Guitar Battle: Brian May vs Pete Townshend vs Jimmy Page

treeduck

May vs Townshend vs Page  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these guitarists is the daddy?

I'd have to say May as well. Townshend is a brilliant writer; there's no doubt about that in my mind, and he's given us some incredible riffs, but my ear pretty much always drifts to Entwistle or Moon. Page is an innovator and an inspiration, and I love a lot of his riffs and solos, in spite of the occasional looseness in the playing. But he could never quite seem to pull it off live - he looked cool as hell, but the playing suffered a bit.

May, on the other hand, just makes the guitar soar and sing in a way the other two don't, both in the studio and live. His playing has every bit as much emotion as the human voice in agony or sincerity or any other emotion. There's just a ton of range in his playing.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 3

I see Brian May, I don't even have to think.... He is the god of all guitar players.

My thoughts exactly. The only competition for him in my book is Alex Lifeson.

Jimmy Page.

Never got the hype for Queen or May's playing. At this point in my life it's probably something I never will understand.

You never know! One day it might just click. Have you heard Queen II?

Jimmy Page.

Never got the hype for Queen or May's playing. At this point in my life it's probably something I never will understand.

I've heard A Night At The Opera and News Of The World. Could barely make it through either one. That's how much they held my interest. I don't think I have heard Queen II but I'm also not one of those people who is going to regularly waste my time trying to get into a band that obviously does nothing for me.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Jimmy Page.

I've heard A Night At The Opera and News Of The World. Could barely make it through either one. That's how much they held my interest. I don't think I have heard Queen II but I'm also not one of those people who is going to waste my time continually trying to get into a band that obviously does nothing for me.

Well I know you're a metal fan. ANATO and NOTW have some heavier moments but nothing much approaching metal. Queen and Queen II are much heavier most of the way through. Also, if you want to at least try to "get" what it is about Brian May that people love, just give Brighton Rock a listen. It's a song per say, but it's mostly just Brian May soloing for a few minutes straight.

My preferred band rankings:

Led Zeppelin

The Who

Queen

My preferred guitarist rankings:

Brian May

Jimmy Page

Pete Townshend

Brian May is too diverse and comes up with the best solos, though his guitar tone does grate on my ears after several songs. But solo after solo is perfect for the song. Page would have been my choice, but his arrogance and stubbornness regarding his plagiarism is too much not to ignore.

• Like 1

Jimmy Page.

I've heard A Night At The Opera and News Of The World. Could barely make it through either one. That's how much they held my interest. I don't think I have heard Queen II but I'm also not one of those people who is going to regularly waste my time trying to get into a band that obviously does nothing for me.

• Like 1

Led Zeppelin

The Who

Queen

Brian May

Jimmy Page

Pete Townshend

Brian May is too diverse and comes up with the best solos, though his guitar tone does grate on my ears after several songs. But solo after solo is perfect for the song. Page would have been my choice, but his arrogance and stubbornness regarding his plagiarism is too much not to ignore.

Speaking of plagiarism, yesterday I was in the store and a song came on. I thought to myself "My goodness!!! They're playing something from Tommy!!!!!" Turns out it was a song by Elton John that I never heard before so I can't tell you the name. It wasn't anything from his Bernie T. days, that's for sure. During the middle of the song, it reminded me of yet another song by another band but I don't remember which one. I did think to myself Doesn't anyone sue anymore like in the old days?

Led Zeppelin

The Who

Queen

Brian May

Jimmy Page

Pete Townshend

Speaking of plagiarism, yesterday I was in the store and a song came on. I thought to myself "My goodness!!! They're playing something from Tommy!!!!!" Turns out it was a song by Elton John that I never heard before so I can't tell you the name. It wasn't anything from his Bernie T. days, that's for sure. During the middle of the song, it reminded me of yet another song by another band but I don't remember which one. I did think to myself Doesn't anyone sue anymore like in the old days?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=oOlDewpCfZQ