90s Albums Face Off: Roll the Bones vs Test for Echo

JohnnyBlaze

Bones vs Echo  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you prefer?

• Roll the Bones
    • Test for Echo
  2. 2. 1 star: poor, 2 stars: ok, 3 stars: good, 4 stars: great. Which ones get 4 stars?

• Dreamline
    • Bravado
    • Roll the Bones
    • Face Up
    • Where’s My Thing?
    • The Big Wheel
    • Heresy
    • Ghost of a Chance
    • Neurotica
    • You Bet Your Life
    • Test for Echo
    • Driven
    • Half the World
    • The Color of Right
    • Time and Motion
    • Totem
    • Dog Years
    • Virtuality
    • Resist
    • Limbo
    • Carve Away the Stone
    • ((None))
  3. 3. Using the same 1-4 star scale as in Q2, which ones would get just 1 star?

• Dreamline
    • Bravado
    • Roll the Bones
    • Face Up
    • Where’s My Thing?
    • The Big Wheel
    • Heresy
    • Ghost of a Chance
    • Neurotica
    • You Bet Your Life
    • Test for Echo
    • Driven
    • Half the World
    • The Color of Right
    • Time and Motion
    • Totem
    • Dog Years
    • Virtuality
    • Resist
    • Limbo
    • Carve Away the Stone
    • ((None))

I've got these two albums in my bottom 5 RUSH albums, I'm not sure which I like better. Probably Roll the Bones is more consistently solid with less tracks that are immediately jarring. T4E though is the better produced heavier album which probably has the better best tracks, like the title track, Time and Motion, Driven and Totem. It also has an album cover that seems like an ECHO of the Hemispheres cover, with a man made of rocks instead of a human being and the arctic tundra instead of a brain. Edited by treeduck

I've got these two albums in my bottom 5 RUSH albums, I'm not sure which I like better. Probably Roll the Bones is more consistently solid with less tracks that are immediately jarring. T4E though is the better produced heavier album which probably has the better best tracks, like the title track, Time and Motion, Driven and Totem. It also has an album cover that seems like an ECHO of the Hemispheres cover, with a man made of rocks instead of a human being and the arctic tundra instead of a brain.

Bones would be second from the bottom, Echo third from the bottom. I’d have Dreamline and Bravado as my best two off both albums...but then the next 4-5 songs would be off Echo. Bones has a few songs which I dislike while Echo has none...though there are plenty of just 2 star songs off of Test for Echo.

I've got these two albums in my bottom 5 RUSH albums, I'm not sure which I like better. Probably Roll the Bones is more consistently solid with less tracks that are immediately jarring. T4E though is the better produced heavier album which probably has the better best tracks, like the title track, Time and Motion, Driven and Totem. It also has an album cover that seems like an ECHO of the Hemispheres cover, with a man made of rocks instead of a human being and the arctic tundra instead of a brain.

Bones would be second from the bottom, Echo third from the bottom. I’d have Dreamline and Bravado as my best two off both albums...but then the next 4-5 songs would be off Echo. Bones has a few songs which I dislike while Echo has none...though there are plenty of just 2 star songs off of Test for Echo.

Where've you got Snakes & Arrows?

It’s got a dinner table reservation next to the toilets, bottom of the barrel, end of the line, the underside of Oscar the Grouch’s can! Last place where the yodeling and marbles-in-mouth vocals belong!

• Like 1

It’s got a dinner table reservation next to the toilets, bottom of the barrel, end of the line, the underside of Oscar the Grouch’s can! Last place where the yodeling and marbles-in-mouth vocals belong!

I've got Presto last. The production is the weakest of all RUSH albums with the worst drum sound. It also has a slew of terrible songs like Superconductor, Scars, Red Tide, Hand Over Fist. it does have good songs like Presto, Available Light, Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, The Pass but they're not amazing and that production totally ruins them.

I've got Presto last. The production is the weakest of all RUSH albums with the worst drum sound. It also has a slew of terrible songs like Superconductor, Scars, Red Tide, Hand Over Fist. it does have good songs like Presto, Available Light, Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, The Pass but they're not amazing and that production totally ruins them.

Presto would be 4th from the bottom. Half is good or great while the rest are either forgettable or very weak.

Presto would be 4th from the bottom. Half is good or great while the rest are either forgettable or very weak.

The problem with Presto along with the weak production and the bunch of bad songs, is that the good songs don't really add up to much. Does anyone really love Show Don't Tell even though it's decent? And Chain Lightning? And Presto? and Available Light? I mean they're ok tracks, but these are best songs on there, none of these are really that good. So you end up a powder puff produced album with a collection of dull, non-essential, not very melodic songs.

I always thought T4E was a partial recovery from the awfulness of the two previous album...it's not perfect by a long way but I'd say there is half of a very good album there.

RTB is just dogshit, plain and simple.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

How big is the pile of dog shit? Like an Irish Wolfhound’s dump or like a little Chihuahua’s?

Put it this way, I wouldn't want to climb it and plant a flag.....

• Like 1

I guess that explains its commercial appeal and chart success. What do the masses know?!?

I liked it much more when it was new but time changes things you know.

I still really enjoy Dreamline and Bravado though. Where’s My Thing is also no slouch.

I guess that explains its commercial appeal and chart success. What do the masses know?!?

I still really enjoy Dreamline and Bravado though. Where’s My Thing is also no slouch.

I HATE Dreamline......."We are Young".......No you're not!

I HATE Dreamline......."We are Young".......No you're not!

I know you do. I remember you once said it sounded like something from Roxette. :LOL:

• Like 1

At least RTB has some songcraft — hooks and radio sensibility.

T4E features The Professor preaching endlessly.

Preaching about preaching, even, which is hilarious.

Take it easy on me now

I'd be there if I could

I'm so full of what is right

I can't see what is good

Make it easy on yourself

There's nothing more you can do

You're so full of what is right

You can't see what is true

• Like 1

At least RTB has some songcraft — hooks and radio sensibility.

T4E features The Professor preaching endlessly.

Preaching about preaching, even, which is hilarious.

Take it easy on me now

I'd be there if I could

I'm so full of what is right

I can't see what is good

Make it easy on yourself

There's nothing more you can do

You're so full of what is right

You can't see what is true

funny how ST3V thinks Half The World has great lyrics but The Trees has bad lyrics

I guess someone invited the circus ;)