Vapor Trails Songs - Original VS Remix

ST3V

2002 MIX VS 2013 REMIX  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What songs do you prefer from the 2002 Original Album?

• One Little Victory
    • Ceiling Unlimited
    • Ghost Rider
    • Peaceable Kingdom
    • The Stars Look Down
    • How It Is
    • Vapor Trail
    • Secret Touch
    • Earthshine
    • Sweet Miracle
    • Nocturne
    • Freeze (Part IV of "Fear")
    • Out Of The Cradle
    • ALL OF THEM! THE ORIGINAL RULES!
    • NONE OF THEM! THE ORIGINAL ALBUM IS NOT ALLOWED NEAR ME!
  2. 2. What songs do you prefer from the 2013 Remix?

• One Little Victory
    • Ceiling Unlimited
    • Ghost Rider
    • Peaceable Kingdom
    • The Stars Look Down
    • How It Is
    • Vapor Trail
    • Secret Touch
    • Earthshine
    • Sweet Miracle
    • Nocturne
    • Freeze (Part IV of "Fear")
    • Out Of The Cradle
    • ALL OF THEM! THIS BLOWS THE ORIGINAL OUT OF THE WATER!
    • NONE OF THEM! THE REMIX RUINS THE MAGIC!

Most people like the remix better then the original mix, but some of those people enjoy only a select few songs from the original a little better, or vice versa obviously. It's time to see if any of the songs from the Original are voted as better than their Remixed versions...

Personally, I prefer the Original Mix, with the exception of Sweet Miracle and How It Is. I recently listened to the remix again, and I really got into the remixed version of How It Is. I still see this song as the weakest one on the album, (so that tells you how great this album is!). I didn't really like the song before but the remix has given me a newfound appreciation for it. The lyrics are great!

• Like 1

Most people like the remix better then the original mix, but some of those people enjoy only a select few songs from the original a little better, or vice versa obviously. It's time to see if any of the songs from the Original are voted as better than their Remixed versions...

Personally, I prefer the Original Mix, with the exception of Sweet Miracle and How It Is. I recently listened to the remix again, and I really got into the remixed version of How It Is. I still see this song as the weakest one on the album, (so that tells you how great this album is!). I didn't really like the song before but the remix has given me a newfound appreciation for it. The lyrics are great!

Totally - 'How it Is' really comes alive in the remix.

Simply put, I prefer the remix because it doesn't hurt my ears. Kinda basic, production 101: don't physically assault the listener.

• Like 1

A very divisive topic this. For me personally I found the complete brickwalling of every track on the original album unpleasant and made listening pretty hard work.

Overall, the remix is an improvement to the sound dynamics. Doesn't improve the songs mind you!

• Like 1

I prefer all the songs on the original mix. The remix seemed like a good idea but when I heard it I was very disappointed. The remix took all the balls out of it and left a very hollow sounding record and didn't really help any of the songs, just weakened them all.
  • Like 4

I prefer all the songs on the original mix. The remix seemed like a good idea but when I heard it I was very disappointed. The remix took all the balls out of it and left a very hollow sounding record and didn't really help any of the songs, just weakened them all.

Agreed

• Like 1

I would rather have an official remaster version of Vapor Trails

There was one - and you can probably find it, but it disappeared when the remix was released.

I believe it was a Van Dette remaster.

Never got the chance to hear it

I got a huge headache every time I listened to the original Vapor Trails. Could not enjoy it at all! It was my least favorite Rush record just because of that. And then I got the remixed version. It was like a new Rush record! And now it is one of my favorite Rush records! It's funny, I listened to it just earlier today in the car, and no song is bad, they all kick ass!
  • Like 4

Personally I don't think its hollow sounding. It is a little clearer but.. too clear.. if that makes sense. But yes, all the punch that the original had seems to have been sacrificed for more popping bass lines and tamer guitars on the remix.

Personally I don't think its hollow sounding. It is a little clearer but.. too clear.. if that makes sense. But yes, all the punch that the original had seems to have been sacrificed for more popping bass lines and tamer guitars on the remix.

Also although the vocals are clearer they don't work as well when all the distortion is stripped away. They should have used acoustic guitars for those jam sessions so these songs don't rely on distortion to support them and hide weaknesses, with acoustic jam sessions the songs would have had to be stronger or they would have been dropped.

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 1

I agree with this producer. At a certain point in this analysis he says "this isn't jamming, this is worked out" and this is what RUSH weren't doing on the final three albums. They were jamming, not working it out.

Even though this was done before, since "Vapor Trails (Remixed)" was released in 2013, I've preferred that a lot more, than what was released in 2002. Edited by Derek19

I prefer the raw slab of sound of the original VT, but I turn it off after Earthshine.

The remix gave more breathing room to the songs, although I still prefer the claustrophobic mix (except for the last few tunes). The remix is better for driving. I found the remix really opened "Freeze" up so that you could better hear all the goodness that's going on in that tune.

Not a fan of Ghost Rider or Sweet Miracle, so those are skipped every time, original or remix. Just not a fan. Ghost Rider seems over-arranged, and Sweet Miracle seems kinda whiny. My opinion only, so don't get your knickers in a knot. ;)

Not a fan of Ghost Rider or Sweet Miracle

bruh, those are some of my faves on the album

Yeah, it seems a few people here like those two tunes. Not my cup of dish, to quote Lawrence "Don't f***ing call me Larry!" Welk.

I think my faves on the album would be Secret Touch, Earthshine, Ceiling Unlimited, and How It Is. Excellent stuff. For me, VT has some of NP's best lyrics. Suck it, Red Barchetta! :P

"f***in' air cars..." - Ricky, Sunnyvale.

• Like 1

Simply put, I prefer the remix because it doesn't hurt my ears. Kinda basic, production 101: don't physically assault the listener.

How It Is ...

probably the only song that got improved in the remix

• Like 2

Yeah, it seems a few people here like those two tunes. Not my cup of dish, to quote Lawrence "Don't f***ing call me Larry!" Welk.

I think my faves on the album would be Secret Touch, Earthshine, Ceiling Unlimited, and How It Is. Excellent stuff. For me, VT has some of NP's best lyrics. Suck it, Red Barchetta! :P

My best off VT are Earthshine, Ghost Rider, and Vapor Trail.

Got to love these guys:

http://youtu.be/FcpqLgAV7iQ

• Like 1

I agree - the lyrics on VT are really excellent.

• Like 3

How It Is ...

probably the only song that got improved in the remix

I feel the exact same way. Maybe because its the least heaviest song?