New Album Of The Week

Entre_Perpetuo

So last year I noticed I wasn't listening to very much new music at all. I pretty much checked in for some of my old favorites when they released new albums and checked out a small handful of other records that I saw recommended. This year I hope to change that. I'm planning on listening to (at least) one new album every week from January through December. This thread turns that into a chance to challenge myself to write about each new album I listen to. Not to give scores, because assigning numbers to music always comes back to haunt me when I go to rank things, but just to describe the music on each album and express my opinion about it. Maybe at the end of the year I can do some kind of ranking to celebrate a mission accomplished.

But I'd also like to see other folks' opinion about any of the music discussed here. This is a forum after all. If I writing things just for myself I'd put them in my notes rather than in forum posts. So please feel free to join me not just listening to whatever album I pick to listen to each week, but with recommendations of your own for new music you're enjoying this year! Obviously there's not much new out yet (especially in the world of rock) so this thread will get along to a slow start. But I hope by spring it can pick up some steam from other users adding to the discussion and giving their recommendations. You could even join me in my one new album per week challenge, yourself! Anyway here's another new thread.

• Like 2

Week of January 1st

the_dirty_nil_-_fuck_art.jpg

I started off my idea with one of the only new major albums to come out in the first week of the year, The Dirty Nil - F*** Art. Since it's been about a week since I listened to it, I'll keep my thoughts short. If you don't like pop-punk, this isn't for you. If you do, this is definitely worth a listen! It's got most of my favorite pop punk qualities in spades, the slacker adolescent tone, the sugary hooks, the anthemic choruses, the buzzing guitars. It also has the same shortcomings you would expect from any decent pop punk band. The aforementioned slacker adolescent tone, the often shallow lyrics, a general lack of greater meaningful depth or variety. But the lyrics are good fun, the guitars often heavy, the beats absolutely rollicking, and the vocals happily cathartic at their best. In case no one told you, pop punk's not dead, and it doesn't even smell funny.

Week of January 8th

Passenger_SFTDABH_3600px-scaled-e1608700597551.jpg

Here's the latest from an artist I've never heard anything but one song (one, excruciatingly overplayed song) from. At first I wasn't sure I'd get on much with this, the singer's voice is often little more than a whisper with a strong nasal bent that at first place seems unlikely to express more than one, tepidly depressing emotion. However the songwriting here pairs up with some really lovely classic arrangements to carry the album from start to finish. Each song is cut from the same emotional cloth, sure, but they all have a bit of a different style with a couple instrumental twists and turns to keep them all exciting. From some lovely mandolin backing, to romantic string accents, to brooding synth atmospheres, to playful piano runs, to stalwart electric guitar voicings, the record feels very much like a collection of 70s pro studio musicians got together and had a good time. The songwriting couldn't be much more in line with this aesthetic either. It may not be as lyrically profound as Neil Young or Bob Dylan, nor as emotionally profound as James Taylor, but melodically and harmonically Passenger is seeped in those classic 70s singer songwriters. Add in a post-Coldplay tendency to wade in a feeling rather than create some kind of catharsis and you have a good idea of the music on this album. Already I'm glad I started my new listening rule because this (along with last week's new record by The Dirty Nil) is something I can see myself returning to often and soon.

• Like 1

New album of this week was going to be Accept's Too Mean to Die, but I think its been delayed until February now.

Everything keeps getting pushed back. :(

• Like 1

Week of January 8th

Here's the latest from an artist I've never heard anything but one song (one, excruciatingly overplayed song) from. At first I wasn't sure I'd get on much with this, the singer's voice is often little more than a whisper with a strong nasal bent that at first place seems unlikely to express more than one, tepidly depressing emotion. However the songwriting here pairs up with some really lovely classic arrangements to carry the album from start to finish. Each song is cut from the same emotional cloth, sure, but they all have a bit of a different style with a couple instrumental twists and turns to keep them all exciting. From some lovely mandolin backing, to romantic string accents, to brooding synth atmospheres, to playful piano runs, to stalwart electric guitar voicings, the record feels very much like a collection of 70s pro studio musicians got together and had a good time. The songwriting couldn't be much more in line with this aesthetic either. It may not be as lyrically profound as Neil Young or Bob Dylan, nor as emotionally profound as James Taylor, but melodically and harmonically Passenger is seeped in those classic 70s singer songwriters. Add in a post-Coldplay tendency to wade in a feeling rather than create some kind of catharsis and you have a good idea of the music on this album. Already I'm glad I started my new listening rule because this (along with last week's new record by The Dirty Nil) is something I can see myself returning to often and soon.

In the face of nothing better, I shall give it a spin!
  • Like 1

Week of January 8th

i played this. Really nice surprise!! it is VERY VERY 70's singer/songwriter. i don't know if you know who this is.....but i get strong Donovan vibes from Passenger. AND surprise of all surprises. it sounds great. very warm 70's sound

this was a really good spin.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Week of January 8th

i played this. Really nice surprise!! it is VERY VERY 70's singer/songwriter. i don't know if you know who this is.....but i get strong Donovan vibes from Passenger. AND surprise of all surprises. it sounds great. very warm 70's sound

Mick

Awesome! I think I've heard of Donovan but I don't know anything by them. Do you have any recommendations?

Week of January 8th

Mick

Awesome! I think I've heard of Donovan but I don't know anything by them. Do you have any recommendations?

honestly i have 1 album and a greatest hits

but the album is Mellow Yellow and i really love it. it's very 60's folk but i can hear that passenger played some Donovan, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

Week of January 8th

Mick

but the album is Mellow Yellow and i really love it. it's very 60's folk but i can hear that passenger played some Donovan, lol

Mick

Well, I gave the Passenger album a spin and immediately went online to find out more about him.

I was quite shocked to find that he has a bunch of releases! ...... I honestly had not come across him before.

This is a cracking little record and I can see me playing it a lot.

Great choice Entre for first 'album of the week'!!

• Like 1

Week of January 8th

Mick

Mick

Well, I gave the Passenger album a spin and immediately went online to find out more about him.

I was quite shocked to find that he has a bunch of releases! ...... I honestly had not come across him before.

Yea. he has even a release schedule like the 70's. one album a year, lol

he is quite good and i think i've been missing out a bit.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Week of January 8th

Mick

Mick

Yea. he has even a release schedule like the 70's. one album a year, lol

he is quite good and i think i've been missing out a bit.

Mick

I agree .... i may have to delve into his back catalog a bit.
  • Like 2

Week of January 15th:

This week, a new album by a band I've never heard of in a style I'm mostly unfamiliar with! Should be fun!

doc204.shame.dtp.hr.jpg

I listened to it a few nights ago and didn't have the brain power at the time to write anything. Not to mention this record threw me for a bit of a loop. It's heavy, sometimes crushingly so, but mostly it revels in the chaos of its demolishing rhythms and avant garde melodies. The vocals seem to swing wildly between a Mick Jagger bark and an Ian Mackaye scream, but in the register of the guys from Wire. Not that their aren't melodies and refrains per say, but the singer uses his voice to full theatrical effect as often as he sings the tunes. The music itself has a great deal of variety inside its claustrophobic, nihilistic atmosphere. Jaunty, lunging cuts like Great Dog and March Day sit right next to slow burning descents into madness like Snow Day and the epic closer Station Wagon. Though the tempos, keys, and roles the different instruments play may change from track to track, the intensity remains largely consistent throughout. It sometimes seems difficult to determine if that intensity is meant to be more cathartic or more disturbing at times, which is probably what made it difficult for me to get into on the first listen. However it also doesn't seem like the kind of record that's meant to be pretty well understood in one listen, unlike the last two I reviewed here. Final note, there was some really excellent bass work on a couple tracks, I believe on of them was Water In The Well, but I could be mistaken.

I'm told online the style on display here is pretty standard for english post punk of the darker variety, a subgenre I haven't much explored. From my own personal perspective, it reminds me of Wire if they were as chaotic as the Clash and as depressed as Morissey.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

Week Of January 22nd

61jHeHfVgyL._SX466_.jpg

Technically I am a day early (album official release date Friday 22nd January) but I acquired it today.

Glenn Hughes and Doug Aldrich are a natural fit for each other, Aldrich played guitar for Hughes on his 2015 UK tour. I saw them in Belfast on that tour and they put on a great show.

Hughes addition to The Dead Daisies elevates them to a new level. This is hard rock/metal at its best and Hughes voice still sounds so good.

