Most Overrated Movies Ever IYO?

_hi_water._

Parasite (yeah, I got the symbolism - got old in 10 minutes)

Manchester By The Sea (Ya like STAH TREKK??)

Crash (the one with Matt Dillon and Thandie Newton - absolutely, hilariously awful)

Lincoln (the Spielberg one)

The Irishman (a crushing disappointment)

Yeah, the other Crash (I want to say Cronenberg`s?) is a lot more entertaining and a helluva lot less self-righteous. The Irishman - I didn`t finish it, a yawnfest and the CGI stuff seemed too gimmicky. Have you seen "I`m Thinking Of Ending Things"? I can see how that might not be for everyone. Or anyone who likes their films to have any kind of logical storyline. I often watch films purely for things like cinematography and acting performances but it`s nice if there`s some kind of story to follow too.

I love Charlie Kaufman and I've heard good things - I'm going to check this one out soon.

I thought Adaptation was fantastic.

I`ve been meaning to watch Synecdoche, New York for a while. It`s on Amazon Prime so I`ve no excuses.

I enjoyed it. PSH is great.

I hope you like ...Ending Things - the performances are fantastic. But I was so confused :eh:
  • Like 1

I saw Attack of the Clones at cinema, my girlfriend at the time wanted to go. Honestly, what shocked me was the dialogue - I couldn`t believe it got written and acted without any kind of quality control.

Dialogue is abysmal throughout the Star Wars series. And plenty of cringeworthy ideas as well.

But the creatures and weapons are pretty cool, so it gets a pass.

• Like 1

My list starts with any of the three LotR + The Matrix. Red pill / blue pill...seems like a dumb, dorky concept my buddies and I would concoct back in freshman year of high school

Yet you seem to adore comic book movies, which are literally geared to that audience and younger?

I guess we like what we like. That makes the OP question a tough one for me, because I have to set aside whether I like a film, but and try to measure a film more objectively. Not sure I'm up to that task.

Cloverfield

Insert Wes Anderson movie here.

Crazy Rich Asians

Interstellar

Top Gun

Captain America Winter Soldier

King Kong (2005)

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

The Squid And The Whale

The Artist

Gangs Of New York

Trainwreck- Apatow is the M Night of comedy. He used to be good but he peaked really fast.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

HAHAHA ---awesome. I haven't watched Gymkata in ages. I wonder if my kids would like it.

That movie is FINALLY gonna get the Rifftrax treatment in the next year. Between that and Last Dragon, 1985 was a big year for martial arts movies made by cokeheads.

I say with love since Last Dragon is a big guilty pleasure.

• Like 1

Crash (the one with Matt Dillon and Thandie Newton - absolutely, hilariously awful)

If you hate symbolism circle jerking, I suggest avoiding Us by Jordan Peele. I took film classes in college and he lays it on thick.

• Like 2

If I can include films I`ve seen some of and thought were horrible, then any Star Wars/LOTR/Marvel films.

Depends which Star Wars you’re talking about. Some of them are crap imho too but aren’t overrated. 2017’s The Last Jedi and 2002’s Attack of the Clones are two of the biggest examples. Most people don’t like it and many SW fans don’t have that many good things to say about them. You can say Empire Strikes Back is overrated because many if not most people rate that very highly. You’d get a lot of disagreement (from me too) but the idea of it being overrated would make sense.

Same thing goes for the Marvel movies. With over 20 movies in their stable, some are certainly crap and some surely aren’t rated that highly which means those in particular can’t be overrated.

I saw Attack of the Clones at cinema, my girlfriend at the time wanted to go. Honestly, what shocked me was the dialogue - I couldn`t believe it got written and acted without any kind of quality control.

I fell asleep for 5 minutes watching AOTC opening day. Worst of the pre Disney movies Yoda and Dooku saber fight scene aside.

• Like 1

If you hate symbolism circle jerking, I suggest avoiding Us by Jordan Peele. I took film classes in college and he lays it on thick.

The film is very self aware.
  • Like 1

I’ve never even heard of Manchester by the Sea

It's mostly known for the controversy regarding Casey Affleck's sexual harassment controversy and how Brie Larson refused to give him the congratulatory hug after presenting best actor.

And this was months before meetoo exploded with Weinstein, Spacey et al.

• Like 1

My list starts with any of the three LotR + The Matrix. Red pill / blue pill...seems like a dumb, dorky concept my buddies and I would concoct back in freshman year of high school

Yet you seem to adore comic book movies, which are literally geared to that audience and younger?

I guess we like what we like. That makes the OP question a tough one for me, because I have to set aside whether I like a film, but and try to measure a film more objectively. Not sure I'm up to that task.

I see what you’re saying. But it really depends on the comic book movie. If I listed all of the ones I’ve seen, I bet I don’t even like half of them. Many of the more recent ones from Marvel aren’t very good. They’re trying too hard with the snappy wit now but it’s not coming off imho. Then, there’s the vivisection of the character personalities or sex changing them for the big screen. Why?

