• Grateful Dead
    • Allman Brothers Band
  2. 2. classic OFFICIALLY RELEASED live album

• Live/Dead - Grateful Dead
    • At Filmore East - Allman Brothers Band
  3. 3. classic studio album

• Workingman's Dead - Grateful Dead
    • Brothers And Sisters - Allman Brothers Band

Battle of the jam bands, but which one steals the show? Which would you follow around this planet religiously? Which bores you to tears less?

OMG! I'm a RUSHHEAD! NOT A DEADHEAD!! YUCK!!!!!!

Allmann Brothers ALL THE WAY!!!!

"EAT A PEACH" BABY!

Lol. I like all three!

But you know Rush pummels the other two.

• Like 1

"EAT A PEACH" BABY!

Lol. I like all three!

HAHAHAHA! Did your dad get you into The Dead????? Give me you dad's cell phone number right now!! LOL!!!!!!!!

"SHAME SHAME SHAME"

Love,

RATT

• Like 1

"EAT A PEACH" BABY!

Lol. I like all three!

HAHAHAHA! Did your dad get you into The Dead????? Give me you dad's cell phone number right now!! LOL!!!!!!!!

"SHAME SHAME SHAME"

Love,

RATT

No no no, lol. I don't think Amps211 could stand them for very long. He'd be straight ticket Allman Brothers as well. I checked them out on my own because I just had to understand the years of hype.

• Like 1

"EAT A PEACH" BABY!

Lol. I like all three!

"SHAME SHAME SHAME"

Love,

RATT

No no no, lol. I don't think Amps211 could stand them for very long. He'd be straight ticket Allman Brothers as well. I checked them out on my own because I just had to understand the years of hype.

I totally understand!!!! It's endless to explore such an amazing musical landscape around the Earth. The Grateful Dead SUCK!

One of the worst bands ever created on the Earth. They are Bay Area born! I could give a shit! LOL!

Fuckk The Grateful Dead. I would rather watch "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood." "f***ing hippies!" LOL!

"DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!"

Love,

PUBLIC ENEMY

I was never a fan of either, but at least the Allmans have good songs. There is not one appealing thing about the Dead for me, and I have never understood the attraction they had for so many.

I will never understand that overrated band. I know Jerry is a Legend. Mickey Hart is a good drummer. That's it for me. Pure Crap. They even tried to jump on the MTV Train with "Touch Of Grey."

Just awful.

Allmans were great Lorraine! Duane was another Legend who died way too young!

• Like 2

I went with the Allman Brothers all the way as well, although I think I did own Workingman's Dead and American Beauty at one point. Duane Allman's guitar work is just awesome and Fillmore East is such a great recording.

I have extended family who is into the Dead like we are into Rush or even more so, so I try to respect their feelings. They always say that the Dead was/is a live band more than studio so you really have to experience them. I had opportunities over the years but it never really appealed to me. Especially after we were out west one year and ran into weird Deadheads traveling to Las Vegas to see them. Out of nowhere in McDonald's(I hadn't even looked at her) this tie dyed girl started screaming at me for being a piggy for eating meat. Exact words. Her boyfriend hauled her away but it wasn't pleasant. And the music never really rang a bell with me, except for a few songs.

• Like 1

I went with the Allman Brothers all the way as well, although I think I did own Workingman's Dead and American Beauty at one point. Duane Allman's guitar work is just awesome and Fillmore East is such a great recording.

I have extended family who is into the Dead like we are into Rush or even more so, so I try to respect their feelings. They always say that the Dead was/is a live band more than studio so you really have to experience them. I had opportunities over the years but it never really appealed to me. Especially after we were out west one year and ran into weird Deadheads traveling to Las Vegas to see them. Out of nowhere in McDonald's(I hadn't even looked at her) this tie dyed girl started screaming at me for being a piggy for eating meat. Exact words. Her boyfriend hauled her away but it wasn't pleasant. And the music never really rang a bell with me, except for a few songs.

Excellent post Becky!!!!!!

• Like 1

I never cared for the Allmans when I was young, but I do like them now. They reminded me of a certain group of wastrel guys I used to know who sat around listening to them stoned all the time touting Dickey Betts, so I was always turned off to the Allman Brothers. It's only been recently that I started listening to them again. They did have a lot of talent and many good songs..

