Jump to content


Smith/Kotzen - Adrian Smith and Richard Dale Kotzen team up for new album

to hell with goodhell

  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 97044 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:18 PM

Posted Image



SMITH/KOTZEN, the electrifying collaboration between guitarists and vocalists Adrian Smith and Richie Kotzen, will release its self-titled debut album on March 26 via BMG. Part-time Los Angeles neighbors, full time friends with a healthy mutual respect. Both artists are seasoned performers on the global stage, having honed their skills throughout their careers to create their own unique musical sound.

Track listing:

01. Taking My Chances
02. Running
03. Scars
04. Some People
05. Glory Road
06. Solar Fire
07. You Don't Know Me
08. I Wanna Stay
09. 'Til Tomorrow

Debut track "Taking My Chances" sets the tone for this brand new partnership between two rock music trail-blazers. Recorded in Turks & Caicos at the start of 2020, the song is evocative of the classic rock bands of the 1970s, brought bang up to date with punchy hooks, harmonies and sheer guitar virtuosity.

Sponsored Post

#2 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

    Many Happy Returns

  • Members *
  • 8744 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:23 PM

Heard this song yesterday. Not bad at all.

#3 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 97044 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:25 PM

View PostTurbine Freight, on 25 January 2021 - 03:23 PM, said:

Heard this song yesterday. Not bad at all.
Seems like Smith has a good singing voice, better than Kotzen.

#4 zepphead

zepphead

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3776 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:N. Ireland
  • Interests:Music .. Collecting music, listening, attending concerts, gym, horse racing, travelling, food & drink.

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:01 PM

I like what I hear so far, it should be a fine album.

#5 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 10515 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:04 PM

I'm excited for this, and I hope there's more Adrian in the mix. The first track sounds like "Richie Kotzen with special guest Adrian Smith". Granted, Richie's command of the guitar is miles ahead of Adrian's, but I would love to see more of a blend than only one of them standing out.

#6 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

    Many Happy Returns

  • Members *
  • 8744 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:05 PM

View PostRod in Toronto, on 25 January 2021 - 04:04 PM, said:

I'm excited for this, and I hope there's more Adrian in the mix. The first track sounds like "Richie Kotzen with special guest Adrian Smith". Granted, Richie's command of the guitar is miles ahead of Adrian's, but I would love to see more of a blend than only one of them standing out.

Yes good point.

#7 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 11105 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:40 AM

I like it a lot!  I'll be interested to hear more.

When did Richie become "Richard Dale Kotzen" lol.  Just kidding.  He is from central PA and we were used to the name Richie. :) My daughter has a few piercings but didn't like to go to the tattoo place alone so I would go with her and they loved him there.  Seemed like they were always playing him while I was waiting!  :lol:

Edited by blueschica, 26 January 2021 - 12:42 AM.


#8 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 10515 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 26 January 2021 - 06:47 AM

Richie is a guy I'd love to talk to. When his last album came out there was a guy at Sonic Perspectives who had a direct connection with his camp and negotiated the interview, so he did it himself. Maybe next time...

#9 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 14791 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:02 AM

Richie Kotzen is one of those names I know but couldn't tell you a damn thing he's ever done.

#10 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 11105 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:16 PM

View PostRod in Toronto, on 26 January 2021 - 06:47 AM, said:

Richie is a guy I'd love to talk to. When his last album came out there was a guy at Sonic Perspectives who had a direct connection with his camp and negotiated the interview, so he did it himself. Maybe next time...

That would be a great interview!  I hope you get to do it sometime.  (Tell him the guys at Visual Addiction tattoo are big fans, lol.  :lol:  )

#11 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 10515 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:13 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 26 January 2021 - 08:02 AM, said:

Richie Kotzen is one of those names I know but couldn't tell you a damn thing he's ever done.

Start with this one, from his last solo album - INCREDIBLE solo at the end!!!!



#12 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 10515 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:25 PM

Kotzen started off as one of the cast of Shrapnel records, which included Paul Gilbert, Greg Howe, Malmsteen, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker and Vinnie Moore. He's a different breed of shred though - his output is closer to a bluesy Prince than anything else. He did a GREAT album with Poison, only to be kicked out of the band for sleeping with Brett Michael's wife, and did two solid Mr. Big albums as well. He has more than 25 solo albums, and is also in the Winery Dogs with Billy Sheehan and Mike Portnoy. check out more of his work, man!!!

