Full-length or Just the First 8? (Set 1)

JohnnyBlaze

Full length or just the first 8  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Hold Your Fire do you think is better?

• The original 10 track HYF release
    • HYF minus Tai Shan and High Water
  2. 2. Which version of Presto do you think is better?

• The original 11 track Presto release
    • Presto minus Red Tide, Hand Over Fist, Available Light
  3. 3. Which version of Roll the Bones do you think is better?

• The original ten track RTB release
    • RTB minus Neurotica and You Bet Your Life

It’s been stated by many on TRF over the years that some of Rush’s latter, lengthier albums would’ve benefited by being a mere 40 minutes or so. 8 tracks.

So, let’s see what the polls come up with if we just use the first 8 tracks vs the full-length actual release.

Feel free to hand pick your best 8 of a particular album if you think it’d be better than the original release.

I’ll do Set 2 (Counterparts, Test for Echo, and Vapor Trails) in a couple of days if this thread poll gets some discussion going.

:blaze:

I can't imagine these albums without tracks like High Water etc

Well, let’s see if those who had said some of these albums are better with fewer tracks speak up.

From this set I’d only chop Bones. This is because both of those tracks are in my top 10 worst songs.

I’m not a fan of Hand Over Fist but Red Tide is alright and I like Available Light. I’m not willing to sacrifice those two in order to just cut Hand Over Fist.

I get the concept, but even if some of these tracks are clunkers, i would prefer to stay with the original format.

TBH, what we see nowadays (and have done for a bunch of years) is classic albums across all genres being re-issued with so called 'special' bonus tracks ...

..... which in some cases are more useless than the tracks here that you propose dropping.

Feel free to hand pick your best 8 of a particular album if you think it’d be better than the original release.

That's the sort of route I'd take, keeping the songs mentioned in the poll but getting rid of stuff like Scars, Heresy, Prime Mover, and Turn the Page (though my HYF choices wouldn't garner much approval).

• Like 1

That's the sort of route I'd take, keeping the songs mentioned in the poll but getting rid of stuff like Scars, Heresy, Prime Mover, and Turn the Page (though my HYF choices wouldn't garner much approval).

From Hold Your Fire I'd drop Tai Shan and Lock and Key if I had to

• Like 1

I can understand Scars and Heresy but I’d go with Anagram and Hand/Fist.

Removing Prime Mover and Turn the Page? That’s a surprise.

If forced I’d drop Tai Shan and Second Nature...but I still like both

I would have "Hold Your Fire", "Presto", and "Roll the Bones" stay, and keep the way they are as from "Hold Your Fire", I've liked "High Water", from "Presto", I've liked "Red Tide", haven't had any problems, and issues with "Hand Over Fist", and still my favorite song "Available Light" I wouldn't remove, switch around, and even drop any songs from those three studio releases. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

I like High Water too much to ever think of removing it. If you'd only done Hand Over Fist and Available Light, I might've considered it for a bit, but with Red Tide in there, no way. I also think Where's My Thing is the only weak song from Roll The Bones, I generally enjoy that album.

Cyclonus doesn't like some of the what I call "full-synth" stuff. He really dislikes Body Electric and Mystic Rhythms as well

but I am glad he accepts High Water to be on HYF :yes:

Cyclonus doesn't like some of the what I call "full-synth" stuff. He really dislikes Body Electric and Mystic Rhythms as well

But you voted High Water out, right?

You’d rather have it out than in but you like when someone wants it in? How does that work?

You’d rather have it out than in but you like when someone wants it in? How does that work?

I voted it out? Oops...
  • Like 1

I think High Water is very uplifting. Tai Shan too.

Prime Mover and Turn the Page both have choruses that annoy me to no end. That's the case with The Body Electric as well. I can seldom sit all the way through those songs.

• Like 1

I voted it out? Oops...

Your welcome

I think High Water is very uplifting. Tai Shan too.

This post just made me like Tai Shan a lot more than I did. :goodone:
  • Like 1

Looks like the issue will be which songs to drop. Like with others, for me it's not a matter of dropping the final few tracks, but weeding out songs I don't like much. So...keep them as they are. It's easy enough to just skip.

Looks like the issue will be which songs to drop. Like with others, for me it's not a matter of dropping the final few tracks, but weeding out songs I don't like much. So...keep them as they are. It's easy enough to just skip.

Which two from each would you skip, if any?

HYF: Just Tai Shan,

Presto: Just Anagram. Apparently Hand Over Fist was originally going to be an instrumental, and I would have liked that to have happened, with the song taking a heavier turn musically.

RTB: Just Neurotica's chorus, as the balance is pretty cool. I might shift around the song order as well.

I like at least one song from every option, so I chose to keep the original in every case. That doesn't mean I wouldn't drop songs from some albums.

There are very few songs I actually think I would have been better off never hearing from Rush. Stick it Out is one. Much of the first album is completely unnecessary. But generally, even if I usually skip a song, I liked them enough to find them useful on the album.