What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

Lorraine

Are you cooking or going over someone else's house?

We were invited to a Thanksgiving dinner over someone's house, but my husband can be humiliating and embarrassing in public, so I declined. Instead, I'm making a chicken at home because my husband doesn't care much for turkey. Chicken with sweet potatoes, stuffing, mushroom/onion gravy, broccoli/cauliflower, salad, and apple crumb pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert.

:) thanksgiving_mona_lisa_pilgrim_post_cards-r67a5fe6069794d3db1d7f15e7fb722b0_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

• Like 6

We were invited to a Thanksgiving dinner over someone's house, but my husband can be humiliating and embarrassing in public, so I declined. Instead, I'm making a chicken at home because my husband doesn't care much for turkey. Chicken with sweet potatoes, stuffing, mushroom/onion gravy, broccoli/cauliflower, salad, and apple crumb pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert.

:) thanksgiving_mona_lisa_pilgrim_post_cards-r67a5fe6069794d3db1d7f15e7fb722b0_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

Sounds delicious! :clap: :clap:

• Like 3

Sounds lovely Lorraine! Thanksgiving is not so big over here although over the past few years we have tried to have a family get-together over a nice roast dinner.

Sadly, this year, the rules in N. Ireland for covid mean that people from outside your immediate household are not allowed to mix. So a get-together is impossible.

We hope that these rules may get relaxed for a few days over Christmas but there are no guarantees. I hope so, I haven't been able to visit my mum for almost 10 weeks now.

• Like 5

Just me and hubby. Part takeout (turkey, broccolini) and part cooked here (mashed potatoes and stuffing)...all the recipes my Mom used to cook is just too much for 2 people. Will be having a zoom chat with my sister's family, it is just too scary to risk getting together.
  • Like 6

Just me and hubby. Part takeout (turkey, broccolini) and part cooked here (mashed potatoes and stuffing)...all the recipes my Mom used to cook is just too much for 2 people. Will be having a zoom chat with my sister's family, it is just too scary to risk getting together.

It's really weird - I wonder how many people a year ago had even heard of the zoom application? Now the whole world uses it!!
  • Like 4

Nothing this year. Covid infections have spiked so much in our county over the last month that our area is in threat of going into what they call the "red zone" which means our lockdown will go back to where it was in March and April. We are currently in the orange zone which has its own set of restrictions. With the holidays coming and so many people in general being dumb and selfish as always, I fully expect us to be in the red zone again very soon. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 7

Sadly, this year, the rules in N. Ireland for covid mean that people from outside your immediate household are not allowed to mix. So a get-together is impossible.

Huh, here in the States we think we know more than health care professionals. In Michigan, we are being told 10 people or less indoors and only two households may gather. The defiant chirping I'm hearing in conjunction with the covid spike already in play tell me we have a rough road ahead.

So this year my wife, son and I are going to my mother-in-laws for Thanksgiving. My parents (High risk health wise)are staying home and my father-in-law who is a high risk non-believer has been traveling to see multiple family member in multiple states. Needless to say he has been told he will not be included due to his choices.

Back to topic, traditional turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and cranberry sauce. Maybe a little whiskey or tequila if the mood hits me...

• Like 6

It had been my mother-in-law's turn for Thanksgiving (we take turns each year at each other's mother's), but she's begged off, so it'll be me, Her Indoors, and the three kids, two of whom are home from where they live. Just the five of us.

We're having a turkey breast and gravy, mashed potatoes, corn (real garden-grown corn, which is practically candy), rolls, and I'll make candied yams (sweet potatoes) but I think I may be the only one who eats them. I bought a pre-fab pumpkin pie, but my younger daughter has announced she's in charge of dessert, and she doesn't like pumpkin pie, so she may make a Snickers dessert instead.

In case I forget to do it later, I continue to be thankful for the community that is this board. Fun topics, fun people (even when we disagree), and a great place to be reminded of the big wide world out there. Bless you all!

