Before I die I want to...

JohnnyBlaze

All these people wanting to come to the UK, and there`s me and my wife planning to get away. I will visit the Great Lakes and Yellowstone before I die, assuming I outlive the pandemic :)

Yellowstone is beautiful. You could make a tour if you start with Glacier National Park, then Yellowstone. If you have the time Utah has 5 glorious parks: Arches, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon and Zion's. Bryce is my favorite but they all are majestic.

∆∆∆This. You could throw a dart at a map of National Parks and come up with a winner. I've been to Isle Royale, Olympic, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Crater Lake, The Utah 5, Sequoia, Everglades, each with its own magnificence.

100%. I have not been to any back east but Yosemite, Olympic, Crater Lake, et. al. are wonderful. I will say about Sequoia and Redwoods while they are incredibly beautiful I found them "fine" rather than stunning and it's not the fault of the area or to say they aren't spectacular cuz they are. The thing is that in both places, the main focus is on really big trees and I've lived 3/4 of my life in Washington state which has really big trees. The topography of Yosemite, the Utah 5, Yellowstone, etc. is different from what I have lived with (Olympic) so more interesting to me.

Maybe it is a grass is greener thing... in fact, what I`m going to say next pretty much validates that - every place I see, in US, Scandanavia, Japan, I think "Hmmm, I`d be happier there". The problem is my brain will come too and that thing can ruin anything :smash:

:)

Very neat idea, but for me, there are too many things so I came up with something random and probably a bit unusual, I think.

I want to go on a walk and hold hands with Joan Cusack.

Have you mentioned this to Joan?

http://youtu.be/k3UWT6JzMAQ

http://youtu.be/hA4yrXS21zE

She has one of the best and out of nowhere F bomb drops in any movie ever in High Fidelity.

"Hey, Rob!..."

• Like 1

All these people wanting to come to the UK, and there`s me and my wife planning to get away. I will visit the Great Lakes and Yellowstone before I die, assuming I outlive the pandemic :)

Yellowstone is beautiful. You could make a tour if you start with Glacier National Park, then Yellowstone. If you have the time Utah has 5 glorious parks: Arches, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon and Zion's. Bryce is my favorite but they all are majestic.

∆∆∆This. You could throw a dart at a map of National Parks and come up with a winner. I've been to Isle Royale, Olympic, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Crater Lake, The Utah 5, Sequoia, Everglades, each with its own magnificence.

100%. I have not been to any back east but Yosemite, Olympic, Crater Lake, et. al. are wonderful. I will say about Sequoia and Redwoods while they are incredibly beautiful I found them "fine" rather than stunning and it's not the fault of the area or to say they aren't spectacular cuz they are. The thing is that in both places, the main focus is on really big trees and I've lived 3/4 of my life in Washington state which has really big trees. The topography of Yosemite, the Utah 5, Yellowstone, etc. is different from what I have lived with (Olympic) so more interesting to me.

Enthusiastic vote for Rocky Mountain National Park! You can't go wrong, really, but drive over Trail Ridge Road and you won't forget it.

• Like 1

Enthusiastic vote for Rocky Mountain National Park! You can't go wrong, really, but drive over Trail Ridge Road and you won't forget it.

Unfortunately I have never been there. REALLY need to before I quit motorcycle travels. Did get as far east in Colorado as the Million Dollar Highway between Ouray and Durango. Stunning, just stunning.

• Like 2

I wanna visit a Buddhist temple. I'm Catholic, but I've been reading a lot about Buddhism in my time at home. I've set up a little shrine in my den.
  • Like 2

I wanna visit a Buddhist temple. I'm Catholic, but I've been reading a lot about Buddhism in my time at home. I've set up a little shrine in my den.

I dig Buddhist philosophy. Hindu as well.
  • Like 1

Try this:

http://youtu.be/96C4j4EBbcg

Pretty interesting to stay the night in one of the temples, pray with the priests, eat as they do, etc. And no, you don't have to be Buddhist to do all of that or to enjoy it (I'm not).

Not to be a buzzkill, but the Great Lakes are not so great. Large volumes of water and not all that scenic. I can drive 50 miles and see one. But I guess it's the adventure of seeing something that you haven't before. A tour of upper Michigan during the fall color change would be nice for those who haven't been there.

My list, mostly travel:

To visit the other Hawaiian Islands I haven't visited (Kuaui and the Big Island). Another visit to Maui would be nice. Screw Oahu...way too commercialized.

Travel to New Zealand, Australia, Switzerland, Austria. I like BIG scenery. Another trip to Yosemite, the Utah national parks look cool.

Make enough money to retire comfortably and leave something for my kids. Not wealthy, but comfortable without having to worry about money.

Spend my time during retirement traveling or working for charities.

To never, ever, ever, ever be sick enough to be placed in a nursing home.

To die before the ravages of Altzhiemers or Dementia take their toll like it did on my parents.

To be given notice that I have 6 months to live. Sudden death kind of sucks. 6 months is just enough to make final plans and pull off some bullshit I thought about for years.

• Like 2

You know what I would really like to be able to do before I die? Meet many of you in person.

You wouldn't want to meet me in person...I'm much more legendary on-line.

