The 27 Club Poll - If they'd all lived which of them would have had the most success, and which of them would have faded away?

to hell with goodhell

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: The 27 Club Poll (musicians only) (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these members of the "27 club" would have had more success if they'd ALL lived until 2021?

1. Jimi Hendrix (14 votes [63.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

2. Robert Johnson (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Jim Morrison (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Brian Jones (3 votes [13.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

5. Janis Joplin (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Ron "Pigpen" McKernan (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Kurt Cobain (2 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

8. Richey Edwards (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

9. Amy Winehouse (2 votes [9.09%] - View)

Which of these members of the "27 club" would have been most likely to fade away into obscurity, if they'd ALL lived until 2021?

1. Jimi Hendrix (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Robert Johnson (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Jim Morrison (4 votes [18.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

4. Brian Jones (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Janis Joplin (2 votes [9.09%] - View)

6. Ron "Pigpen" McKernan (7 votes [31.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

7. Kurt Cobain (3 votes [13.64%] - View)

8. Richey Edwards (3 votes [13.64%] - View)

9. Amy Winehouse (3 votes [13.64%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 ozzy85

ozzy85

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3812 posts
  • Interests:Metal. Trucks. Powerbelching. \m/

Posted 08 February 2021 - 10:48 PM

View Postcustom55, on 23 January 2021 - 01:42 PM, said:

Brian Jones.  One talented musician and since The Stones are still going, Brian would still be in the band.

Janis Joplin.  I don't think her voice would have lasted too many years.  Pretty strenuous singing.
I thought about Brian Jones. I think he would have had some success, probably heading a blues band. I think he would have been eclipsed by Hendrix, though. Fade away? I know both Morrison and Cobain really didn't care about stardom. I voted Winehouse, though. I think people would have stopped caring. Or maybe I'm being too crass.

Sponsored Post

#22 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

Non-Binary

• Members
  • 5516 posts
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:06 AM

View PostFridge, on 24 January 2021 - 10:17 AM, said:

Richey Edwards is the obvious choice for success because the evidence is there in the fact that the MSP are massive today and he would have been part of that if he hadn't gone missing/committed suicide.

I have never heard of Pigpen so voted for him for that reason.

I don't think the Manics would have achieved mass success without the attention they got from Richey going missing. I think they would have imploded. Aside from Richey being in very bad mental shape before he disappeared, there were rifts developing in the band over what musical direction to go. Hard to say what would have happened if he had stayed, but to quote James Dean Bradfield, "at that point in his life it was clear that Richey didn't give a flying f**k about trying to write a hit single." He also referred to the Manics's success as a Pyrrhic victory. Sad but true, tragedy is in that band's DNA.

#23 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridgeâ„¢

• Members *
  • 11308 posts
  • Interests:Living things

Objects

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:17 AM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 09 February 2021 - 08:06 AM, said:

View PostFridge, on 24 January 2021 - 10:17 AM, said:

Richey Edwards is the obvious choice for success because the evidence is there in the fact that the MSP are massive today and he would have been part of that if he hadn't gone missing/committed suicide.

I have never heard of Pigpen so voted for him for that reason.

I don't think the Manics would have achieved mass success without the attention they got from Richey going missing. I think they would have imploded. Aside from Richey being in very bad mental shape before he disappeared, there were rifts developing in the band over what musical direction to go. Hard to say what would have happened if he had stayed, but to quote James Dean Bradfield, "at that point in his life it was clear that Richey didn't give a flying f**k about trying to write a hit single." He also referred to the Manics's success as a Pyrrhic victory. Sad but true, tragedy is in that band's DNA.

You're probably right on reflection

I think it's heartbreaking that Richeys genius was bound up in tragedy....but it's also a fact that without his troubles he wouldn't have been the visionary that he was...you simply can't write stuff like that until you've been to the edge of the abyss and stared into it's depths.

I know that his prose is jagged and often very uncomfortable, but I can't think of a better lyricist out there, and imo his work should be essential reading.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: to hell with goodhell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users