Happy 44th Birthday to All The World's A Stage !!

blueschica

Happy, happy birthday to one of my favorite Rush albums! I've been playing it loud and proud on vinyl today! A tribute from Danforth & Pape-

"Rush’s utterly iconic first live album was recorded at the equally utterly iconic Massey Hall at 178 Victoria Street in Toronto on June 11th, 12th and 13th during their 2112 tour. The title of the album alludes to William Shakespeare’s pastoral comedy As You Like It which would again be referenced five years later in Limelight (All the world's indeed a stage, And we are merely players.) And Mr Shakespeare also appears on this jolly cool Terry Gilliamesque style advert for the album.

All The World's A Stage was Rush's first US Top 40-charting album and went gold, alongside A Farewell to Kings and 2112 on November 16th 1977. It was certified platinum in the US in 1981 after the release of Moving Pictures.

In the words of the band at the time of the album’s release, “This album to us, signifies the end of the beginning, a milestone to mark the close of chapter one, in the annals of Rush.”

And boy, were there some exciting chapters to come..."

ZylPy3xl.png

• Like 1

"Happy 44th Birthday, All the World's A Stage". I've been originally from Toronto, ON. I know, and I'm familiar with Massey Hall, too. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

Firs Rush album I got into. My older sister bought it. It was the era of the great double live album. This and Kiss Alive dominated my listening sessions.

Coincidentally, I was listening to 2112/Something for Nothing outtakes from the 40th Anniversary box set, on the way in to work today. Geddy's voice is in prime banshee wail condition during this year.

Love it love love it. We need all 3 nights released

• Like 1

One of the first things I did when I moved here was to find out where the Massey Hall is. Amazing venue, which does have a mystique about it. I was able to catch two acts there before it closed for renovations: Ricky Gervais and Steve Hackett. I think it will reopen next year - hopefully we'll be able to have concerts then!
  • Like 2

This is going to sound nitpicky but the particular reverb on Lee's vocals on ATWAS always bothered me and took away from it. His 70's voice sounded better on live recording with a slightly drier effect like on the Different Stages disc 3 years later or how he sounded on the studio records

Can you hear me in the crowd? :smoke:

Wow! Just a touch envious.

I heard Anthem first on a compilation tape a friend gave me. I've no idea what else was on it because I just played and rewound that one song continually.

Bought ATWAS with some Xmas money a few months later. Within a couple of weeks I was absolutely hooked on this band.

Safe to say this album is the reason I'm on this website today. Happy birthday indeed :)

Can you hear me in the crowd? :smoke:

Wow! Just a touch envious.

I heard Anthem first on a compilation tape a friend gave me. I've no idea what else was on it because I just played and rewound that one song continually.

Bought ATWAS with some Xmas money a few months later. Within a couple of weeks I was absolutely hooked on this band.

Safe to say this album is the reason I'm on this website today. Happy birthday indeed :)

Yes my first Rush show. I was a fan from the first album but was too young to see them in bars.

• Like 1