The Godfather

Lorraine

I'm not a big movie buff, but I think this movie is one of my favorites primarily because the casting and acting were almost flawless.

Al Pacino is at his best in this movie. Diane Keaton too. Marlon Brando is a natural

These actors have transformed words on a sheet of paper into something believable. You'd never think they were acting. They make you believe they are who they are acting to be.

What's your favorite scene? I can't find a clip of mine. It's between Michael and Kay.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 7

I'm not a big movie buff, but I think this movie is one of my favorites primarily because the casting and acting were almost flawless.

Al Pacino is at his best in this movie. Diane Keaton too. Marlon Brando is a natural

These actors have transformed words on a sheet of paper into something believable. You'd never think they were acting. They make you believe they are who they are acting to be.

What's your favorite scene? I can't find a clip of mine. It's between Michael and Kay.

Agree, fantastic film. I have a LOT of favorite scenes. One is Michael talking to his father in the hospital after his bodyguards were gone. Another is the scene at the restaurant, mostly in Italian. Good drama, and you see that Michael did things HIS way, a little different than Clemenza told him to. Another favorite scene is one that got cut from the original movie but is in the "Epic" version: after Vito Corleone is shot, Sonny (James Caan) has to get a book out and start calling the important people that the Don knows to call in favors and let them know. He goes into his father's study and gets the book and for a second goes to sit behind the desk, then realizing that would be disrespectful he sits elsewhere.

I could go on for hours about this movie.

• Like 1

Such a great movie! The Godfather and Pt. II are about as perfect as you're going to get in telling a whole coherent story and maintaining tone and quality.

Favorite scene? The hits interspersed with the baptism is brilliant, so maybe that's it. The meeting of the Dons is good; the restaurant scene referenced above is very good; Clemenza and Tessio explaining where and how to hide the gun . . . actually, anything with Clemenza: "Get the canoli." Uh, I'll think about it a little more.

• Like 3

Godfather 1 and 2 are on tv re-runs all the time. And every time I turn it on, I end up watching no matter what part of the movie it is on. There are very few movies that never seem tired and you can jump in at any part and the scene is great!
  • Like 3

It's my favorite movie I think - or in my top 5.

Standout Scenes:

-Sonny Corleone gets gunned down at the toll-booth. I saw it as a kid - horrifically violent. I cried.

-When Michael assassinates that dirty cop. High tension throughout!

-When Mo Green is murdered - Yeezus. Right through the eye.

And then of course:

Johnny Fontane never gets that movie. That part is perfect for him. It'll make him a big star. I'm gonna run him out of the movies. And let me tell you why. Johnny Fontane ruined one of Woltz International's most valuable proteges.

For three years we had her under contract, singing lessons, dancing lessons, acting lessons. I spent hundreds of thousands of dollars. I was gonna make her a big star. And let me be even more frank, just to show you that I'm not a hard-hearted man, that it's not all dollars and cents.

She was beautiful! She was young, she was innocent. She was the greatest piece of ass I've ever had, and I've had 'em all over the world.

:laughing guy:

And then Johnny Fontaine comes along with his olive oil voice and guinea charm and she runs off. She threw it all away just to make me look ridiculous. And a man in my position can't afford to be made to look ridiculous!!!

:popcorn:
:LOL:

• Like 1

Any scene with Clemenza in it.

Castellano steals the show with one line, and NOT the one you think!

Sonny asks him if he took care of things, and Pete answers:

"Aw, Paulie, you won't see him no more."

• Like 2

It's my favorite movie I think - or in my top 5.

Standout Scenes:

-Sonny Corleone gets gunned down at the toll-booth. I saw it as a kid - horrifically violent. I cried.

-When Michael assassinates that dirty cop. High tension throughout!

-When Mo Green is murdered - Yeezus. Right through the eye.

And then of course:

Johnny Fontane never gets that movie. That part is perfect for him. It'll make him a big star. I'm gonna run him out of the movies. And let me tell you why. Johnny Fontane ruined one of Woltz International's most valuable proteges.

For three years we had her under contract, singing lessons, dancing lessons, acting lessons. I spent hundreds of thousands of dollars. I was gonna make her a big star. And let me be even more frank, just to show you that I'm not a hard-hearted man, that it's not all dollars and cents.

She was beautiful! She was young, she was innocent. She was the greatest piece of ass I've ever had, and I've had 'em all over the world.

And then Johnny Fontaine comes along with his olive oil voice and guinea charm and she runs off. She threw it all away just to make me look ridiculous. And a man in my position can't afford to be made to look ridiculous!!!

:popcorn:

:LOL:

"Aaaah! Aaaaaaaah! Aaaaaaah! Aaaaaaaaaah! Aaaaaaaaaah... "

• Like 1

Any idea what it was about the movie that made it such a classic for so many? Even my sister, who never has been and still isn't easily impressed by anyone or anything, could watch that movie over and over.

I'd suggest it has something to do with the "closed" nature of the action: we are totally immersed in the world of the mafia families, never seeing the victims of the drugs, prostitution, racketeering, etc., usw., so our sympathies can be fully engaged by the Corleones -- we see them as the good guys and want them to "win."

That aspect (not to get too high-falutin') is almost Shakespearean because we are rooting for people who are objectively monsters (like MacBeth or Richard III [as portrayed in the plays, anyway]), so anything that gets us to suspend our values is going to exert a powerful pull; we need to justify it to ourselves, so we embrace it as great art.

The characters are rendered as real people through showing, not telling* (the behavioral tics of Don Corleone, the violence of Sonny, the ineffectiveness of Fredo, the thoughtfulness of Michael) and the writing is paced well -- there are quiet moments between the bursts of violence. The whole movie is like being invited into a special club, and we're glad to be there.

(*the exception here is Luca Brasi; we're merely told he was a dangerous man and don't actually see him do anything. I can't remember if there was more of him in the book, but The Godfather is one of those cases where the movie is much better than the book).

Edited by Nova Carmina

I remember when they showed an edited version - can't remember what they exactly titled it - of The Godfather and The Godfather Part 2, in chronological order, from the aborted funeral procession for Vito Andolini (Vito Corleone's father) to the scene of Michael sitting alone after Fredo's killing. The flow and continuity was so right.
  • Like 2

I remember when they showed an edited version - can't remember what they exactly titled it - of The Godfather and The Godfather Part 2, in chronological order, from the aborted funeral procession for Vito Andolini (Vito Corleone's father) to the scene of Michael sitting alone after Fredo's killing. The flow and continuity was so right.

I think it was called "The Godfather Saga" and was made for TV, but it really shows how well the thing hangs together.

There was a t.v. miniseries called "the Godfather Saga" that combined "the Godfather", and "the Godfather Part II" into one film. The three Godfather movies are really good, and classic ones. What made them to be that way is the storyline, writing, and acting. When there are the three of those to connect on the same, and equal level, it can, and does make a difference. I haven't had any favorite scenes because each of the them are standouts. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

I remember they reworked everything into "The Godfather Saga", keeping thing more linear time wise. It was an interesting and effective adaptation, I thought.
  • Like 1

Hard to argue any of that. If pressed this is usually what I will say is my all time favorite movie.

Favorite scene is really hard to say. Probably the scene with Michael in the hospital protecting his father from another hit attempt. Not a lot of dialogue but there didn't need to be. Very tense scene. Very powerful.

Edited by thesweetscience
  • Like 2