Yes I would, because the TRF user name and personality are lodged in my mind, so no matter what you turned out to be called or are in "real" life, this is how I would always see you, and no matter what your real name is, I would call you Hemi.

:cheers:

• Like 1

Try this:

Pretty interesting to stay the night in one of the temples, pray with the priests, eat as they do, etc. And no, you don't have to be Buddhist to do all of that or to enjoy it (I'm not).

Japan sure has a lot of train lines. I have always found Asian architecture interesting. It must be challenging to build those curved roofs. I read somewhere that the roofs are curved to let more light into the buildings and to prevent rain from eroding the walls. Someone at Quora said Buddhists thought the curved roofs would ward off evil spirits because they move in straight lines. I might have to go there someday. The cemetery night tour sounded pretty cool too.

• Like 2

Not to be a buzzkill, but the Great Lakes are not so great. Large volumes of water and not all that scenic. I can drive 50 miles and see one. But I guess it's the adventure of seeing something that you haven't before. A tour of upper Michigan during the fall color change would be nice for those who haven't been there.

My list, mostly travel:

To visit the other Hawaiian Islands I haven't visited (Kuaui and the Big Island). Another visit to Maui would be nice. Screw Oahu...way too commercialized.

Travel to New Zealand, Australia, Switzerland, Austria. I like BIG scenery. Another trip to Yosemite, the Utah national parks look cool.

Make enough money to retire comfortably and leave something for my kids. Not wealthy, but comfortable without having to worry about money.

To die before the ravages of Altzhiemers or Dementia take their toll like it did on my parents.

To be given notice that I have 6 months to live. Sudden death kind of sucks. 6 months is just enough to make final plans and pull off some bullshit I thought about for years.

I like to think they are cold and bleak, not so much scenic as isolated? I`m in the middle of England so as far from water as possible, and you`d have to be nuts to go to the sea here as it`s where everyone else goes.

I`ve just been made redundant from my ten-year job working for a charity (older people, so a lot of interaction with Alzheimer`s, terminal illnesses etc.) so maybe don`t rely on the job for any retirement income :eyeroll:

You know what I would really like to be able to do before I die? Meet many of you in person.

Yes I would, because the TRF user name and personality are lodged in my mind, so no matter what you turned out to be called or are in "real" life, this is how I would always see you, and no matter what your real name is, I would call you Hemi.

But... if you are not an exact living replica of La Giaconda, it would be very deflating.
  • Like 1

But... if you are not an exact living replica of La Giaconda, it would be very deflating.

I'll do what Alex used to do to keep Ace entertained in the 70's, I'll put a paper bag over my head. :monalisa:

• Like 1

Try this:

Japan sure has a lot of train lines. I have always found Asian architecture interesting. It must be challenging to build those curved roofs. I read somewhere that the roofs are curved to let more light into the buildings and to prevent rain from eroding the walls. Someone at Quora said Buddhists thought the curved roofs would ward off evil spirits because they move in straight lines. I might have to go there someday. The cemetery night tour sounded pretty cool too.

I didn't actually see the whole video but I've been there a couple of times. It's only about a 1.5-2 hour train ride from my place. The last time I went I spent the night in a temple and did the things I said in my previous post.

As far as trains in Japan, they can be pretty confusing especially in bigger cities like Tokyo and Osaka. If you see the Tokyo subway/train map and how the lines intersect, it looks like a complicated spider web. It's not as hard to maneuver as you may think though. But I have helped countless of overseas tourists get to where they need to go here in Osaka. It's cool for me too because they look so happy and relieved when I give them simplified directions and/or where to transfer trains etc.

http://scontent-nrt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/120037741_2756223647929353_7255295060357978183_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=ct1ELzmt7doAX-6iDAy&_nc_ht=scontent-nrt1-1.xx&tp=14&oh=511d14de2454df4296675451a2bf571f&oe=5F945075

My list, mostly travel:

What is the “pull off some bullshit I thought about for years” you’re referring to? That’s the purpose of this thread. Spill the beans, buddy! :popcorn:

Besides, I don’t think 6 months is enough time. There’s almost always going to be something more that you’d like to do especially if you’re actively pulling off some of the stuff you wanted. This is especially true in regards to traveling. You go to one country, you want to go to a dozen plus more. You go to one or two cities in a country, you want to go to ten times that many within that same country. (Unless of course the experience was a negative one).

Great Lakes I have never seen, sure they would be worth it too.

Nah, I live next to Lake Erie and it's not anything special. Just a bunch of water that goes on for a while. A half hour drive north is Niagara Falls. Now, that is actually worth seeing.

• Like 1

Great Lakes I have never seen, sure they would be worth it too.

Nah, I live next to Lake Erie and it's not anything special. Just a bunch of water that goes on for a while. A half hour drive north is Niagara Falls. Now, that is actually worth seeing.

Another place I've been on my motorcycle travels. Fantastic for sure. Didn't hurt that I was there on a cloudless 77 degree day. :)

The one piece of advice I'd give for a visit to Niagara Falls is to pay for the Maid of The Mist boat trip to near the base of the falls. Well worth the approximately $20

BBz2nfy.jpg

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 1