Limelight: Rush in the '80s

Rod in Toronto

The prolific biographer and fellow Torontonian Martin Popoff has released today part 2 of his Rush trilogy. Entitled "Limeligh: Rush in the '80s", it's the sequel of "Anthem: Rush in the '70's", and will be followed by "Driven: Rush in the '90s and beyond". Here's my review of the book:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/limelight-rush-in-the-80s/

• Like 4

I have not read the first of these volumes but I am considering purchasing both volumes - I can get them on Amazon. They look like good reads and worthwhile reference material.
  • Like 1

I have not read the first of these volumes but I am considering purchasing both volumes - I can get them on Amazon. They look like good reads and worthwhile reference material.

They're both chockful of facts I didn't know about the band, and there's also stuff I knew, but it's tactfully addressed by the author so as to not seem redundant for long time fans like us. And he talks about each and every song they released!

• Like 2

They're both chockful of facts I didn't know about the band, and there's also stuff I knew, but it's tactfully addressed by the author so as to not seem redundant for long time fans like us. And he talks about each and every song they released!

I've just 'negotiated' a deal with my missus ...... If I buy the first volume, she will buy me the second volume as a Christmas present! (according to Amazon UK it will be released in two days time.)

The downside is that I will not get my hands on it until Christmas but it gives me plenty of time to read and digest volume one!

• Like 3

As always with Popoff: great info/quotes/interviews, atrocious writing. Wish it was presented as an oral history.

Yeah, great point. It is already essentially an oral history, with long quotes strung together with a few transition pieces. It would be more honest to just go full "oral history." If the second one is like the first one, some more editing of redundant stories would be welcome, too.

I'll read this, because I'll read them all, but my expectations are tempered.

• Like 1

As always with Popoff: great info/quotes/interviews, atrocious writing. Wish it was presented as an oral history.

Yeah, great point. It is already essentially an oral history, with long quotes strung together with a few transition pieces. It would be more honest to just go full "oral history." If the second one is like the first one, some more editing of redundant stories would be welcome, too.

I agree - Popoff does have a certain enthusiastic style in his earlier books, and it still shows up from time to time, but he's gotten pretty lazy as a writer, mostly just stringing quotations together. I agree that there's some redundancy. I wouldn't mind knowing, also, when some of these interviews were conducted.

• Like 2

I agree - Popoff does have a certain enthusiastic style in his earlier books, and it still shows up from time to time, but he's gotten pretty lazy as a writer, mostly just stringing quotations together. I agree that there's some redundancy. I wouldn't mind knowing, also, when some of these interviews were conducted.

Many of them were done when h collaborated with the making of Beyond the Lighted Stage.

• Like 3

The Rush in the '80s book arrived today. As it is a Christmas present, it was promptly taken, unopened, out of my possession and 'squirreled' away! I Guess I shall have to wait until 25th December !!!
  • Like 2

Have to figure nothing new in the last five years and I'd guess a major portion is just recycled. I think the only new bits, and they aren't recent, are previously unpublished from around the time of Beyond The Lighted Stage.

I've held off on these but I might get them at some point down the road maybe for no other reason than I have the rest of his Rush books.

Have to figure nothing new in the last five years and I'd guess a major portion is just recycled. I think the only new bits, and they aren't recent, are previously unpublished from around the time of Beyond The Lighted Stage.

I've held off on these but I might get them at some point down the road maybe for no other reason than I have the rest of his Rush books.

• Like 2

I was thinking of purchasing the 'Wandering The Face Of The Earth' book. Can any of you guys recommend it?
  • Like 1

I was thinking of purchasing the 'Wandering The Face Of The Earth' book. Can any of you guys recommend it?

Yes, that book I can recommend, just for the cool pictures and the thoroughness of the history. It's probably not the kind of thing you'll pick up and spend an evening reading, but to dip in and out of it is quite nice and useful. It is a bit of an investment, but as it can also double as a heavy concrete slab, you might find extra uses for it.

• Like 3