Joe Morgan (1943-2020) - Big Red Machine Powerhouse!

Principled Man

I'd rank him as the #1 2nd basemen of modern times anyway and I grew up in Spokane which is where Ryne Sandberg is from so that tells you how highly I thought of Morgan.

God just fukk off 2020, seriously.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this. He should be missed. My condolences, to his family, and friends. R.I.P., Joe.

I'd rank him as the #1 2nd basemen of modern times anyway and I grew up in Spokane which is where Ryne Sandberg is from so that tells you how highly I thought of Morgan.

He was one of the best, most complete players ever. Hitting for average, hitting with power, great base stealer, and great fielding.

His super years with the Reds came after nine years with the Astros. Twenty-two years in MLB. I believe that he would have stayed with the Reds until retirement, but when the Reds fired Sparky Anderson, Joe walked away. The players loved Sparky so much.

• Like 1

He was one of the best, most complete players ever. Hitting for average, hitting with power, great base stealer, and great fielding.

His super years with the Reds came after nine years with the Astros. Twenty-two years in MLB. I believe that he would have stayed with the Reds until retirement, but when the Reds fired Sparky Anderson, Joe walked away. The players loved Sparky so much.

Well actually his 1st year was with the Colt .45s :)

Joe wasn’t just the best second baseman in baseball history, he was the best player I ever saw and one of the best people I’ve ever known.

-- Johnny Bench

• Like 1

A quote from Joe......""I take my vote as a salute to the little guy, the one who doesn't hit five-hundred home runs. I was one of the guys that did all they could to win. I'm proud of my stats, but I don't think I ever got on for Joe Morgan. If I stole a base, it was to help us win a game, and I like to think that's what made me special." Source: Hall of Fame Induction Day Speech"

:ebert:

He was so great !

• Like 3

Had lots of fun watching him and the rest of the Big Red Machine in the 70s. And I'm grateful that they let the Detroit Tigers have Sparky Anderson so we could win the Series in '84!
  • Like 1

A quote from Joe......""I take my vote as a salute to the little guy, the one who doesn't hit five-hundred home runs....”

If he had played his entire career with the Reds, he would have. :)