Bass rig questions...

Brad737

Hello, all.

I’ve played guitar for 30+ years. I’ve never owned a bass, but my kids are about old enough to start playing, so I thought it would be a good idea to get a bass rig. I’m obviously going to get a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, but I have absolutely no idea where to start as far as amps go. Can any of you recommend a good beginner bass amp?

Thanks,

Brad

I like my Fender Rumble. Not sure if the lower-watt models come with the overdrive, but I have a lot of fun with mine - not exactly Lee's sound, but a kind of approximation.

edit - it looks like the Rumble 25 has the overdrive, but I don't know how that one sounds. I have the 500, and I gig with it. Also, it's nice and light!

Edited by toymaker

I like my Fender Rumble. Not sure if the lower-watt models come with the overdrive, but I have a lot of fun with mine - not exactly Lee's sound, but a kind of approximation.

edit - it looks like the Rumble 25 has the overdrive, but I don't know how that one sounds. I have the 500, and I gig with it. Also, it's nice and light!

Yeah the Rumble 40 is supposed to be really good or step up to the Rumble 100 or 200! There's a lot of really good used gear out there and lots of bargains to be had! Edited by New Digital Man
  • Like 1

Yeah the Rumble 40 is supposed to be really good or step up to the Rumble 100 or 200! There's a lot of really good used gear out there and lots of bargains to be had!

There are a lot of options out there. All you need to do is search it on Google about the beginner amps. It is nice to see but there are possible options out there. You can see that there are nice bass rigs out there because bass guitars are actually one of the most important instruments out there. It is hard to tell anyone to buy bass because guitars are definitely more popular but it is noteworthy to say that the beginner bass pieces will fetch a ton of money but it is worth it. Make sure that you buy quality but there should be a good middle ground for price and quality and not just skewed in a certain category.

Yeah, yeah. I know, I'm chiming in a bit belatedly. But I thought, eh, maybe you've not yet made your move on the bass amp. So, here's my two cents . . .

• Gallien-Krueger MB115-II - 200w, 1x15 plus high frequency horn, XLR direct out, headphone jack (for unobtrusive practicing), made in USA, currently priced at $639 (Sweetwater)
  • Tech 21 VT Bass 200 - 200w, 1x12, XLR direct out, headphone jack, good variety of tones, $499
  • Orange Crush Bass 100 - 100w, 1x15, XLR direct out, headphone jack, $569

All three of these are combo amps, so they're easy to transport. They would also be useful if he starts to gig, as any of these would work in any setting up to a medium-size space (might want to put on a stand when gigging).

If you seek that Geddy Lee connection to your equipment purchase, any of these could be rationalized as possessing that quality. Let's see . . . Geddy used Gallien-Kreuger amps back on the Roll the Bones tour. He's been using Tech 21 equipment since the Test for Echo days (they offer Geddy Lee signature equipment, including the GED-2112 Sansamp, which he's used on the past few tours). And Orange . . . he used an Orange amp on the Time Machine tour, plus he has an AD200B MK3 in his home studio.

Edited by dream & vapour

Thanks for the input, folks.  I haven’t bought a bass amp yet.  I’ve just been playing it at low volume through my guitar amps.  I ended up buying a Crafted in Japan version of Geddy’s bass.  I added a couple touches to make it seem a little cooler.  I’ve been considering getting the Tom Brantley pickups, but I watched a YouTube video, and I honestly couldn’t tell the difference between stock Jazz pickups and the Brantleys.

PbrkgZL.jpgKB6QYmj.jpg