Jump to content


Eddie Van Halen and Neil Peart - Compare/Contrast


  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1370 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 October 2020 - 05:14 PM

I'm sure many of us have been thinking of both of these heroes.

There are a lot of connections between the Rush and Van Halen camps. They shared the same manager at one point. Alex used EVH's 5150 amps.

But I'm thinking a lot about EVH and NP's distinct personalities - their similiarities, and the almost strange polar differences.

I don't really want to blow the wad and list so many, but I'm wondering what the Forum thinks.



Both were considered the greatest in their field. And we probably responsible for 80% of their bands record and ticket sales.


Both revolutionized their instrument, and kickstarted a generational obssession with guitars and drums.


But there are specific personality traits that jumped at me. Where they came from - where they were born. Their relationships. Their kids...


Any thoughts?

Sponsored Post

#2 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2315 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northampton England
  • Interests:Guitars, TV and films, Nature, Art/art history, US politics, Football (soccer) and most sports, Non-fiction, Not going out, Cats (especially black and white tuxedo cats)

Posted 08 October 2020 - 05:26 PM

It`s hard not to seem like I`m disrespecting Alex and Geddy, but for me it`s Neil`s lyrics and astonishing drums that make Rush not just different, but truly great. Eddie is the reason I love VH (and I`m a huge fan of DLR), but Eddie is truly what sets them apart from so many others.  In the same way that I don`t think anyone else could have created Mean Street, nobody else could have written Natural Science.  I don`t know how many rock bands have existed over time, but for me, Rush and VH are on another level due to these two true perfectionists. They were the best at what they did... I feel privileged to have their music.

#3 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 35354 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 October 2020 - 05:32 PM

I guess when you reach such greatness in whatever field, there are bound to be similarities with other giants. The similarities increase because they were both rock musicians.

#4 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1370 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 October 2020 - 05:46 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 08 October 2020 - 05:32 PM, said:

I guess when you reach such greatness in whatever field, there are bound to be similarities with other giants. The similarities increase because they were both rock musicians.

EVH lived for the stage though.

NP tolerated it - loved being on the motorcycle.

Both very uncomfortable with fame.

Both loved to be in their own little worlds - EVH - the studio. NP- the bike.

Edited by chemistry1973, 08 October 2020 - 05:47 PM.


#5 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2856 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 08 October 2020 - 06:30 PM

During the Roth era, an incident happened between Geddy Lee and Eddie Van Halen here.

#6 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5567 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 08 October 2020 - 06:57 PM

5150 studio tour from 1998

https://www.youtube....h?v=WpzyxHnN7HM

#7 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 95504 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 08 October 2020 - 07:11 PM

View PostRushFanForever, on 08 October 2020 - 06:30 PM, said:

During the Roth era, an incident happened between Geddy Lee and Eddie Van Halen here.
That's funny actually. :lol:

#8 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 10458 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:05 PM

View PostRushFanForever, on 08 October 2020 - 06:30 PM, said:

During the Roth era, an incident happened between Geddy Lee and Eddie Van Halen here.

That is not the usual Rush story, lol. I guess it take a band as legendary (on stage and back stage) as Van Halen to get even Geddy Lee out of character.

#9 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 38761 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:06 PM

I can't compare and contrast them.  My two all time favorite musicians are gone in the same year!    Heartbreaking.

#10 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 95504 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:27 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 October 2020 - 09:06 PM, said:

I can't compare and contrast them.  My two all time favorite musicians are gone in the same year! Heartbreaking.
At least Keef Richards is still around Earl your number 3 rock star!

#11 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 38761 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:36 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 08 October 2020 - 09:27 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 October 2020 - 09:06 PM, said:

I can't compare and contrast them.  My two all time favorite musicians are gone in the same year! Heartbreaking.
At least Keef Richards is still around Earl your number 3 rock star!

I rather watch Kiefer Sutherland's dad in "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers."  

I did buy the deluxe box set of "Let It Bleed."  It's awesome.

#12 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 95504 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:40 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 October 2020 - 09:36 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 08 October 2020 - 09:27 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 October 2020 - 09:06 PM, said:

I can't compare and contrast them.  My two all time favorite musicians are gone in the same year! Heartbreaking.
At least Keef Richards is still around Earl your number 3 rock star!

I rather watch Kiefer Sutherland's dad in "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers."  

I did buy the deluxe box set of "Let It Bleed."  It's awesome.
I bet you own all the Keef guitar replicas!

#13 GeminiRising79

GeminiRising79

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2752 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DC area

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:54 PM

View PostRushFanForever, on 08 October 2020 - 06:30 PM, said:

During the Roth era, an incident happened between Geddy Lee and Eddie Van Halen here.

