• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2849 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:14 AM

Both Neil and Eddie started out taking piano lessons.

For Eddie the piano lessons would be beneficial for him later on, whereas with Neil he comments in his instructional video A Work in Progress that they didn't have much impact on him.

Neil then switched to playing drums, which he stayed with throughout his entire career until he retired.

Eddie acquired a set of drums, and Alex played guitar. Then they switched instruments and the rest is history.

Eddie and Neil were both introverts.

Although RUSH and Van Halen never toured together, Neil said that he learned about 'character studies' from the bands they opened for about what not to do. Van Halen is a 'character study' of how to avoid excess.

RUSH would never try to purposely put on a bad show for the fans. However the Van Halen - Summer Tour of 2004 was a different story.

A comment from Pegi Cecconi here about both bands.

“I always thought of Rush as our children, as opposed to Van Halen, who were adopted,” Cecconi admits. “And the bigger they are, the more you have to take care of them.  Because Ray (Danniels) would spend one week a month in L.A., just babysitting them. Whereas Rush – if you never showed up – they’d prefer it. With Rush, you turn on the key, rev up the engine and ,they ran it themselves. It was beautiful."

RUSH has never had constant revolving band members, whereas Van Halen has.

Neil never threw his fellow band mates under the bus like Eddie did.

Edited by RushFanForever, 20 October 2020 - 08:56 AM.

Sponsored Post

#62 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2302 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, TV and films, Nature, Art/art history, US politics, Football (soccer) and most sports, Non-fiction, Not going out, Cats (especially black and white tuxedo cats)

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:10 PM

View PostRushFanForever, on 20 October 2020 - 12:14 AM, said:

Both Neil and Eddie started out taking piano lessons.

For Eddie the piano lessons would be beneficial for him later on, whereas with Neil he comments in his instructional video A Work in Progress that they didn't have much impact on him.

Neil then switched to playing drums, which he stayed with throughout his entire career until he retired.

Eddie acquired a set of drums, and Alex played guitar. Then they switched instruments and the rest is history.

Eddie and Neil were both introverts.

Although RUSH and Van Halen never toured together, Neil said that he learned about 'character studies' from the bands they opened for about what not to do. Van Halen is a 'character study' of how to avoid excess.

RUSH would never try to purposely put on a bad show for the fans. However the Van Halen - Summer Tour of 2004 was a different story.

A comment from Pegi Cecconi here about both bands.

“I always thought of Rush as our children, as opposed to Van Halen, who were adopted,” Cecconi admits. “And the bigger they are, the more you have to take care of them.  Because Ray (Danniels) would spend one week a month in L.A., just babysitting them. Whereas Rush – if you never showed up – they’d prefer it. With Rush, you turn on the key, rev up the engine and ,they ran it themselves. It was beautiful."

RUSH has never had constant revolving band members, whereas Van Halen has.

Neil never threw his fellow band mates under the bus like Eddie did.
There`s a lot of truth in this, but... if I were Eddie I might just feel that I`d made a lot of money for some guys that didn`t contribute as much as me.  Eddie`s obligation was to make music, and he happened to be a genius, not to be a great guy. Rush had a better balance of power in terms of skills and contributions in addition to not having constant substance abuse issues since childhood.  It`s not just Eddie either - it was Eddie and Alex. You would always be against at least 50% of the band if there was a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users