Come to think of it, I guess the guys I knew were no different from the group of guys who sat around stoned listening to Led Zep talking about Jimmy this, Jimmy that. :LOL:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

Yike. Crazy fan. At least her boyfriend had some sense.

• Like 2

I never cared for the Allmans when I was young, but I do like them now. They reminded me of a certain group of wastrel guys I used to know who sat around listening to them stoned all the time touting Dickey Betts, so I was always turned off to the Allman Brothers. It's only been recently that I started listening to them again. They did have a lot of talent and many good songs..

Come to think of it, I guess the guys I knew were no different from the group of guys who sat around stoned listening to Led Zep talking about Jimmy this, Jimmy that. :LOL:

Place your Betts Lorraine! Lol!

My money will always be on the Allman Brothers over The Dead!

Hahaha! Of course the stoners were raving about Jimmy. They were out of their minds too!! Jimmy is an average guitar player at best. Horrible live.

I never saw the Mighty Zeppelin. I just wish I saw John beat the shit out of his drums!!

• Like 1

Yike. Crazy fan. At least her boyfriend had some sense.

Yeah, I mentioned that to my brother in law, one of our family's big Deadheads. His answer- "You should have gone to one of those Las Vegas Silverdome shows, they were really good!" Ummmmm no. :LOL: :lol:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Fire On The Mountain, Scarlet Begonias, Terrapin Station... I'll go with the Dead on this band matchup. Though Jessica is one of my favorite pieces by anyone, so Allman Brothers win the album matchup. Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Though Jessica is one of my favorite pieces by anyone, so Allman Brothers win the album matchup.

I can’t think of a better song by a jam-related band either. And in my previous post I put Phish and Widespread Panic higher in my enjoyability ranking overall. But yeah, Jessica would beat everything by those two fun bands.

I don't dislike The Dead but I have to give all 3 votes to the Allman Bros. Duane's playing on Fillmore East is superb (It is worth getting Derek and the Dominos Layla album for his playing on that also).

Such a tragedy he died so young.

Like both and have albums from both. I went with Allman's on all three.

We're peakin' at the Beacon !

Brothers and Sisters and Come and Go Blues is my #1 song from the ABB.

In college, I was in a frat house for a short two months, and the ABB was the house favorite.

http://youtu.be/-RzbJMJiwFY

I've been to a few shows from The Dead and some were more memorable than others. The Wall of Sound tour 1974 really stands out as something special. It was my first show and I was amazed at what a strong following they had early on. I went to The Dead shows with friends but I didn't go out of my way to buy tickets. I still go to Dead & Co shows because it's a great night out.

Mars Hotel is my favorite album from The Dead.

• Like 2

ABB by a country mile for me. I did see the Dead once. Good show but ABB are easily in my top 20 bands ever so not even a contest. Saw ABB I believe 4, maybe 5 times but sadly never with Duane. All were in the 90s and 00s.
  • Like 1

Battle of the jam bands, but which one steals the show? Which would you follow around this planet religiously? Which bores you to tears less?

I went with the dead overall but voted for Fillmore.

To me it's not even close. Solo Garcia over the bros too.

I saw abb at red rocks and it was disappointing. Underwhelming.

I am not aware of lots of folk traveling around to see the bros? Particularly back in the day

It's really a you had to be there to fully appreciate the experience. It was great time for sure....

Two of my favorite bands. Tough to chose between the two because I love them both so much.

Went with the Dead.

I regard Fillmore East as the greatest live album of all time so I certainly voted for that.

Workingman's Dead also gets the nod from me. With no Duane on Brothers and Sisters, this one was an easy decision. Didn't care too much for the country leanings of the band after Duane was gone. The blues influence is missed.

Two of the greatest live bands. It's been years since I've listened to a studio album all the way through for either of them. But my Sirius radio is usually tuned into the Dead channel.

Only saw the Grateful Dead live 4 times as I was a poor college student just before Jerry died and didn't have the funds to see them often.

But have seen the post Jerry incarnations (Other Ones, Further, The Dead, Dead and Co, Fare The well) well over 50 times.

Have seen the Allman Brothers over 30 times including their final show at the Beacon about 5 years ago. No better guitar duo than Warren and Derek.

Lastly - Jerry has more soul and talent in the tip of his right middle finger than all of Earl's shitty ass hair bands combined.

• Like 1