Funny. One of the guys who was with me when meeting Rush (May of '81) asked them about the VH feud. Alex replied that they're @ssholes.

Edited by GeminiRising79, 08 October 2020 - 09:59 PM.


#14 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 51349 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 08 October 2020 - 10:24 PM

View PostGeminiRising79, on 08 October 2020 - 09:54 PM, said:

View PostRushFanForever, on 08 October 2020 - 06:30 PM, said:

During the Roth era, an incident happened between Geddy Lee and Eddie Van Halen here.

Funny. One of the guys who was with me when meeting Rush (May of '81) asked them about the VH feud. Alex replied that they're @ssholes.
Eddie did have a rep for being a jerk.

Neither he nor Neil would have won any Dale Carnegie Contests.

#15 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 38761 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 09 October 2020 - 12:10 AM

View PostLorraine, on 08 October 2020 - 10:24 PM, said:

View PostGeminiRising79, on 08 October 2020 - 09:54 PM, said:

View PostRushFanForever, on 08 October 2020 - 06:30 PM, said:

During the Roth era, an incident happened between Geddy Lee and Eddie Van Halen here.

Funny. One of the guys who was with me when meeting Rush (May of '81) asked them about the VH feud. Alex replied that they're @ssholes.
Eddie did have a rep for being a jerk.

Neither he nor Neil would have won any Dale Carnegie Contests.

I only know good stories about Eddie.

A few of my best friends met Eddie back in the early 80's.

My buddy Dan who I used to go to shows with every month was in LA for a gig.  Saw Eddie and his brother get into a limo.
He "JUMPed" lol into his car and followed the limo to the Beverley Hills Hotel.

So my best buddy Dan had a satin Van Halen baseball jacket.  It was signed by Dave, Michael and Alex that night backstage.  Dan had backstage passes to everything and free tickets.  He was a writer for a local newspaper and did interviews and wrote reviews.

Anyway, he walks into the lobby.  Security is everywhere.   Eddie is there with a few friends.   Dan walks up to Eddie.  Security stops him.  Dan says,  "hey I'm Dan Wall I was just backstage with the band but I missed Eddie.  Is it cool if I get Eddie to sign my jacket?

Eddie came up to my buddy and said.... "hey guys back off!   No worries dude, I'll sign your jacket."   They talked for about ten minutes and Dan took off.   Eddie was very nice to him!!!!

#16 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 38761 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 09 October 2020 - 12:10 AM

View Posttreeduck, on 08 October 2020 - 09:40 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 October 2020 - 09:36 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 08 October 2020 - 09:27 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 October 2020 - 09:06 PM, said:

I can't compare and contrast them.  My two all time favorite musicians are gone in the same year! Heartbreaking.
At least Keef Richards is still around Earl your number 3 rock star!

I rather watch Kiefer Sutherland's dad in "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers."  

I did buy the deluxe box set of "Let It Bleed."  It's awesome.
I bet you own all the Keef guitar replicas!


No Pat.  I own no Keith guitars.

I do own five Eddie replicas.

#17 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 38761 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 09 October 2020 - 12:12 AM

I saw Rush and Van Halen for the first time in my life.  Both in 1984.  Both at the Cow Palace.

Now Neil and Eddie are gone.

It makes me sooooooooooo sad.

Time truly does fly.  Even though in reality sometimes the clock seems slow.

Weird.

#18 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 95504 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 09 October 2020 - 12:42 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 09 October 2020 - 12:10 AM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 08 October 2020 - 09:40 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 October 2020 - 09:36 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 08 October 2020 - 09:27 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 October 2020 - 09:06 PM, said:

I can't compare and contrast them.  My two all time favorite musicians are gone in the same year! Heartbreaking.
At least Keef Richards is still around Earl your number 3 rock star!

I rather watch Kiefer Sutherland's dad in "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers."  

I did buy the deluxe box set of "Let It Bleed."  It's awesome.
I bet you own all the Keef guitar replicas!


No Pat.  I own no Keith guitars.

I do own five Eddie replicas.
Are they all the red, white and black Frankenstrat? Or have you got one that looks like that blue Charvel from the Van Halen II photoshoot?

#19 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 95504 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 09 October 2020 - 12:43 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 09 October 2020 - 12:12 AM, said:

I saw Rush and Van Halen for the first time in my life.  Both in 1984.  Both at the Cow Palace.

Now Neil and Eddie are gone.

It makes me sooooooooooo sad.

Time truly does fly.  Even though in reality sometimes the clock seems slow.

Weird.
Mine were 1983 (RUSH) and 1984 (Van Halen).

#20 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 95504 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 09 October 2020 - 12:49 AM

Not a Cow Palace though, mine were at a race track and an exhibition centre!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users