM

Happy 60th  Birthday Wayne . Love you !

:rose: :rose: :heart:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users