The Beatles vs. The Rolling Stones

Lorraine

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which band is(was) more talented?

• The Beatles
    • The Rolling Stones
    • They both stink. Neither one.

beatles by a slight edge. McCartney and Lennon are more talented than anyone from the Stones. Yes, the Stones had a longer career. But post mid 80s they've just put out retread shit. You could also make the strong argument that the Beatles solo careers were stronger after break up than any solo efforts from the Stones.

As for the Beatles concerts, all mid 60s concert sound production was shit so I don't give that much weight. It wasn't until the 70s that arena rock sound production got more refined.

When the Beatles played places like Shea Stadium and Candlestick Park they used the stadium's PA system which basically was bullhorns. Think about it. And they used no monitors so musicians did not hear themselves playing, especially The Beatles because 50,000 girls were screaming like banshees.

Listen to the cleaned up Hollywood Bowl concerts - the Beatles were a tight band. Maybe not better than some of their contemporaries but still a tight energetic band.

• Like 3

One thing I really appreciate about the Beatles/Stones debate is when the Beatles were dissolving and breaking up the Stones were coalescing into the best version of the band. Wonderful timing.

And yet as the Beatles were splintering at the seams they got it together enough to put my my favorite album of theirs, Abbey Road. In the very same year as my favorite Stones album no less, Let It Bleed!

• Like 1

I know it doesn't count but I've seen hours and hours of live Beatles footage. They are terrible.

Even that stunt they played on the rooftop is crap.

The Beatles are great but they are so overrated.

The Best Oxymoronic Band In the World.

There are so many band that sound so amazing in the studio. Live? PURE SHITE!

Ringo live? He looks like the dead guy in WEEKEND AT BERNIE'S when he plays the drums!! LOL!!!

Watts may look bored too but he likes to hit a China Boy Cymbal. HA!

Earl if you had just 10 dollars left and you decided to hell with it I'll buy one more album, and it was between the Beatles, Stones, Who and Kinks, which band would get your 10 bucks?

He’d steal an additional 10 bones from his next door neighbor then spend the 20 on the Japanese import version of Aldo Nova’s debut...his sixth copy of that version.

• Like 2

I know it doesn't count but I've seen hours and hours of live Beatles footage. They are terrible.

Even that stunt they played on the rooftop is crap.

The Beatles are great but they are so overrated.

The Best Oxymoronic Band In the World.

There are so many band that sound so amazing in the studio. Live? PURE SHITE!

Ringo live? He looks like the dead guy in WEEKEND AT BERNIE'S when he plays the drums!! LOL!!!

Watts may look bored too but he likes to hit a China Boy Cymbal. HA!

Earl if you had just 10 dollars left and you decided to hell with it I'll buy one more album, and it was between the Beatles, Stones, Who and Kinks, which band would get your 10 bucks?

He’d steal an additional 10 bones from his next door neighbor then spend the 20 on the Japanese import version of Aldo Nova’s debut...his sixth copy of that version.

Of course!

• Like 1

I think the debate of who was the better live act is a bit stacked in favour of the Stones.

The Beatles stopped playing live in 1966 whereas the Stones continue playing. The difference in terms of equipment and live production has improved massively since 1966.

It is hard for me to expand or contribute to this argument as I never saw the Beatles live and only saw the Stones once in 1982.

However my mate (who is a few years older than me) saw the Beatles in 1964 in The Kings Hall Belfast. I asked him about this. He said that basically the Beatle's amplification was woefully inadequate for the venue, and, it wouldn't have really mattered anyway, as the entire show from start to finish was drowned out by the sound of screaming girls!

When I saw the Stones in 1982 it was a full blown stage show with a band in their prime. A fantastic gig!

I can tell you've I've seen McCartney 3 times, 1993, 2002 and 2017 and with the modern technology he was every bit as good as the Stones were when I saw them in 1994. It does make a huge difference. Plus no screaming girls.

I've had people ask me on numerous occasions if I could go back in time and see only one artist who it would be. They're always surprised when I answer "Jimi Hendrix" cuz they know what a Beatles freak I am. But I immediately mention that you just couldn't hear the Beatles back then cuz of the screaming teeny boppers and they get it.

• Like 4

Ibanez, would you be so kind as to come back and tell me why you don't like either band. You don't have to like them at all, but I'm curious as to why you dislike both of them.

:cheers:

Rush was just played during the Cowgirls-Ex-Redskins game! LIMELIGHT!

• Like 1

Ibanez, would you be so kind as to come back and tell me why you don't like either band. You don't have to like them at all, but I'm curious as to why you dislike both of them.

Oh btw, he mostly only likes instrumental music.

• Like 2

That's okay. We can hum the songs to him. :16ton:

• Like 1

Aye!

The Beatles

My vote for the greatest band of all time. I don't see any other contenders.

• Like 3

Well... I`m shocked that I`m the only person who is not a fan of either. Can`t say it`s due to a lack of exposure to either band! Neither band have "grabbed" me, although I liked George as a solo artist and man. And The Stones work as part of a Scorsese soundtrack...

Yes, treeduck is right, I do like instrumentals most of all, but honestly? I think it`s probably because I have Asperger`s (and ADHD)...I often feel disconnected to the rest of the world as my brain`s different and not always right :smash:

• Like 1

Well... I`m shocked that I`m the only person who is not a fan of either. Can`t say it`s due to a lack of exposure to either band! Neither band have "grabbed" me, although I liked George as a solo artist and man. And The Stones work as part of a Scorsese soundtrack...

Yes, treeduck is right, I do like instrumentals most of all, but honestly? I think it`s probably because I have Asperger`s (and ADHD)...I often feel disconnected to the rest of the world as my brain`s different and not always right :smash:

Feelings are never facts. You seem pretty connected to me on here. :)

As for feeling you've always been on the outside looking in, many here have always felt that as well, myself included.

No one is obliged to like either band, I was just wondering why you didn't because most people like either/or

• Like 1

Well... I`m shocked that I`m the only person who is not a fan of either. Can`t say it`s due to a lack of exposure to either band! Neither band have "grabbed" me...

I think both are fantastic Greatest Hits bands, with the Beatlesedging the Dtones on number of great songs, while the Stones have better have-to-hear top tracks. But album-wise, neither band thrills me.

I prefer the Who.

The Beatles

For me that would be Zeppelin. Beginning to end, their catalog is pretty flawless.
  • Like 1

The Beatles

For me that would be Zeppelin. Beginning to end, their catalog is pretty flawless.

greatest is opinion based i believe. i personally don't know if i can call any group the greatest ever. that's a STATEMENT, lol.

are the beatles up there? sure. but greatest ever? I have a hard time assigning greatest to anything,

Mick

• Like 1

The Beatles

greatest is opinion based i believe. i personally don't know if i can call any group the greatest ever. that's a STATEMENT, lol.

are the beatles up there? sure. but greatest ever? I have a hard time assigning greatest to anything,

Mick

Nickelback are the GOAT

• Like 2

The Beatles

Mick

Nickelback are the GOAT

if by that you mean Chad Kroger's a bleating goat....yes.

Mick

• Like 2