• The Who
    • The Beatles
    • Rolling Stones
    • Pink Floyd
    • Jethro Tull
    • Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
    • King Crimson
    • Other (please explain)

I don't really have ONE standout favourite.

Take a pick from these:

Funeral For A Friend. (oh, they are Welsh. Meh)

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Led Zeppelin

The Beatles

Yes

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

Take a pick from these:

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Led Zeppelin

The Beatles

Yes

I don't know Funeral For A Friend (other than the Elton John song), but I know the rest are of course incredible choices.

• Like 1

Take a pick from these:

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Led Zeppelin

The Beatles

Yes

I don't know Funeral For A Friend (other than the Elton John song), but I know the rest are of course incredible choices.

Funeral For A Friend, Biffy Clyro and Idlewild (both Scottish) are my favourite bands from the last twenty years on this side of the pond.

• Like 2

Take a pick from these:

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Led Zeppelin

The Beatles

Yes

Funeral For A Friend, Biffy Clyro and Idlewild (both Scottish) are my favourite bands from the last twenty years on this side of the pond.

Recs for Funeral and Idlewild?

• Like 1

Take a pick from these:

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Led Zeppelin

The Beatles

Yes

You want something scuzzy and raw or more refined and polished? Both bands have distinctive eras

• Like 2

Take a pick from these:

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Led Zeppelin

The Beatles

Yes

You want something scuzzy and raw or more refined and polished? Both bands have distinctive eras

Hmm, give me the scuzzy and raw. I feel sometimes like I get introduced to new artists in their more polished state and they don't do much for me, but when i hear the rawer stuff later I'm like "why didn't I listen to this first?"

It doesn't happen that way every time, but it does sometimes and I'd like to think I've listened to enough of a variety of music that less refined sounds won't scare me off anymore.

Take a pick from these:

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Led Zeppelin

The Beatles

Yes

Hmm, give me the scuzzy and raw. I feel sometimes like I get introduced to new artists in their more polished state and they don't do much for me, but when i hear the rawer stuff later I'm like "why didn't I listen to this first?"

It doesn't happen that way every time, but it does sometimes and I'd like to think I've listened to enough of a variety of music that less refined sounds won't scare me off anymore.

Funeral For A Friend- Casually Dressed And Deep In Conversation

Idlewild- 100 Broken Windows

More polished:

Funeral For A Friend- Hours

Idlewild- The Remote Part

Oddly Biffy Clyro have towed the line between raw and crazy and commercial their whole career, and have never once faded. These other two sadly did.

The backlash Funeral got when they made it big only to be torn down lead to them never again sounding confident in the studio.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

On that list? Queen.

It was close with the Beatles but in the end, I listen to Queen a lot more that I listen to the Beatles.

All the rest are really good bands, with the exception of King Crimson who I have never actually listened to and so have no opinion of.

Edited by thesweetscience
  • Like 1

On that list? Queen.

It was close with the Beatles but in the end, I listen to Queen a lot more that I listen to the Beatles.

All the rest are really good bands, with the exception of King Crimson who I have never actually listened to and so have no opinion of.

Spoiler alert, King Crimson is another very good band.

Yay Queen! :)

Take a pick from these:

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Led Zeppelin

The Beatles

Yes

More polished:

Oddly Biffy Clyro have towed the line between raw and crazy and commercial their whole career, and have never once faded. These other two sadly did.

The backlash Funeral got when they made it big only to be torn down lead to them never again sounding confident in the studio.

I'll check these out soon! That's sad about Funeral. I don't know what it is, but I feel like fan backlash is a much more tangible thing in the 21st century and since rock doesn't hold as much sway over the radio and the charts anymore, then if your fans think you've sold out you almost have to double back or be forgotten.

Take a pick from these:

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Led Zeppelin

The Beatles

Yes

More polished:

I'll check these out soon! That's sad about Funeral. I don't know what it is, but I feel like fan backlash is a much more tangible thing in the 21st century and since rock doesn't hold as much sway over the radio and the charts anymore, then if your fans think you've sold out you almost have to double back or be forgotten.

The first Funeral album (Casually Dressed) is scuzzy, and spontaneous, and screamy with soaring vocals and was one of the most unexpected masterpieces of the 2000s. Second album Hours almost entirely changed the band's sound and it was amazing, and was a hit, and with that reinvention just two albums in, the world was their oyster. Then Tales Don't Tell Themselves came along, with its anthemic, soaring and beautiful songs that told a conceptual story about a man lost at sea, with U2 influences and even touches of prog and indie, and somehow the fans destroyed them and they lost their way. I love their fourth album, Memory And Humanity, but then they just fell apart.

Their last tour was a disaster, interestingly they recently announced a reunion tour and it sold out super fast and the UK rock press has been nostalgic. Their first three albums defined a generation, my generation, alongside Muse and Biffy Clyro.

As for Idlewild, they released one of the best albums of 2004, but that was a rich year for successful rock bands, with Keane, Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Green Day, The Used, My Chemical Romance...I mean it was fantastic and commercial but they faded I think just because of timing, even though in the UK their fanbase is strong.

And once again, Biffy are the band who have won the UK rock press and fans like few others, and it's crazy to think they are so focused on their own thing, no chart chasing.

• Like 1

Porcupine Tree or XTC depending on my mood. Maybe even The Smiths/Morrissey too. Also, where's the Basement Jaxx love?

Yes, some moods will necessitate The Smiths, and early non-bigoted Morrissey. Probably not a perfect fit for this poll.
  • Like 1