Alice Cooper vs David Bowie

treeduck

Alice Cooper vs David Bowie  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these artists do you prefer, Alice Cooper or David Bowie?

2. 2. Which alter-ego character do you think is best?

3. 3. Which of these artists had the best band in the 70's?

• Alice Cooper Group
    • The Spiders From Mars

Two solo artists, both with a glam image, both created an alter-ego character for themselves, both had a band that went with the character, both abandoned the band and went solo. You can see the parallels here, Alice the more heavy rock-orientated. Which one do you prefer, which is best?

Another parallel is both artists had a band called the Spiders...

• Like 4

I've liked "David Bowie". By voting, I've picked, and chosen him.

It's Bowie, and Bowie, and Bowie, and if you'd contrived a fourth question, that probably would have been Bowie, too.

I have never understood the fascination with Alice Cooper. The music is not particularly compelling or interesting (of the songs I've heard, which have never piqued my further curiosity) and the whole stage show rubbish is dreck.

• Like 1

Two solo artists, both with a glam image, both created an alter-ego character for themselves, both had a band that went with the character, both abandoned the band and went solo. You can see the parallels here, Alice the more heavy rock-orientated. Which one do you prefer, which is best?

Oh bugger!! What a difficult choice .....

I was into the Alice Cooper Group from the time I saw them on Top of The Pops with Schools Out in 1972. I bought the album on the strength of it. By the time Billion Doller Babies came out I had purchased the entire back catalogue including the two dodgy first albums. I think that period from 1969 - 1973 as the Alice Cooper Group produced a phenomenal body of work. Cooper's career post Muscle Of Love was a bit more hit or miss for me. Some good, some just average.

As for Bowie ..... ah Bowie! ... i liked a lot of his stuff throughout his career and particularly everything featuring Mick Ronson. The Berlin trilogy from '77 to '79 was impressive also.

But Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane are still three of my favourite albums of all time.

So after much thought -

I have voted for Bowie/Ziggy on the first two categories

and Alice Cooper Group for the third category.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

Tough, even with Bowie in my top 5. Bowie takes the first question pretty easy for me, but the second question Alice gives Ziggy a bit of trouble, and by the third question the Alice Cooper Band knocks The Spiders From Mars out. Much as I love Bowie, if he had stopped with The Spiders I'm not sure I could rank him over Alice. Thankfully he's got loads of other stuff that Alice just wouldn't dare to try.

1: Can't possibly vote against either in the first question.

2: Alice Cooper, definitely the better alter-ego.

3: The Alice Cooper Group proper...that band ruled the world for a few years there.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2013/05/alice1-630x420.jpg

• Like 3

Pat! BOWIE SWEEPS FOR ME!

• Like 2

How do you think Alice measures up?

• Like 1

Alice is great but Bowie and his bands BLOW ALICE INTO WONDERLAND!

• Like 2

Alice Cooper Rocks from 1971 to 1975! "Welcome To My Nightmare" is AWESOME! I'm surprised he recorded it with Atlantic Records and then went back to the Warner Brothers Label. Solo concept release?

I love every Bowie record from 1967 to Let's Dance 1983. I LOVE THAT RECORD!! Stevie Ray Vaughan on guitars. Tony Thompson on drums. Incredible.

The Tin Machine albums are solid too.

Bowie Rules!

• Like 2

Who's the better golfer though??

• Like 1

Hahahahaha!!!! You are funny buddy!! ALICE!

• Like 1

Hahahahaha!!!! You are funny buddy!! ALICE!

I suppose Alice has one more advantage over Bowie these days...he's alive! :16ton: