TS Eta.

pjbear05

Looks like we might get whacked by Tropical Storm Eta, and the neighborhood is not ready, youra truly included. The rain has been on and off yesterday and today, so you can't really prepare. Garbage and recyclable cans were emptied, but scheduled bulk pick up never happened, so a lot of people have bulk items lining the street, and no way to bring them back in. I'm inside now, waiting for the rain to subside, so I can try to get out and close things up. Storm could get really bad around 7 tomorrow morning. Will try to bunker down and ride it out. Cheers m8's.
  • Like 4

Thanks, everyone. I had enough breaks in the rain to get the storm shutters closed up and loose objects secured. Still raining on and off, the foot of the driveway and the depressed middle of the swale across the entire width of the property are flooded. The swale will likely be covered from street to sidewalk by morning. Not much wind as I write this but that will change later.
  • Like 1

Well the rain has mostly subsided for now. A bit of a breeze, but nothing significant. The sidewalk, swale, street, and sidewalk of neighbor across the street are entirely flooded and flowing down the street from East to West. I have a large downed tree branch on the lawn, and that's it-for now at least. Turning in, will reassess in the morning. Looks like we dodged another bullet, thank God!
  • Like 1

Well the rain has mostly subsided for now. A bit of a breeze, but nothing significant. The sidewalk, swale, street, and sidewalk of neighbor across the street are entirely flooded and flowing down the street from East to West. I have a large downed tree branch on the lawn, and that's it-for now at least. Turning in, will reassess in the morning. Looks like we dodged another bullet, thank God!

Sounds like some good news then. Glad it wasn't too bad for you.

Well, morning emerged with the river in front of my house still flowing, and a screen on my back screen porch pulled loose from its moorings, which was reattached. In most areas pumps are useless because there's no place to put the water. Our immediate area received 15 inches in the past 48 hours. No sense in my leaving the house and screwing up the car. I have enough provisions for a few days, so I'm good.

The river in front of the house finally disappeared, I was able to put the garbage can out to pick up trash and most of the downed tree branch. Then ventured out to Walgreens to pick up some subscriptions. While most of the residential streets are clear, a lot of the private parking lots are not, so driving in them is dicey.

Came back home, loaded Rocky into the car, and cruised the neighborhood. Most streets were clear with little bulk trash on the swales. Not sure if it all floated away or there actually was a bulk pick up Saturday, still no answers to that.

It appears as bad a "100 year flooding event" with Eta, and while it set I had no damage to the house, and never lost power. Eta back up to hurricane strength and about to take a shot at the Tampa Bay area. Stay safe folks!

• Like 1

The river in front of the house finally disappeared, I was able to put the garbage can out to pick up trash and most of the downed tree branch. Then ventured out to Walgreens to pick up some subscriptions. While most of the residential streets are clear, a lot of the private parking lots are not, so driving in them is dicey.

Came back home, loaded Rocky into the car, and cruised the neighborhood. Most streets were clear with little bulk trash on the swales. Not sure if it all floated away or there actually was a bulk pick up Saturday, still no answers to that.

It appears as bad a "100 year flooding event" with Eta, and while it set I had no damage to the house, and never lost power. Eta back up to hurricane strength and about to take a shot at the Tampa Bay area. Stay safe folks!

Glad you are ok ! Yeah, my sister lives in St. Pete Beach and they are getting whomped tonight. Worst part is she has a terrible toothache and is supposed to have a root canal tomorrow to help it. Fingers crossed she can go!

Edited by blueschica

Thanks, everyone. I had enough breaks in the rain to get the storm shutters closed up and loose objects secured. Still raining on and off, the foot of the driveway and the depressed middle of the swale across the entire width of the property are flooded. The swale will likely be covered from street to sidewalk by morning. Not much wind as I write this but that will change later.

What part of Florida are you in?

Northeast Fla, just south of JAX here and we got some rain but nothing much to speak of in terms of wind. It wasn't bad at all.

Northeast Fla, just south of JAX here and we got some rain but nothing much to speak of in terms of wind. It wasn't bad at all.

Saint Augustine?

West of Hollywood, FL, not far from the Turnpike. As I previously mentioned, we had a "hundred year flooding event". Worst street flooding I had witnessed in 33 years down here.

Saint Augustine?

Half way in between Jax and St Augustine. Edited by thesweetscience

Saint Augustine?

Half way in between Jax and St Augustine.

Ah. That’s very near one of my bros. If not exactly the same spot

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Saint Augustine?

Well if we are ever allowed to travel again and you're in the area, shoot me a text and I'll buy you a drink.

Edited by thesweetscience
  • Like 1

Saint Augustine?

Well if we are ever allowed to travel again and you're in the area, shoot me a text and I'll buy you a drink.

:cheers:

Most of the Blaze clan is in Jax so yeah, whenever I hit the states (about once every 2-3 years) i always go there.

I like Saint Augustine quite a bit so I like hitting that town any chance I get.

Saint Augustine?

Most of the Blaze clan is in Jax so yeah, whenever I hit the states (about once every 2-3 years) i always go there.

I like Saint Augustine quite a bit so I like hitting that town any chance I get.

Its a cute little area with lots of good restaurants and shopping. That's why we moved here.

Saint Augustine?

Its a cute little area with lots of good restaurants and shopping. That's why we moved here.

I like St. Augustine, and it was probably Karen's favorite Florida town. We did a number of 2-3 day stays there, just walking through Old Town, along with eating and drinking. With luck I'll get back up there, after family trips to MI and AZ.

Saint Augustine?

I like St. Augustine, and it was probably Karen's favorite Florida town. We did a number of 2-3 day stays there, just walking through Old Town, along with eating and drinking. With luck I'll get back up there, after family trips to MI and AZ.

It IS my favorite town in Florida. Couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve been there.

I remember the days when Castillo de San Marcos always had a water-filled moat. I know that it was originally dry BUT in the 70s and 80s it always was filled. Anytime I’ve gone in the last several years it was dry. The cobblestone area with all the shops and restaurants used to be pretty empty but it was still a pretty cool area to go for a stroll. It’s been much more lively the last several years but I don’t think it’s been overwhelming in any way.

• Like 1

Saint Augustine?

It IS my favorite town in Florida. Couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve been there.

I remember the days when Castillo de San Marcos always had a water-filled moat. I know that it was originally dry BUT in the 70s and 80s it always was filled. Anytime I’ve gone in the last several years it was dry. The cobblestone area with all the shops and restaurants used to be pretty empty but it was still a pretty cool area to go for a stroll. It’s been much more lively the last several years but I don’t think it’s been overwhelming in any way.

Its always just crowded enough to seem relevant but not so crowded as to be annoying. Lots of really nice beaches close too that are never that crowded. Edited by thesweetscience