If You Could Only Own Three Rush Albums?

The Cat 3

Hold Your Fire

Vapor Trails

Feedback

This is a joke, right?

I guess someone noticed. :chickendance:

Hold Your Fire is f***ing good you pricks! :madra:

I like Hold Your Fire more than any Rush studio album that followed. Some of those albums have a song or more that I like more than anything off HYF but, as a whole, I think HYF beats them. Nothing off HYF annoys me like some of the stuff off Bones, Snakes, or Clockwork.

• Like 1

Hold Your Fire

Vapor Trails

Feedback

This is a joke, right?

I like Hold Your Fire more than any Rush studio album that followed. Some of those albums have a song or more that I like more than anything off HYF but, as a whole, I think HYF beats them. Nothing off HYF annoys me like some of the stuff off Bones, Snakes, or Clockwork.

:goodone:

Hold Your Fire

Vapor Trails

Feedback

This is a joke, right?

There's no yodeling on HYF. No clunky lyrics crammed into a single line. No preaching. None of that.

Hold Your Fire

Vapor Trails

Feedback

This is a joke, right?

There's no yodeling on HYF. No clunky lyrics crammed into a single line. No preaching. None of that.

And no yodelling!

Hold Your Fire

Vapor Trails

Feedback

This is a joke, right?

And no yodelling!

i said that

Hold Your Fire

Vapor Trails

Feedback

This is a joke, right?

And no yodelling!

i said that

Right, I missed that first bit.

Damn......how about 4?

Permanent Waves

Hemispheres

Moving Pictures

• Like 1

I really do not understand all the votes for Hemispheres as a top three. it is a great album, but I think 2112 and Farewell to the Kings are both better.

You don't understand that taste is subjective?

• Like 1

I really do not understand all the votes for Hemispheres as a top three. it is a great album, but I think 2112 and Farewell to the Kings are both better.

Obviously this is all subjective, but usually it makes some sort of sense.

Here in NY they have a top 1000 countdown of the best classic rock songs of all time. Stairway has won every year (at least 35 years). This makes sense to me especially given the older demographic of classic rock stations and how much people love Zep.

I believe a poll done on this site voted Hemispheres #1 and as a fan for 40 years, I think what are these guys smoking? The album has only four songs and lets be honest Cygnus X1 Book II is a 7 at best.

I was just trying to understand why people loved this album so much

Moving Pictures Vapor Trails Signals

The 3rd choice could change depending on mood, i really wanna stick Counterparts in or even Test For Echo

Permanent Waves is obviously note perfect the quintessential fully developed Rush album but can play it in my head note perfect anyway so no need for actual album

Edited by lifeson90

My choices are...

All the World's a Stage / A Farewell to Kings / Hemispheres

220px-Rush_ATWAS.jpg

I discovered Rush in 1977 when I purchased "A Farewell to Kings" when it was first released at a record store at the Shoppingtown Mall in Dewitt, New York.

I all happened quite by accident actually.

.For some reason we didn't have school that day and my friend John N. and I hitch-hiked to the mall.

We saw these two girls in the record store and I started talking to one who was holding "A Farewell to Kings", which had just been released.

My friend, John, walks up and says, "Aw, man, Rush sucks...Geddy Lee sings like a girl".

I grab a copy from the bin and say, "No, they're great dude, I'm getting this".

Mind you, I've never heard one note of their music that I can recall before that.

So, I buy the record, just to impress my new friend.

After spending the day with our new girlfriends, John and I hitch-hike back home.

We smoked a joint and headed to John's where we spun the new Rush album.

Our little 14 year minds were simply blown by what we heard that day.

(I would like to state for the record that John became the biggest Rush fan that day).

220px-Rush_A_Farewell_to_Kings.jpg

I picked up "All the World's a Stage" the very next day with money I managed to scrape together, borrowing the rest from my sister.

I played those records over and over and over and over again.

rushfarewellkings.jpg?w=228

Then it happened, 18 November 1977...

...Rush came to the War Memorial in Syracuse, New York, where I lived..

3 friends, Mike L., Jeff P. and Jamie M. and I got tickets (each of us telling our parents that we were sleeping at one another's houses) and off we went to the big rock show.

This was only my second concert, the first being KISS a few months earlier.

Rush_Hemispheres.jpg

That was it, I was a full-fledged Rush fanatic and there was no turning back.

I completed my collection quickly by adding "2112" a week later with my paper route money, adding the first three as soon I could thereafter.

Less than a year later, "Hemispheres" was released and I got to see them on that tour as well.

1410961322000-1978-RUSH-55321653.JPG

Ah, life of the rock and roll kid.

Looking back, I can see what that was not only was it a pivotal time for them, it was for me as well.

The perfect band at the perfect time...more than nostalgia, but rather a most magical part of my life's soundtrack.

That's awesome, I came to Rush in 1993 when I was 15. I always wonder what it was like back in these days hearing these awesome albums as they came out then seeing the tours that followed. I was born in the wrong decade!

• Like 1

Obviously this is all subjective, but usually it makes some sort of sense.

Here in NY they have a top 1000 countdown of the best classic rock songs of all time. Stairway has won every year (at least 35 years). This makes sense to me especially given the older demographic of classic rock stations and how much people love Zep.

I believe a poll done on this site voted Hemispheres #1 and as a fan for 40 years, I think what are these guys smoking? The album has only four songs and lets be honest Cygnus X1 Book II is a 7 at best.

I was just trying to understand why people loved this album so much

I'm pretty sure you still don't understand that taste is subjective :P

Permanent Waves is obviously note perfect the quintessential fully developed Rush album but can play it in my head note perfect anyway so no need for actual album

I'd give that title to MP because I adore every song on it. (PW has a couple I dislike.)

But yeah I see what you mean. Full command of their powers.

• Like 1

HYF is in my top 5 for sure, mostly because of melody/voice. It's when Ged was at his best at the mic.

He learned to sing in a good chest voice, and he kept doing it in Presto and RTB.

This thread is 5 pages and 3 are about candy bars.

I love Bounty Bars. Milk Chocolate

But nothing beats a salty pretzel rod dipped in chocolate.

I don't like pretzels they seem too hard and inedible to me.

What about soft pretzels?

Soft but still inedible.