Make an 10 song album from the Synth-era albums to make your ultimate Synth-era Rush album

treeduck

1. Distant Early Warning

2. Subdivisions

3. The Analog Kid

4. Manhattan Project

5. Marathon

6. Force Ten

7. Prime Mover

8. Territories

9. Digital Man

10. Second Nature

I did sacrifice some songs like The Big Money, Red Sector A, Time Stand Still for album flow purposes.

I'm on the fence about whether Signals is actually a synth era album. It certainly has more keyboards than any album previous but to me it's more of a transition album between the classic era (ending with MP) and the synth era, which to me starts with GUP...I think.

I know, it's kind of a separate topic, and maybe it's even been done before on this board, but I don't want to make my list until I decide where Signals sits.

• Like 3

I'm on the fence about whether Signals is actually a synth era album. It certainly has more keyboards than any album previous but to me it's more of a transition album between the classic era (ending with MP) and the synth era, which to me starts with GUP...I think.

I know, it's kind of a separate topic, and maybe it's even been done before on this board, but I don't want to make my list until I decide where Signals sits.

It's in there.

• Like 1

Alex even said himself that the guitar was too much in the background on Signals and the keyboards took over in some spots, which is what he wanted to change for P/G. There are definitely more guitars on P/G than on Signals

A few would make my era-specific list any day, some are here only in the now. For my list, songs off of non-synth era albums count if they could have been on a synth era album.

Those always present, in no order:

Prime Mover

Territories

Kid Gloves

The Enemy Within

The Analog Kid

Vital Signs

Those that are shuffling in today:

Countdown

The Weapon

Middletown Dreams

Manhattan Project

Those that sometimes appear:

Lock and Key

High Water

Force Ten

Grand Designs

The Body Electric

Subdivisions

Digital Man

Subdivisions

The Big Money

Distant Early Warning

Emotion Detector

Chemistry

Lock and Key

The Weapon

Red Sector A

Manhattan Project

Countdown

I'm shocked you left out New World Man and The Analog Kid Mike! The Kid and NW Man are human beings, you must show pity! :huh:

• Like 1

Vital Signs

Subdivisions

Red Sector A

The Body Electric

Grand Designs

Marathon

Prime Mover

Middletown Dreams

Mystic Rhythms

Mission

Bonus Track:

Turn The Page

Bonus Track! :16ton:

Its an old fashioned easter egg. While listening to Mystic Rhythms you make yourself a rye based manhattan the track shows up on your playlist. :)

• Like 1

Vital Signs

Subdivisions

Red Sector A

The Body Electric

Grand Designs

Marathon

Prime Mover

Middletown Dreams

Mystic Rhythms

Mission

Bonus Track:

Turn The Page

Bonus Track! :16ton:

Its an old fashioned easter egg. While listening to Mystic Rhythms you make yourself a rye based manhattan the track shows up on your playlist. :)

Actually that's my favourite track on HYF so it's a good bonus track to have. And for me easter eggs are high tech and new fangled! :LOL:

• Like 1

This was a different thread somewhere.

Subdivisions

The Analog Kid

The Weapon

Red Sector A

Afterimage

Mystic Rhythms

Time Stand Still

Open Secrets

Lock and Key

Turn the Page

I like Signals and HYF very much...

Alex even said himself that the guitar was too much in the background on Signals and the keyboards took over in some spots, which is what he wanted to change for P/G. There are definitely more guitars on P/G than on Signals

Yes, the guitars were more upfront in the mix on GUP, but it also has more songs centered around keyboards -- at the expense of the bass guitar. Distant Early Warning, The Body Electric, Red Lenses and Between the Wheels -- Geddy plays significant sections of those songs on the keyboard and not playing the bass, while Afterimage and Red Sector A are all keys and no bass. Geddy doesn't even bother to wear his bass for those songs -- Signals doesn't have any songs like that. I seem to recall one of the band members calling Signals "the last good mix of keys and guitar."

The guitar starts to disappear more on Power Windows, and HYF sees Alex fighting to be heard behind a wall of "adult contemporary radio" synths. So with all that, I'm still having trouble calling Signals a synth era album, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

• Like 2

Yes, the guitars were more upfront in the mix on GUP, but it also has more songs centered around keyboards -- at the expense of the bass guitar. Distant Early Warning, The Body Electric, Red Lenses and Between the Wheels -- Geddy plays significant sections of those songs on the keyboard and not playing the bass, while Afterimage and Red Sector A are all keys and no bass. Geddy doesn't even bother to wear his bass for those songs -- Signals doesn't have any songs like that. I seem to recall one of the band members calling Signals "the last good mix of keys and guitar."

The guitar starts to disappear more on Power Windows, and HYF sees Alex fighting to be heard behind a wall of "adult contemporary radio" synths. So with all that, I'm still having trouble calling Signals a synth era album, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

Valid points.... interesting.

Yeah, the integration of keys with guitar was purrrrfect on MP and Signals.

Then Ged and Alex started seeing things differently. Neil was the only one really pulling his weight on Power Windows, for example.

The two frontmen didn't seem to recover a consistent balance until the Rupert Hine era.

Edited by Weatherman

You're overthinking it. Some synth era albums were more artistically successful (Signals), while others were less so (PW).

For me the synth era truly begins with Subdivisions and ends with High Water. Not that synths weren't a major part of MP, PeW, Presto, and RTB, but Rush were never more keyboard centric than Signals through HYF. So here's ten songs to get someone into the synth quartet:

Side 1:

Subdivisions

The Big Money

Time Stand Still

Red Sector A

Marathon

Side 2:

Distant Early Warning

The Analog Kid

Force Ten

Losing It

Between The Wheels

(hidden CD track New World Man)

• Like 1

You're overthinking it. Some synth era albums were more artistically successful (Signals), while others were less so (PW).

Okay, I'll make a compromise for my list. The only songs I'll include from Signals are the really synth-y ones. Or, just one of them. Easier to keep it totallly synth-tastic that way, too.

Subdivisions

Distant Early Warning

Afterimage

Between the Wheels

Grand Designs

Marathon

Emotion Detector

Open Secrets

Lock and Key

Mission

(Hidden CD track - The Big Money)

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
  • Like 1

Well..... it is chucking it down with rain here .... so this will give me something to think about for the next couple of hours.

Subdivisions

Analog Kid

New World Man

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

The Big Money

Marathon

Middletown Dreams

Time Stand Still

Turn The Page

Bonus: Chemistry

Here is a ten song one of mine.

Force Ten

Mystic Rhythms

Kid Gloves

Digital Man

Middletown Dreams

Between the Wheels

Countdown

Mission

Marathon

Red Sector A

(Bonus song: Subdivisions) If it was twelve songs instead of ten, then somewhere, I would've included the songs "Open Secrets", and "Second Nature", too.