As usual with the Daisies there is the obligatory cover song - Humble Pie's 30 Days In The Hole, and a very good version it is.

I would highly recommend this album.

• Like 2

Bit late...January 22

Kiwi%20Jr%20-%20Cooler%20Returns.jpg

January 15

SleafordModsSpareRibs-Main.jpg

I have not heard of either of these outfits but I will give them a go.
  • Like 1

Week of January 15th:

This week, a new album by a band I've never heard of in a style I'm mostly unfamiliar with! Should be fun!

doc204.shame.dtp.hr.jpg

I listened to it a few nights ago and didn't have the brain power at the time to write anything. Not to mention this record threw me for a bit of a loop. It's heavy, sometimes crushingly so, but mostly it revels in the chaos of its demolishing rhythms and avant garde melodies. The vocals seem to swing wildly between a Mick Jagger bark and an Ian Mackaye scream, but in the register of the guys from Wire. Not that their aren't melodies and refrains per say, but the singer uses his voice to full theatrical effect as often as he sings the tunes. The music itself has a great deal of variety inside its claustrophobic, nihilistic atmosphere. Jaunty, lunging cuts like Great Dog and March Day sit right next to slow burning descents into madness like Snow Day and the epic closer Station Wagon. Though the tempos, keys, and roles the different instruments play may change from track to track, the intensity remains largely consistent throughout. It sometimes seems difficult to determine if that intensity is meant to be more cathartic or more disturbing at times, which is probably what made it difficult for me to get into on the first listen. However it also doesn't seem like the kind of record that's meant to be pretty well understood in one listen, unlike the last two I reviewed here. Final note, there was some really excellent bass work on a couple tracks, I believe on of them was Water In The Well, but I could be mistaken.

I'm told online the style on display here is pretty standard for english post punk of the darker variety, a subgenre I haven't much explored. From my own personal perspective, it reminds me of Wire if they were as chaotic as the Clash and as depressed as Morissey.

I shall try them out.

Bit late...January 22

Kiwi%20Jr%20-%20Cooler%20Returns.jpg

January 15

SleafordModsSpareRibs-Main.jpg

I have not heard of either of these outfits but I will give them a go.

I listened to both these albums this afternoon with varying degrees of success!!

- Kiwi Jr: I actually quite liked this ..... jangly and poppy with indie attitude and some clever lyrics. At times it reminded me a bit of very early REM. I could certainly listen to this again.

- Sleaford Mods: I struggled with this right from the start. I could not identify with the music at all and hated the vocals. Just not for me.

• Like 1

Week of January 15th:

doc204.shame.dtp.hr.jpg

I shall try them out.

I have just finished playing this ..... right back there to the late '70s and very typical post-punk. I was never a fan of this sort of stuff and it very quickly became hard work. Not my cuppa tea at all.

Week of January 15th:

doc204.shame.dtp.hr.jpg

I shall try them out.

I have just finished playing this ..... right back there to the late '70s and very typical post-punk. I was never a fan of this sort of stuff and it very quickly became hard work. Not my cuppa tea at all.

Yeah it's not my usual drink of choice either. I might give it another spin or two though, just to see if anything really sticks.

• Like 1

Steven Wilson’s album has leaked. Not really to my taste but an interesting listen.

I liked it a lot

I listened to it for the first time today and I have to admit on first listen I also really liked it!
  • Like 1

Week of January 22:

Steve%20HackettUnder%20A%20Mediterranean%20Sky.jpg

There were a few albums I had my eye on last week but after seeing Zephead's comments on this I thought I'd give it a go. I knew Steve could play some classical acoustic stuff, but I had no clue he'd gotten so good since the 70s. His style has grown in speed and nuance and his compositions have developed in character to reflect more complex moods and colors. Put simply I think he's become an outright master of the style, and self taught too! The orchestral elements are incredibly well done and the whole album achieves a really remarkable balance and interplay between the orchestra and Steve's guitar. The pieces on here are meant to elicit the sounds and sights of the Mediterranean, and as someone who's only seen a bit of it in person I think it's very successful. It stirred my imagination to the point where I was really starting to picture landscapes and portraits in my mind guided my the music. A wonderful record of surpassing beauty.

• Like 1