The Fox Marvel movies (the X-Men related stuff) are under 50% goodness imho. Weak or sloppy effort most of the time. The storylines and characters are there for the taking but they f**k up everything from very poor casting to butchering the original plots.

The Sony Marvel ones, aside from the first 2 Maguire Spidey movies, are garbage. They have no idea what they’re doing.

Nearly all of the DC movies this century are terrible. I only liked the first two Nolan Bat flicks, Joker, and Wonder Woman. All of the others were not very good or just embarrassing.

So yeah, there are too many I dislike for me to say I adore superhero movies. I’d probably have the same good/bad ratio if you picked another genre such as action, horror, or whatever.

With The Matrix, it seemed to want to try to pass itself off as a philosophical/intellectual sci-fi work. But how can that work when they’ve got surfer bro Keanu in the lead role? “I’m the one...you’re the one”...stupid.

• Like 1

Here's my list:

The Quiet Place (2018)

Inside Out (2015)

Big Hero 6 (2014)

Pulp Fiction (1994) COME AT ME

The Dark Knight (2008) COME AT ME

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (2011)

A Quiet Place actually deserves the praise it gets. The actors did a movie with no dialogue and relied on sign/body language and their physical actions to sell a story. Pretty unique concept to do in a movie today.

As for Pulp Fiction, you're not the first person and you won't be the last to think it's overrated. I happen to love it but back when the movie came out there were plenty of people who didn't care for it. It's over 25 years later and I'm not going to fight you for thinking it's overrated.

• Like 1

Here's my list:

The Quiet Place (2018)

Inside Out (2015)

Big Hero 6 (2014)

As for Pulp Fiction, you're not the first person and you won't be the last to think it's overrated. I happen to love it but back when the movie came out there were plenty of people who didn't care for it. It's over 25 years later and I'm not going to fight you for thinking it's overrated.

Yup. It’s easy to dislike Tarantino movies. I dislike most of his stuff, the latter movies. It’s just that I like Pulp Fiction, an extremely popular movie. So yeah, I can understand when people say it’s overrated.

Looks like you’ll have to fight yourself, hi_water.

The Hangover.

All I heard repeatedly is how funny this movie was. When I finally saw it I don't think I laughed once.

I never found it too funny either and I don't have a high level for what I consider funny. I can laugh at toilet humor jokes just as much as I can for one that is cleverly written. I think the movie gave me a few chuckles but not much else. I get that the concept is relatable. A lot of people have had a crazy night out and done some dumb things they can't recall the next day because they were too messed up. So, at least that part I understand.

Here's my list:

The Quiet Place (2018)

Inside Out (2015)

Big Hero 6 (2014)

Yup. It’s easy to dislike Tarantino movies. I dislike most of his stuff, the latter movies. It’s just that I like Pulp Fiction, an extremely popular movie. So yeah, I can understand when people say it’s overrated.

My fav Tarantino movie is Jackie Brown. I thought it was great.

• Like 2

Here's my list:

The Quiet Place (2018)

Inside Out (2015)

Big Hero 6 (2014)

For anyone that hasnt seen it give it a try. It isnt.. weird in any way, its more of a straight forward storyline, and the actors and story are really good.

Here's my list:

The Quiet Place (2018)

Inside Out (2015)

Big Hero 6 (2014)

Right. The only Tarantino movies I like are the first three. A few of the others might have scenes I like but as a whole movie, I don’t like anything post-Jackie Brown

• Like 2

Here's my list:

The Quiet Place (2018)

Inside Out (2015)

Big Hero 6 (2014)

Right. The only Tarantino movies I like are the first three. A few of the others might have scenes I like but as a whole movie, I don’t like anything post-Jackie Brown

Many people feel that way... I happen to like some of the later stuff (but not the kill bill stuff which I just dont get) but thought that some of the other movies were a good watch (but not as good as earlier stuff). My general liking was:

1992 Reservoir Dogs[18][19] **

1994 Pulp Fiction ***

1997 Jackie Brown ***

2003 Kill Bill: Volume

2004 Kill Bill: Volume

2007 Grindhouse: Death Proof *

Grindhouse: Planet Terror

2009 Inglourious Basterds **

2012 Django Unchained *

2015 The Hateful Eight *

2019 Once Upon a Time in Hollywood **

Here's my list:

The Quiet Place (2018)

Inside Out (2015)

Big Hero 6 (2014)

A Quiet Place actually deserves the praise it gets. The actors did a movie with no dialogue and relied on sign/body language and their physical actions to sell a story. Pretty unique concept to do in a movie today.

the movie is just boring af and is too predictable

Here's my list:

The Quiet Place (2018)

Inside Out (2015)

Big Hero 6 (2014)

the movie is just boring af and is too predictable

Oh, so you were expecting superhero movie action and a Shyamalan twist before seeing it then?

• Like 2