Borscht

Lorraine

I've never made it or even had it, which is strange because I love beets and my mother-in-law grows mountains of beets every year. The beets that aren't eaten fresh in the summer get canned, and they're lovely. Lorraine, you've got me thinking I might have to give making some borscht a try.
  • Like 2

I've never made it or even had it, which is strange because I love beets and my mother-in-law grows mountains of beets every year. The beets that aren't eaten fresh in the summer get canned, and they're lovely. Lorraine, you've got me thinking I might have to give making some borscht a try.

I bought some beets and dill weed this morning, What kind of potatoes should I use? I'm going to make the recipe I linked to. Maybe tomorrow. It's home-made soup kind of weather here in the Pacific Northwest.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

If you're reading what I said, too, Lorraine, I can't say that I have made, and ate "Borscht" before. If it is a food I want to try eating, I don't know.

We always have Borscht for Christmas, but we don't add potatoes to it because it mutes the taste. You could put in a hard-boiled egg after the soup is made, other than that, Borscht should be served by itself.
  • Like 1

We always have Borscht for Christmas, but we don't add potatoes to it because it mutes the taste. You could put in a hard-boiled egg after the soup is made, other than that, Borscht should be served by itself.

My mother used to make the soup and I remember those hard boiled eggs in it. My grandmother made it too. They used to grind their own horseradish as well. I remember my mother hanging out the back window for air so her eyes would stop tearing.

I love pickled beets, so I imagine I'd enjoy borscht as well.

img_4345-1.jpg

I like the red cabbage in that recipe because I love red cabbage. My mother always made that a lot too when I was little. Red cabbage, that is.

Doesn't that sour cream look good? :popcorn:

Edited by Lorraine

I love pickled beets, so I imagine I'd enjoy borscht as well.

img_4345-1.jpg

I like the red cabbage in that recipe because I love red cabbage. My mother always made that a lot too when I was little. Red cabbage, that is.

Doesn't that sour cream look good? :popcorn:

The sour cream? Yes.

And only the sour cream.

:bacon: