Online Neil tribute concert this weekend with Stewart Copeland, Taylor Hawkins and Chad Smith

blueschica

Here are the details in Rolling Stone- proceeds from the $12.99 ticket will go to brain cancer research at Cedars Sinai hospital.

"Drumming royalty will gather virtually this weekend to honor late Rush member Neil Peart. The Police drummer Stewart Copeland, Foo Fighters’ Taylor Hawkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Chad Smith and Chicago’s Danny Seraphine are among the artists who will pay tribute to Peart’s genius as part of a one-night-only online concert, produced by LiveXLive.

The event streams live this Saturday, September 12th, at 8 p.m. ET and will be available to watch on LiveXLive.com and Fite.tv. A ticket to the pay-per-view event costs $12.99 (tickets available here) and lets you stream the show from your phone, tablet or computer. You can also watch it on your TV through the Fite TV app, which lets you cast the action onto the screen via Apple TV, Roku Streaming Stick, Fire TV and more.

Other performers for the night include Cindy Blackman-Santana, Thomas Lang, Alex Gonzalez (Manå), Jim Riley (Rascal Flatts), Dom Famularo, Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge), Keith Carlock, Todd Sucherman (Styx), Kenny Aronoff, Gregg Bissonette (Ringo Starr), Ray Luzier (Korn), and Kristina Schiano. The event will also feature appearances by Carl Palmer, Eric Singer, and Mike Portnoy, among others."

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

This is Modern Drummer magazine's on line version of their annual drum fest

Not sure if I like the platform. Might just wait for the DVD.

Doesn't seem like the whole festival is Neil related music. But I'm sure there will be some heartfelt words

.The 2003 Festival did feature a Rush Tribute.

Here are the details in Rolling Stone- proceeds from the $12.99 ticket will go to brain cancer research at Cedars Sinai hospital.

"Drumming royalty will gather virtually this weekend to honor late Rush member Neil Peart. The Police drummer Stewart Copeland, Foo Fighters’ Taylor Hawkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Chad Smith and Chicago’s Danny Seraphine are among the artists who will pay tribute to Peart’s genius as part of a one-night-only online concert, produced by LiveXLive.

The event streams live this Saturday, September 12th, at 8 p.m. ET and will be available to watch on LiveXLive.com and Fite.tv. A ticket to the pay-per-view event costs $12.99 (tickets available here) and lets you stream the show from your phone, tablet or computer. You can also watch it on your TV through the Fite TV app, which lets you cast the action onto the screen via Apple TV, Roku Streaming Stick, Fire TV and more.

Other performers for the night include Cindy Blackman-Santana, Thomas Lang, Alex Gonzalez (Manå), Jim Riley (Rascal Flatts), Dom Famularo, Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge), Keith Carlock, Todd Sucherman (Styx), Kenny Aronoff, Gregg Bissonette (Ringo Starr), Ray Luzier (Korn), and Kristina Schiano. The event will also feature appearances by Carl Palmer, Eric Singer, and Mike Portnoy, among others."

This is the same as the Modern Drummer Festival, correct?

https://www.livexlive.com/live-events/festival/modern-drummer-festival?source=ref_moderndrummer_moderndrummer&utm_campaign=event-moderndrummer&utm_source=moderndrummer&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=moderndrummer

• Like 1

https://www.livexliv...t=moderndrummer

Yes this is the Modern Drummer Festival and by the way Portnoy is listed as performing.

• Like 1

I've had my tickets for weeks - I've been a Modern Drummer subscriber for 38 years and actually got a little mention myself in the magazine in 2000 (For me, it all started with Neil) - looking forward to it!
  • Like 3

https://www.livexliv...t=moderndrummer

Yes this is the Modern Drummer Festival and by the way Portnoy is listed as performing.

Weird - he was not listed as a performer at first. Now he is.

I've had my tickets for weeks - I've been a Modern Drummer subscriber for 38 years and actually got a little mention myself in the magazine in 2000 (For me, it all started with Neil) - looking forward to it!

I just signed up for the annual pass. Not sure how much I'll use it, as it's my first time on this platform. But it was only $13 more than the regular ticket for this event.

• Like 2

I thought it was great. Most drummers added in parts of Neil solo pieces into their own tributes to him. Loved Greg Bisonette's story about how they just played in "3" together for an entire day.

There were some stories shared from friends and even photos I think may have been in the last year or two before he passed. Hearing is wife, Carrie, speak at the end was hard.

I enjoyed some of The Macallan during the show...Wow, do I miss him!

• Like 4

I loved it - as a drummer, I could listen to solos all day! I've been to some of these drum festivals before, and plenty of clinics, so I knew what to expect. Some highlights:

* some very heartfelt, tear-inducing messages/remembrances from Lorne, Doane Perry, Stewart Copeland, John Good (from DW; nearly in tears), Rob Wallis (Hudson music DVDs), Stewart Copeland, Greg Bissonette among many others...

* for me, Keith Carlock was an absolute beast - his linear funk groove solo just did not let up. Unbelievable.

* Todd Sucherman (Styx) was Fantastic!! a very classy, nice story about Neil and raising the Macallen!

* Modern Drummer establishing the Neil Peart lifetime achievement award and scholarship award. Neil would have loved the scholarship award idea!!

* Carrie Nuttall Peart accepting the lifetime achievement award and her recorded message - very touching, and just tear inducing.

*Greg Bissonette's solo was killer

* Gavin Harrison's solo riffing on the YYZ rhythm - incredible as Gavin always is!

* That dude "66Samus" inhuman speed - sheesh, kits and hands and feet must be bionic.

* Mike Portnoy playing on his NP replica kit, coping some of the well known Peart solo bits and speaking about Neil too..

* Thomas Lang's insane independence drum solo. Dude is incredible.

* Chad Smith (Chili peppers) played 2112 Overture (from memory; so not perfect, but very cool! and Chad always crushes it! A nice tribute)

*Rick Allen (Def Leppard) talking about meeting Neil at their common rehearsal studio and then breaking out a percussion jam

*Kenny Aronoff - talking about being awestruck at the Burning for Buddy session and then meeting and hanging with Neil; his solo was GREAT too!

* I think it was Carrie mentioning that Neil listened from outside the door for all of Olivia's drum lessons (another PEART drummer coming up!!!)

* there was one photo of Neil, in recent years, that he appeared to be wearing a hearing aid. or perhaps it some treatment for cancer? I knew someone with the same deal that had some continuous medication flow deal. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was a hearing aid either; something that certainly concerns me as a drummer (what??) and should concern all musicians.

Anyway, it was just really, really cool tribute; I think Neil would have loved the show (except any part that glorified him; lol) It was a very moving experience to watch - I spent the whole day in Rush binge mode. I started by watching "Time Stand Still" documentary for the first time since it's release, which had me in tears. Then, the 90's Presto show, the 97 Toronto show (part of R40 book), Exit Stage Left, and part of R30. the MD tribute was the icing on the cake.

Edited by cygnify
  • Like 3

Almost forgot, but had to mention - a very cool and endearing tribute from Ari Gold (the director of "Adventures in Power" that weird air-drumming movie). Really cool, touching, story that shows what a stand-up guy Neil was.
  • Like 1