What in the world of music did you learn today?

Entre_Perpetuo

On August 2, 2003 during the weekend Phish Festival at Loring Air Force Base, ME. Phish came out at 2:30am and jammed from atop a 10-story high now-defunct air traffic control tower for 1 hour. A complete surprise to the campers attending the weekend festival.

• Like 1

I've been listening to a lot of Casey Kasem top 40 archives from the 80s on iheartradio lately and found out on some episode for a week in August 1987 that James Taylor sang backup on Back In The High Life by Steve Winwood.

Nice. Are you aware that Toni Tenille sang backup on some of the songs on The Wall?

Edited by driventotheedge

In it's time, the Jeff Beck album "Truth" was seen as the foundation of Heavy Metal. In the sense that the albums combination of blues and electric was an inspiration for other artists that further developed the sound.

So Blue Cheer, Hendrix, Zeppelin, and of course Tony Iommi. Just to get the train rolling. (To be fair I think both Hard Rock and Metal were pretty much the same thing early on).

I think Jeff himself sais that it's not a metal record - but he could see how the blues sound he had evolved into what became metal.

As for me, I just discovered the record about a week ago, and I can't stop playing it.

Edited by grep

Origins of the term "hip hop", pre-Rapper's Delight.

https://en.wikipedia...p_hop#Etymology

I see you must have read my post in the other thread, lol.

I wasn't horribly far off it looks like. Rapper's Delight was very close to the first major usage of the term, just not quite ground zero itself, which makes sense when I think about it.

Sting gets $2k a day in royalties because Puff..whatever the hell he calls himself now didn't ask permission to sample Every Breath You Take to honor Biggie Smalls. I feel sorry for Andy Summers because only his guitar was sampled but Sting got the copyright.

It was Sting's melody. :)

Quotation-Ozzy-Osbourne-Sometimes-I-m-scared-of-being-Ozzy-Osbourne-But-it-63-75-42.jpg

Reminds me of this joke on the Gorgo episode of MST3K which is the British equivalent of a Godzilla movie.

Crow: "On the bright side, he may crush Sting."

Today I learned that new Iron Maiden is still fresh and exciting and has the ability to make me moister than your mum at a Sting concert
  • Like 1

A couple weeks ago I was at a family BBQ and the hosts had a TV on the patio where we were eating and had it tuned to one of those commercial free music stations that give little factoids about the song/band that's playing. They had it set to the 70s channel and the song Everybody Plays The Fool by The Main Ingredient played. A very good song I remember well.

So, one of the members of The Main Ingredient is one Cuba Gooding Sr. Yep, the father of the Oscar winning actor Cuba Gooding Jr. I had no idea.

• Like 1

I've been listening to a lot of Casey Kasem top 40 archives from the 80s on iheartradio lately and found out on some episode for a week in August 1987 that James Taylor sang backup on Back In The High Life by Steve Winwood.

Great song and album, I still play it off and on, used to take it on road trips, good stuff.

I'm watching the original Hairspray on HBO Max. Remember Vitamin C who had that graduation song and few other hits in the early 00s? She played the role that Brittany Snow played in the 2007 movie. Had no idea she'd been around for years before that and Put A Smile On Your Face. I originally thought she was around the age of those like Britney and Christina back then.

She was even in an alt rock band before that called Eve's Plum.

Edited by invisible airwave

Indorock is a musical genre that originated in the 1950s in the Netherlands. It is a fusion of Indonesian and Western music, with roots in Kroncong (traditional Portuguese-Indonesian fusion music). The genre was invented by Indo repatriates in the Netherlands after Indonesian independence on August 17, 1945, and became popular especially in Germany. Indorock is one of the earliest forms of "Eurorock".[1] Its influence on Dutch popular music was immense.

I was browsing the track listing for Heart's 1982 album Private Audition.

I discover there's a song called 'Fast Times'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZSgqr2gcVI

For some reason, the film Fast Times at Ridgemont High popped into my head, which was released the same year.

Then I discovered Cameron Crowe wrote the screenplay.

As well, Crowe met Nancy Wilson in person during this time.

I emailed my thoughts to The Uncool - The Official Website for Everything Cameron Crowe website.

The assistant for the website said that the Heart song was written for the movie, but they either decided not to use it or the label wouldn't allow it.

Edited by RushFanForever

I was browsing the track listing for Heart's 1982 album Private Audition.

I discover there's a song called 'Fast Times'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZSgqr2gcVI

For some reason, the film Fast Times at Ridgemont High popped into my head, which was released the same year.

Then I discovered Cameron Crowe wrote the screenplay.

As well, Crowe met Nancy Wilson in person during this time.

I emailed my thoughts to The Uncool - The Official Website for Everything Cameron Crowe website.

The assistant for the website said that the Heart song was written for the movie, but they either decided not to use it or the label wouldn't allow it.

And she has the cameo in that scene with Hamilton in the pirate fast food outfit.