• Like 7

Just me, myself, and I. Picked up smaller amounts of some provisions today, enough for dinner and one night of leftovers. Got a lot of grins in the store. as I was wearing my WKRP 1st Annual Turkey Drop t-shirt. Probably won't start cooking until after the Lions beatdown. Then just a steady evening of football and Armagnac.
  • Like 6

Not my Thanksgiving, but I will be leaving work early to watch my Cowboys take over first place in the hugely competitive NFC East!!

Lol! It's all about Steelers-Ravens at 8 pm! I hope the turkey doesn't put me to sleep!

Other than that it will be just myself and my husband, for the first time ever on Thanksgiving. My kids all live in areas with travel bans (except for the one just diagnosed with flu across town.) My mom has decided it is safer to have it with 3 elderly neighbors. None of them ever really sees anyone else. We still have a 15 lb turkey for 2 :LOL: but we like leftovers.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 6

Not my Thanksgiving, but I will be leaving work early to watch my Cowboys take over first place in the hugely competitive NFC East!!

Lol! It's all about Steelers-Ravens at 8 pm! I hope the turkey doesn't put me to sleep!

Other than that it will be just myself and my husband, for the first time ever on Thanksgiving. My kids all live in areas with travel bans (except for the one just diagnosed with flu across town.) My mom has decided it is safer to have it with 3 elderly neighbors. None of them ever really sees anyone else. We still have a 15 lb turkey for 2 :LOL: but we like leftovers.

Turkey Salad sandwiches are good! Maybe with a Cream of Chicken soup! :)

• Like 3

Just me, myself, and I. Picked up smaller amounts of some provisions today, enough for dinner and one night of leftovers. Got a lot of grins in the store. as I was wearing my WKRP 1st Annual Turkey Drop t-shirt. Probably won't start cooking until after the Lions beatdown. Then just a steady evening of football and Armagnac.

If you lived closer, I'd invite you over.

• Like 2

It's really weird - I wonder how many people a year ago had even heard of the zoom application? Now the whole world uses it!!

Not quite. I never heard of it. And I'm grateful I haven't.

• Like 2

It had been my mother-in-law's turn for Thanksgiving (we take turns each year at each other's mother's), but she's begged off, so it'll be me, Her Indoors, and the three kids, two of whom are home from where they live. Just the five of us.

We're having a turkey breast and gravy, mashed potatoes, corn (real garden-grown corn, which is practically candy), rolls, and I'll make candied yams (sweet potatoes) but I think I may be the only one who eats them. I bought a pre-fab pumpkin pie, but my younger daughter has announced she's in charge of dessert, and she doesn't like pumpkin pie, so she may make a Snickers dessert instead.

In case I forget to do it later, I continue to be thankful for the community that is this board. Fun topics, fun people (even when we disagree), and a great place to be reminded of the big wide world out there. Bless you all!

That corn sounds fantastic! We didnt get out to get any to freeze this summer, boooooo

• Like 2

I brought a prime rib up from NV to my inlaws here in Oroville, WA. There will be six of us for dinner.

How far is Oroville from Post Falls?

5 hrs or so. It is up above Wenatchee and Omak.

The Similkameen River runs through it coming down from Canada.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I brought a prime rib up from NV to my inlaws here in Oroville, WA. There will be six of us for dinner.

Well, in any event, it is nice to know a fellow TRFer is so nearby. Helps keep whatever sanity I have left intact.

• Like 1

Well, in any event, it is nice to know a fellow TRFer is so nearby. Helps keep whatever sanity I have left intact.

My maternal Grandparents lived in Post Falls when I was growing up. In those days it was a town of about 7000 people and in my young days I-90 hadn't been completed through town. I used to walk down the road with my Grandmother to the neighbor that had a farm and help milk cows and pick raspberries, etc. It's now a subdivision. :(

My folks are still alive and live in the Spokane Valley which is where I grew up. Hell, they're still in the same house and have been since 1965. They're in their late 80s. I go over there all the time so often a TRFer nearby. :)

goose: been through Oroville several times over the last few years on my motorcycle travels. Last time I was there it was August summer before last and I'd been up riding through B.C. Stopped for a cold drink in O'ville and it was like 95 degrees.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 1