Jump to content


Make an 10 song album from the Synth-era albums to make your ultimate Synth-era Rush album

to hell with goodhell RUSH Signals Hold Your Fire Power Windows Grace Under Pressure Elwood Peart Alex Zivo Gary Lee Winerib

  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 95504 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 30 September 2020 - 04:34 PM

YANKS records became Power Cuts in the 90's. Nowadays it's a gym owned by one of those Dragon's Den guys, Duncan Bannatyne.

Sponsored Post

#42 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 95504 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 30 September 2020 - 04:38 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 30 September 2020 - 04:33 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 September 2020 - 04:29 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 30 September 2020 - 04:17 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 September 2020 - 04:08 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 30 September 2020 - 04:03 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 29 September 2020 - 09:40 PM, said:

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 29 September 2020 - 09:35 PM, said:

I'm on the fence about whether Signals is actually a synth era album. It certainly has more keyboards than any album previous but to me it's more of a transition album between the classic era (ending with MP) and the synth era, which to me starts with GUP...I think.

I know, it's kind of a separate topic, and maybe it's even been done before on this board, but I don't want to make my list until I decide where Signals sits.
It's in there.

I agree Pat.  I remember racing to Rainbow Records in Walnut Creek to get the "Signals" cassette on new release day.
I raced home in glee and anticipation.
I put that cassette on my old Pioneer stereo.   "Subdivions" ended and I thought to myself, where the fuckk is Alex?   After listening to "Signals" all the way through for the first time I was sooooooo upset.
I almost teared up in disappointment.  I wanted to take the cassette out of my tape deck and launch it into the street.  I thought it was all keyboard synth.  I couldn't believe my young sad ears at the time.

Of course I grew to love the record but I remember I was in complete shock hearing all that synth!!!!  Killed me!!!!!
Do you still visit Rainbow records Earl? I can't remember where I got Signals from. Back in 1982 though there were some great local record shops in my home town, Circus Records and Royal Records were the two best ones, these and all the other record shops have sadly vanished long ago.

It took me a while to get used to it. I was all good by the time I saw RUSH at Birmingham NEC which was over six months later in May 1983.

What happened to your old Pioneer stereo? Could you somehow try and find it again on some trash heap and recreate the good old 80's days??

OMG!!! Pat!!!!

I am so sad.  I am still near Walnut Creek and there are NO record stores here now!!!  Breaks my heart.  We have Rasputin Records still in Pleasant Hill.  I still keep that one going!  Lol!!!
Then we have Amoeba Records in Berkeley but they have been closed since March thanks to Covid.  

Pat!!!

When I was a kid I lived in Record Store Mecca!!!


This is why I never ate lunch at school and saved my lunch money so I could buy records and cassettes almost everyday.  I had an allowance too.  I was very lucky!  Hence this is why I am still a CD addict today.

We had these stores Pat in Walnut Creek and I would bike to them daily......


Rainbow Records
Banana Records
Record Factory
Music Town
Record Exchange!  My Favorite.

Record Exchange is where I met RATT on their EP in store.  Met Queensryche there too with their EP in store.  Also the young Sebastion Bach always shopped in that store during the summer when he would stay with his grandma.  I am sure I crossed paths with Bach when we were kids!!!!

Amazing memories Pat!!!!!
I discovered a bunch of new record shops when I branched out a bit to Manchester in 1983. There was a place called YANKS which had all the US imports plus a ton of other shit and also Vinyl Exchange. Plus you had all the chain store places like HMV, Virgin and Piccadilly.

Bach had a twitter spat with William Shatner a while back!

That's funny about Bach these days.  He's a nut!

Dude you and I lived in the heyday of record stores.  We are lucky!!!!  Yes!   I also had a TOWER RECORDS in Concord.   I was living the dream buddy.  We had The Wherehouse.  CD Warehouse (my buddy used to own both of them) and a few others at my mall.
There's other ones that I can't remember probably. And in the late 80's I discovered a great JAZZ, fusion, and blues place called Decoy Records.

#43 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 95504 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 30 September 2020 - 04:39 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 30 September 2020 - 04:34 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 September 2020 - 04:31 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 30 September 2020 - 04:18 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 September 2020 - 04:16 PM, said:

When Earl goes on his odyssey to find his old Pioneer stereo this will be his soundtrack:



Epic song Pat.  A little too slow for my odyssey!!
I was just listening to it. I thought it was apt for your odyssey because it was haunting and melancholy and that's because you probably wouldn't be able to locate your old Pioneer at this point.

Hahahaha!  I get it.  Yes!  I will never find it again.  Very haunting.  I do enjoy that record!!
I was just talking about it with Rod, he doesn't like it at all, hates it ha ha!

I still use my 1988 Technics stacking system, it was top of the line back then and it still delivers ear splitting power to this day!

#44 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 38761 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 30 September 2020 - 04:45 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 30 September 2020 - 04:39 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 30 September 2020 - 04:34 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 September 2020 - 04:31 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 30 September 2020 - 04:18 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 September 2020 - 04:16 PM, said:

When Earl goes on his odyssey to find his old Pioneer stereo this will be his soundtrack:



Epic song Pat.  A little too slow for my odyssey!!
I was just listening to it. I thought it was apt for your odyssey because it was haunting and melancholy and that's because you probably wouldn't be able to locate your old Pioneer at this point.

Hahahaha!  I get it.  Yes!  I will never find it again.  Very haunting.  I do enjoy that record!!
I was just talking about it with Rod, he doesn't like it at all, hates it ha ha!

I still use my 1988 Technics stacking system, it was top of the line back then and it still delivers ear splitting power to this day!

That's a very nice system buddy!!  HAHAHAHA!  I though Rod loves EVERYTHING!!!!  LOL!

The record is mellow, but again I like it.

#45 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 95504 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 30 September 2020 - 04:48 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 30 September 2020 - 04:45 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 September 2020 - 04:39 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 30 September 2020 - 04:34 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 September 2020 - 04:31 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 30 September 2020 - 04:18 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 September 2020 - 04:16 PM, said:

When Earl goes on his odyssey to find his old Pioneer stereo this will be his soundtrack:



Epic song Pat.  A little too slow for my odyssey!!
I was just listening to it. I thought it was apt for your odyssey because it was haunting and melancholy and that's because you probably wouldn't be able to locate your old Pioneer at this point.

Hahahaha!  I get it.  Yes!  I will never find it again.  Very haunting.  I do enjoy that record!!
I was just talking about it with Rod, he doesn't like it at all, hates it ha ha!

I still use my 1988 Technics stacking system, it was top of the line back then and it still delivers ear splitting power to this day!

That's a very nice system buddy!!  HAHAHAHA!  I though Rod loves EVERYTHING!!!!  LOL!

The record is mellow, but again I like it.
He calls it pointless noise!

Yeah my stereo looks like a Bob Bradshaw guitar rig! It's about 4 feet tall!

#46 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 95504 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:01 PM

Sudden random video:



#47 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 76428 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:12 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 30 September 2020 - 05:01 PM, said:

Sudden random video:




Oops.

#48 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 95504 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:34 PM

View Postgoose, on 30 September 2020 - 05:12 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 September 2020 - 05:01 PM, said:

Sudden random video:




Oops.
He should have got out of the way.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: to hell with goodhell, RUSH, Signals, Hold Your Fire, Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, Elwood Peart, Alex Zivo, Gary Lee Winerib

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users