Commercialization - this is getting embarrassing

99man

Left the follow review for Rush: The Making of A Farewell to Kings: The Graphic Novel

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1970047127/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_IeCVFbCRZ2QE5

My poor Rush

Good grief.

Said once, and I'll keep saying it.

Rush has taken another step to completely commercializing what's left of the band. This is not the band I grew up with.

Gene Simmons would be proud.

Terry Brown produced only.

Let the hate begin.

Edited by 99man

I got it as a gift from one of my kids and enjoyed it, since AFTK is one of my favorites. No one is making anyone buy these things.

I think Rush has done a good job with the anniversary release albums and packages. They at least try to make them nice for the fans. I like the Rolling Stones, but good grief, I must get an email every week about another repackage of a repackage of a repackage that they are trying to sell and I don't really see much difference from previous productions.

The AFTK graphic book came out before covid even started but in general I don't think it's much of a surprise that bands are pushing the merch more than ever. They don't make that much from streaming and new releases usually don't sell that well. Now bands can't tour so if they want to keep up the income I guess they head to the merchandise. I dunno, I don't think Rush has over done it like some. I do love me some Rush, though so maybe I have a blind eye! :LOL:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

How is this getting embarrassing? This is the 21st century, technology is a lot more advanced, and many of our heroes are coming and going, so obviously a band like Rush would love to tell stories and pay tributes.
  • Like 2

The graphic novel doesn’t affect the greatness of that album.

The graphic novel doesn’t affect my wallet.

Why is Rush underwear okay? Why is a Rush bobblehead okay? But a Rush graphic novel isn’t okay?

It’s all okay. The music isn’t affected by these physical items.

I don’t buy any of these items, but I also don’t mind any of them either. Why would I?

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 5

The graphic novel doesn’t effect the greatness of that album.

The graphic novel doesn’t effect my wallet.

Why is Rush underwear okay? Why is a Rush bobblehead okay? But a Rush graphic novel isn’t okay?

It’s all okay. The music isn’t affected by these physical items.

I don’t buy any of these items, but I also don’t mind any of them either. Why would I?

Ditto.

Ah, consumerism.

Let us patiently wait for the next great Rush idea.

Rush suppositories? Or maybe a Rush fast food restaurant? "I'll order a Quarter Pound YYZ - with extra pickles, with a side order 2112s".

"Art is only as good as next useless piece of crap to purchase".

A quote from absolutely no one.

I think the graphic novel is really cool actually. They're a legacy act now and they know it. They won't have more music and they can't tour anymore, may as well keep the fans happy with interesting merch and work on telling those stories we've always wanted to hear. To be fair though I also think the Kiss Gene Simmon's waffle maker I got for my dad one year is really cool, so maybe I'm just a boring old capitalistic consumer. Can't say I don't enjoy me a nice Gene Simmon's waffle in the morning.
  • Like 2

I think the graphic novel is really cool actually. They're a legacy act now and they know it. They won't have more music and they can't tour anymore, may as well keep the fans happy with interesting merch and work on telling those stories we've always wanted to hear. To be fair though I also think the Kiss Gene Simmon's waffle maker I got for my dad one year is really cool, so maybe I'm just a boring old capitalistic consumer. Can't say I don't enjoy me a nice Gene Simmon's waffle in the morning.

:LOL:

And I don’t mind that either. All that (sometimes fun) fluff STILL has no impact on me when I think about how great Destroyer and Alive are.

• Like 2

:LOL:

And I don’t mind that either. All that (sometimes fun) fluff STILL has no impact on me when I think about how great Destroyer and Alive are.

Exactly!

Ah, consumerism.

Rush suppositories? Or maybe a Rush fast food restaurant? "I'll order a Quarter Pound YYZ - with extra pickles, with a side order 2112s".

Will Permanent Waves suddenly turn to shit if they make a surfboard design out of that album cover?

Ah, consumerism.

Check the “burgers and such” section of this restaurant / bar’s menu:

http://www.mickysirishpub.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Menu-AUG-2020.pdf

This wasn’t from the Rush camp but it was put on the menu because Geddy Lee exists. The burger sounds gouda to me :hail:

• Like 1

Don't even think about dissing my life-size Paula Turnbull Ou La La™ inflatable doll....
  • Like 3

Ah, consumerism.

The next great Rush idea would have to be a partnership with Estee Lauder on Panacea: Liquid Grace, the perfume.

• Like 1

Ah, consumerism.

A Rush suppository is actually a great idea, especially for an aging fan base.

How about Rush branded In the End suppositories

You can take one

Wait a little while

Works its magic

And brings back your smile

In the End

Oooh, yeah

Oh yeah yeah

• Like 2

In 1977, The Defenders (by Marvel Comics) dedicated their 45th issue to each member of RUSH as noted here and here.

In it, the antagonist Red Rajah (who is really a mind-controlled Dr. Strange) says: “Truth is false and logic lost, consult the Raja at all cost.”

Then in the 80's, there was The Body Electric cartoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGRvpmnrkDY

There's always been a connection with science-fiction, comic books, video games, and now graphic novels for music acts.

Now there's lyric videos and cartoon animation that's intertwined with the RUSH catalogue posted on the band's YouTube channel.

99man, I don't see what the problem is with this. I don't see this as commercialization but more creativity.

It makes me think of the fan who recently realized and commented with Rage Against The Machine being too political as noted here.

How oblivious the fan was throughout the band's career.

• Like 1