#13 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 97044 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:28 PM

View PostRod in Toronto, on 26 January 2021 - 04:25 PM, said:

Kotzen started off as one of the cast of Shrapnel records, which included Paul Gilbert, Greg Howe, Malmsteen, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker and Vinnie Moore. He's a different breed of shred though - his output is closer to a bluesy Prince than anything else. He did a GREAT album with Poison, only to be kicked out of the band for sleeping with Brett Michael's wife, and did two solid Mr. Big albums as well. He has more than 25 solo albums, and is also in the Winery Dogs with Billy Sheehan and Mike Portnoy. check out more of his work, man!!!
Meanwhile you check this out:



#14 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 10515 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:31 PM

Yeah, I love the video!!! I think they've been friends for years.

Here's more Richie for J's ears. Oh, and his wife is Brazilian, and plays with him sometimes.



#15 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 97044 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:34 PM

View PostRod in Toronto, on 26 January 2021 - 04:31 PM, said:

Yeah, I love the video!!! I think they've been friends for years.

Here's more Richie for J's ears. Oh, and his wife is Brazilian, and plays with him sometimes.


Notice how Smith has got the stronger, better voice though? Are you not surprised??

#16 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 10515 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:29 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 26 January 2021 - 04:34 PM, said:

View PostRod in Toronto, on 26 January 2021 - 04:31 PM, said:

Yeah, I love the video!!! I think they've been friends for years.

Here's more Richie for J's ears. Oh, and his wife is Brazilian, and plays with him sometimes.


Notice how Smith has got the stronger, better voice though? Are you not surprised??

His voice is MUCH better than Kotzen's.

#17 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 10515 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:51 PM

Here's another one of Richie's songs, one of my favorites from The Winery Dogs. I get a Whitesnake vibe from this song:



#18 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 97044 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:02 PM

View PostRod in Toronto, on 26 January 2021 - 07:29 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 26 January 2021 - 04:34 PM, said:

View PostRod in Toronto, on 26 January 2021 - 04:31 PM, said:

Yeah, I love the video!!! I think they've been friends for years.

Here's more Richie for J's ears. Oh, and his wife is Brazilian, and plays with him sometimes.


Notice how Smith has got the stronger, better voice though? Are you not surprised??

His voice is MUCH better than Kotzen's.
Why has Smith waited 40 years to do some singing?

#19 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 10515 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:06 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 26 January 2021 - 10:02 PM, said:

View PostRod in Toronto, on 26 January 2021 - 07:29 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 26 January 2021 - 04:34 PM, said:

View PostRod in Toronto, on 26 January 2021 - 04:31 PM, said:

Yeah, I love the video!!! I think they've been friends for years.

Here's more Richie for J's ears. Oh, and his wife is Brazilian, and plays with him sometimes.


Notice how Smith has got the stronger, better voice though? Are you not surprised??

His voice is MUCH better than Kotzen's.
Why has Smith waited 40 years to do some singing?

He sang Reach Out and on the ASAP album. On Maiden, Steve Harris would NEVER let him sing. And actually, I'm pretty sure he sang on Urchin, the band he was in before joining Maiden.

#20 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 97044 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:24 PM

View PostRod in Toronto, on 26 January 2021 - 10:06 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 26 January 2021 - 10:02 PM, said:

View PostRod in Toronto, on 26 January 2021 - 07:29 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 26 January 2021 - 04:34 PM, said:

View PostRod in Toronto, on 26 January 2021 - 04:31 PM, said:

Yeah, I love the video!!! I think they've been friends for years.

Here's more Richie for J's ears. Oh, and his wife is Brazilian, and plays with him sometimes.


Notice how Smith has got the stronger, better voice though? Are you not surprised??

His voice is MUCH better than Kotzen's.
Why has Smith waited 40 years to do some singing?

He sang Reach Out and on the ASAP album. On Maiden, Steve Harris would NEVER let him sing. And actually, I'm pretty sure he sang on Urchin, the band he was in before joining Maiden.
Why does Harris care who sings? Bruce might be pissed though if he was reduced to just flag-waving!





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: to hell with goodhell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users