Available Light hi_water._ Tribute Poll

JohnnyBlaze

Available Light thoughts...  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Available Light?

• "It's the late 80s Xanadu or 2112." - hi_water
    • "It's not metal enough." - treeduck
    • "I'd rather rub my face in the crotch of a leper than listen to it." - Fridge
    • Very good song. The best or one of the best off Presto.
    • Good tune. It's a bit of a departure from Rush but it's good.
    • It's basically okay but I don't get all that jazzed about it to be honest.
    • Below average and forgettable. I'd like to partially blame Rupert Hine for it.
    • Not good. I skip it often if not more so.
    • ((other))
  2. 2. I like Available Light more than...

http://youtu.be/L1JU2vtA0cs

Available Light.

Why is everyone drooling over this song?

Everyone considers this to be the late 80's Xanadu or 2112.

"Everyone"? Below, "everyone" must've been busy and couldn't show up because here Available Light got its ass kicked by The Garden:

http://www.therushfo...age__mode__show

hi_water._, I'm still not convinced you share the same meaning of "everyone" as what's in dictionaries.

Honestly my least favorite song on Presto.

I don't hate it. Other Presto songs have worse elements, but the rest have better positives.

• Like 1

From Presto, I've thought "Available Light" has been my favorite, and tied for first with "Show Don't Tell". I'm not, and I wasn't, and haven't been the one, who said "It's the late '80's Xanadu, and or 2112". It was someone else, who did say that. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 2

From Presto, I've thought "Available Light" has been my favorite, and tied for first with "Show Don't Tell". I'm not, and I wasn't, and haven't been the one, who said "It's the late '80's Xanadu, and or 2112". It was someone else, who did say that.

Read the original post and you’ll find who said that.

• Like 1

One of the better songs from Presto ....... but that is not necessarily saying much!

On a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being absolute perfection and 1 being a heaping pile of dog crap, what number do you assign Available Light?

Probably a 5 to 5.5
  • Like 1

One of the better songs from Presto ....... but that is not necessarily saying much!

On a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being absolute perfection and 1 being a heaping pile of dog crap, what number do you assign Available Light?

Probably a 5 to 5.5

That puts Madrigal into negative integer territory, I guess? :P
  • Like 1

Probably a 5 to 5.5

That puts Madrigal into negative integer territory, I guess? :P

:LMAO:
  • Like 1

Probably a 5 to 5.5

Oh, that’s higher than I expected.

I put The Pass, Presto, and Show Don’t Tell all above Available Light but they’re all pretty close in the 7-8.5 point range.

Clunkers under 5 points would be Anagram and Hand Over Fist. But I still think later fluff like You Bet Your Life and Speed of Love are much worse.

• Like 1

Probably a 5 to 5.5

I put The Pass, Presto, and Show Don’t Tell all above Available Light but they’re all pretty close in the 7-8.5 point range.

Clunkers under 5 points would be Anagram and Hand Over Fist. But I still think later fluff like You Bet Your Life and Speed of Love are much worse.

oh dude Hand Over Fist is waaaaay better than Anagram
  • Like 1

Probably a 5 to 5.5

You say “toe-may-toe”, I say they’re both below average.

• Like 2

Probably a 5 to 5.5

idk why that post made me laugh
  • Like 1

Probably a 5 to 5.5

“Hit you in a soft place”

I’d probably give Hand job a 3.5 and Anagram a 3.

Keep in mind that something like Natural Science would be an easy 10.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

I like the tune, but I still think Lee sounds a bit constipated when he sings "Play of light / A photograph."

I'm wondering what people think of the lyrics. Peart was pretty good at playing with concept phrases and finding the metaphorical potential.

• Like 2

I like the tune, but I still think Lee sounds a bit constipated when he sings "Play of light / A photograph."

I'm wondering what people think of the lyrics. Peart was pretty good at playing with concept phrases and finding the metaphorical potential.

Agreed,

Probably a 5 to 5.5

“Hit you in a soft place”

I’d probably give Hand job a 3.5 and Anagram a 3.

Keep in mind that something like Natural Science would be an easy 10.

So if Natural Science is a 10, what is the highest rating on your scale?

I prefer it when Neil's lyrics are less literal and pedantic, so I really enjoy these.
  • Like 2

I prefer it when Neil's lyrics are less literal and pedantic, so I really enjoy these.

funny how people think that Available Light is Rush's Bohemian Rhapsody