David Villeneuve's DUNE - Official Trailer

Principled Man

This is going to be really good or really shit....

It has Aquaman, Thanos, Drax the Destroyer and Dr. Eric Selvig in it, so what could possibly go wrong? ;)

• Like 1

I was so alarmed when I saw the Bladerunner sequel trailer a few years ago. I thought it was going to massively suck.

I was so wrong. It’s one of my favorite films ever. Jared Leto couldn’t even screw it up.

So this trailer gives off the same vibe. That this movie will suck. But it will prob be awesome.

My main question:

Why does it seem like so much of the film is influenced by David Lynch’s 1984 film? Like some shots are nearly identical. The fremen look VERY similar. The shot where Paul runs from the worm to stable ground is right from the older film!

Clearly some sort of homage is going on, despite all the press I’m reading about how it’s NOT influenced by that film (which was a box office disaster).

Perhaps Vllaneuve is trying to improve on Lynch’s attempt?

Perhaps Vllaneuve is trying to improve on Lynch’s attempt?

Hadn't he better?

As someone who hasn't read the book/s, my initial eyeroll is at yet another tortured reluctant protagonist who can barely open his mouth to mutter his lines. Enough with the dour navel-gazers.

They can take my money now, though -- but I'll wait until next year if I can still see it in an actual theater.

My main question:

Why does it seem like so much of the film is influenced by David Lynch’s 1984 film? Like some shots are nearly identical. The Fremen look VERY similar. The shot where Paul runs from the worm to stable ground is right from the older film!

Clearly some sort of homage is going on, despite all the press I’m reading about how it’s NOT influenced by that film (which was a box office disaster).

The scenes that you are describing are taken directly from the novel. The Fremen, their stillsuits, the desert, the encounters with the sandworms, etc. are all fundamental parts of the novel. The majority of Dune occurs in the desert. The scene in which Paul and Jessica escape the sandworm is a fairly important part of the story, as is their capture by the Fremen, from whom they eventually earn trust and even obedience.

Lynch's film was a flop, but it did portray some parts of the story fairly accurately.

My main question:

Why does it seem like so much of the film is influenced by David Lynch’s 1984 film? Like some shots are nearly identical. The Fremen look VERY similar. The shot where Paul runs from the worm to stable ground is right from the older film!

The scenes that you are describing are taken directly from the novel. The Fremen, their stillsuits, the desert, the encounters with the sandworms, etc. are all fundamental parts of the novel. The majority of Dune occurs in the desert. The scene in which Paul and Jessica escape the sandworm is a fairly important part of the story, as is their capture by the Fremen, from whom they eventually earn trust and even obedience.

Lynch's film was a flop, but it did portray some parts of the story fairly accurately.

I understand that, but the costuming and framing is very similar to the 84 film. Not the Jordorowski version - not the miniseries - but the Lynch film.

Frank Herbert's Dune (1965): Liet-Kynes is the Imperial Planetologist and father of Chani. He is the Judge of The Change and the leader of the Fremen, who see him as a holy man. He seeks to transform Arrakis from a desert planet to a paradise with plenty of water and vegetation.

Denis Villeneuve's Dune (2020): Liet-Kynes is the Imperial Planetologist and mother of Chani. She is portrayed by Sharon Duncan-Brewster.

STRIKE ONE.

Did anyone see the mini-series that Sci-Fi channel made in the early 2000's? I thought that was really good (if obviously made on a tight budget).

Being a series, they could fit much more into it than you could in a movie.

They also followed it up with Children of Dune

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

The first Dune film was the only movie I have ever walked out on! I am interested to see if I can sit through this one.

I fell asleep. I can skip this.

Saw the first one on Showtime a couple of years ago and it's confusing AF and not in the good Lynchian way. Let's hope Warner doesn't do to this what Universal did to the 1984 one by taking creative control in the editing process.

The end is the one good thing just for the iconic villain scenery chewing by a certain rock star.

Edited by invisible airwave

The first Dune film was the only movie I have ever walked out on! I am interested to see if I can sit through this one.

I fell asleep. I can skip this.

Saw the first one on Showtime a couple of years ago and it's confusing AF and not in the good Lynchian way. Let's hope Warner doesn't do to this what Universal did to the 1984 one by taking creative control in the editing process.

The end is the one good thing just for the iconic villain scenery chewing by a certain rock star.

In regards to David Lynch, other than The Elephant Man, I’m not interested in his stuff. His brand of surrealism doesn’t automatically make scenes intriguing to me.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Frank Herbert's Dune (1965): Liet-Kynes is the Imperial Planetologist and father of Chani. He is the Judge of The Change and the leader of the Fremen, who see him as a holy man. He seeks to transform Arrakis from a desert planet to a paradise with plenty of water and vegetation.

Denis Villeneuve's Dune (2020): Liet-Kynes is the Imperial Planetologist and mother of Chani. She is portrayed by Sharon Duncan-Brewster.

STRIKE ONE.

FFS, why does Hollywood have to meddle when it's not neccessary?

STRIKE ONE.

Too many wussies who aren't willing to take a chance on untested scripts.

They'd rather redo a movie which had mixed reviews, lost money, but has name recognition.

Stupid yet not surprising.

• Like 1

STRIKE ONE.

We know why. Social and political agendas.

• Like 1

Did anyone see the mini-series that Sci-Fi channel made in the early 2000's? I thought that was really good (if obviously made on a tight budget).

I watched both when they aired, and I have the DVD’s. They’re not perfect, but they’re pretty good. I thought Alec Newman was excellent as Muad’Dib.

• Like 1

STRIKE ONE.

Yeah I know, it was more of a frustrated rhetorical question...doesn't stop it being annoying though.

I watched both when they aired, and I have the DVD’s. They’re not perfect, but they’re pretty good. I thought Alec Newman was excellent as Muad’Dib.

I haven't actually seen these, just dismissed them at the time....Think I will have to check them out now as I know your opinion will be one of the more discerning ones.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

STRIKE ONE.

Yeah I know, it was more of a frustrated rhetorical question...doesn't stop it being annoying though.

Asimov’s “Foundation” is now a series (on Apple TV?). I’m sure that it will suffer the same fate.

• Like 1

STRIKE ONE.

Asimov’s “Foundation” is now a series (on Apple TV?). I’m sure that it will suffer the same fate.

Lord save us...shudder.....look what they did to I, Robot...ugh.

STRIKE ONE.

Too many wussies who aren't willing to take a chance on untested scripts.

They'd rather redo a movie which had mixed reviews, lost money, but has name recognition.

Stupid yet not surprising.

It's been the worst I've seen lately. It's so bad that there's a GD Ben Hur remake from a few years ago lately. That's like remaking Godfather and Back To The Future ffs. That may be the most pointless remake to happen since that shot for shot Psycho from Gus Van Sant.

Edited by invisible airwave